Radio killed the Video star (favorite YouTube discoveries?)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 20:17
  • Post subject: Radio killed the Video star (favorite YouTube discoveries?)
I'm an old fart -so this might not apply to all y'all, but...

1) How often do you listen to music via YouTube, but more importantly, actually watch the video?
2) If not, do you remember a time when you watch music videos & was it a huge impact on your music discovery?
3) Do you find visuals help deepen your appreciation for music? Do some visuals turn you off from that style, etc?

Idk - I'm bringing this up because MTV heavily influenced my early days of music, especially rap music. Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, LL Cool J, Coolio, Warren G, etc. I would have probably never heard of if it weren't for MTV.

Furthermore my love for U2, R.E.M., Nirvana, Radiohead, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, etc. would likely hadn't had developed.

Arcade Fire on the other hand - I just saw a music video of theirs for the first time...

Do you know of any cool music videos of cool new artists you'd like to share?

Is this still major part of music discovery for all y'alls or is it pretty rare?
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 20:24
  • Post subject:
Videos used to be a big thing and i enjoyed watching many in the 80's that said i never liked a song because of a video, i may have enjoyed the video but still thought a song sucked. so i don't think visuals have anything to do with my enjoyment of music. may explain why i am a dead head they sure were not much to look at in concert. though the light shows were often pretty cool.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 22:28
  • Post subject:
Yeah - I wouldn't say visuals make you like a song/music. Music has to stand on it's own.

I will say if you are on the fence with something, sometimes the visual of what a band looks like or the visual representation they make (artistic or dumb) helps me either hate them more or respect them more.

I can think of one band I would vomit to listen to on the radio, but their music video actually made me stop and think and kind of made me respect them a bit more I suppose:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 22:30
  • Post subject:
Then there's this: (probably the only song I like off their new record)

Link

Like I said, first video of theirs I ever saw because I found them musically first and were intriguing without the "sales pitch".

I suppose that's another discussion topic - is a music video a commercial to the song to get you to like it or is it simply a visual/artistic mashup, nothing more, nothing less?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 22:38
  • Post subject:
This short helped me "get" U2's latest release, even if I was hoping for something better.

It's actually fairly well done, in spite of U2. A taste of The Troubles conflict.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 22:49
  • Post subject:
This music video actually got me to go from, hmmm, that was pretty dense, and free style jazz with rap - cool and why does he keep talking about his dick?

To... wow, that's pretty powerful:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 09/04/2017 23:53
  • Post subject:
Im an old guy as well.
I do not watch TV/videos anymore (haven't for > 30 years )but I still listen to a lot of music during week.
Maybe around 30 hours a week. I like to listen to music while i work.

Funny thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. My buddy texted me a video he wanted me to watch.
Unfortunately Im a new member and dont have rights to post youtube videos yet.

So i would ask you to google- foo fighters, learn to fly, italy, 1000 musicians
Check it out its pretty cool. I love the speech by the organizer. Hes so passionate.

One more comment, 30 years ago Peter Gabriel and Van Halen made a huge impression on me because of their videos. At the time, they both had numerous amazing albums, and the videos seemed to reinforce their talents. Music videos were huge. I think, maybe, people watched music videos more than they listened to music.
Today, I'm not sure if there is a music channel. If there is, my teenagers don't watch it. Everyone appears to be connected via the internet.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2017 00:19
  • Post subject:
911Turbo wrote:
Im an old guy as well.
I do not watch TV/videos anymore (haven't for > 30 years )but I still listen to a lot of music during week.
Maybe around 30 hours a week. I like to listen to music while i work.

Funny thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. My buddy texted me a video he wanted me to watch.
Unfortunately Im a new member and dont have rights to post youtube videos yet.

So i would ask you to google- foo fighters, learn to fly, italy, 1000 musicians
Check it out its pretty cool. I love the speech by the organizer. Hes so passionate.

One more comment, 30 years ago Peter Gabriel and Van Halen made a huge impression on me because of their videos. At the time, they both had numerous amazing albums, and the videos seemed to reinforce their talents. Music videos were huge. I think, maybe, people watched music videos more than they listened to music.
Today, I'm not sure if there is a music channel. If there is, my teenagers don't watch it. Everyone appears to be connected via the internet.

Thanks for sharing.

This one?

Link

I feel like I've seen a couple like that before- perhaps smells like teen spirit? interesting feat.

Also, I think YouTube really is "the music channel" now.
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 09/05/2017 00:19
  • Post subject:
i just watched your 4 videos.

I like runaway train. I just find it so difficult to sit and watch a video.

This is the first time i have watched an arcade fire video.The video you provided was pretty good. At the moment all the radio stations here in ontario are kicking the crap out of "everything now", which sounds pretty good. They play Montreal (as you know there home town)this Wednesday, ottawa on Saturday. Apparently, there live shows are kick ass.

I loved U2 but I'm all tapped out. I watched the video but it was painful.
Am I going to buy it? No. There glory days are long gone.

Kendrick Lamar. Never heard of the guy until I joined this site.
After watching the video, I know i won't be listening to his music.
I know hes talented but on the video you presented he acts like a jerk.
talking about his dick and calling other black people ni@@ers.
This behavior turns me off. I just dont get it.

Like I said, Im an old man and crusty.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 09/05/2017 00:31
  • Post subject:
Responding inline in bold:

911Turbo wrote:
i just watched your 4 videos.

I like runaway train. I just find it so difficult to sit and watch a video.
I'm torn - sometimes it's hard for me to sit and listen to music with my full attention and sometimes it's absolute bliss. I'd rather watch a music video than listen to music and be distracted by something else visual. But I know what you mean - if I had to watch music being played ALWAYS... it might bore me too.

This is the first time i have watched an arcade fire video.The video you provided was pretty good. At the moment all the radio stations here in ontario are kicking the crap out of "everything now", which sounds pretty good. They play Montreal (as you know there home town)this Wednesday, ottawa on Saturday. Apparently, there live shows are kick ass.
I really like that song and the video was pretty good. Having a hard time liking the rest of the album though.

I loved U2 but I'm all tapped out. I watched the video but it was painful.
Am I going to buy it? No. There glory days are long gone.
Aren't we all Laughing. The video wasn't really U2, but of The Troubles conflict... are you saying your tired of that, or you just are saying the music was boring as hell (which it more or less is).

Kendrick Lamar. Never heard of the guy until I joined this site.
After watching the video, I know i won't be listening to his music.
I know hes talented but on the video you presented he acts like a jerk.
talking about his dick and calling other black people ni@@ers.
This behavior turns me off. I just dont get it.
I hadn't either. His music is very dense (meaning sophisticated) and takes a bit of effort to understand, which is fantastic, imo. For me, that video took me from a place that was some rapper talking about his dick to a dude pissed off at the exploitation of men at political, social, and racial levels. As for the choice word usage you don't like I remember not getting it either, but then a rapper friend of mine said it was a way to take that word back and change it's meaning and not allow white people to use language to control them anymore. I get where you are coming from, but just wanted to let you know there is a bigger picture to be seen, and actually is exactly why I shared that video - super glad that it was made.

Like I said, Im an old man and crusty. Laughing hehe - I can be too.
  • Visit poster's website