Worst Concert Ever

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2017 12:44
  • Post subject: Worst Concert Ever
I have gone to some questionable concerts in my life. I have an 11 year old who likes pop music so I have seen Bridgette Mendler, Austin Mahone, R5, 5 seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jacob Sartorious, Jake Paul, Sabrina Carpenter, but the worst concert I have ever attended was none of these nor was it any of the final Grateful Dead Tour, dubbed the tour from hell where Garcia was obviously wasting away in front of us and rarely present musically. No it wasn't any local barfly act either, It was Van Halen with David Lee Roth. I have never seen a sloppier more poorly performed concert. Eddie was good at best, his son was meh, the other van halen was bad, but David Lee Roth was an abomination just drunkingly flailing about blowing words left and right slurring like crazy, hitting on women mid song. It was a pathetic display and easily the worst concert I have ever been to and hopefully ever will see. Woopie i got to see a senior citizen do some leg kicks. t was so bad I think I think less of Van Halen records after seeing the show it was just awful. This was 4-5 years ago at their show at the Sovereign Center Reading PA.

Let's here some awful shows and was it just an off night from a band you love or was a train wreck from a band you were expecting more from. Did it change your opinion of the bands work? Did you hate it going in and weren't shocked it blew?
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 09/09/2017 21:03
  • Post subject:
I wouldn't call this bad, but I do remember still when I got to see country singer Joe Diffie ten years ago, his voice quit on him at one point you could say and it was while "Behind Closed Doors" from late country legend Charlie Rich was being covered.

God bless you and Joe always!!!

Holly

P.S. Back in 1992 when Joe was nominated for the TNN/Music City News Male Star Of Tomorrow award, his singing of the song named "The Ships That Don't Come In" couldn't have been anymore flawless. How I wish that the clip of the performance was still at the You Tube website.....his voice at the end of the song just went on forever, and the smile on his face when everyone clapped for him was like the cherry to complete the ice cream sundae. Smile Smile Smile

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2017 23:49
  • Post subject:
Really only 3 that stand out for me.

1.) Judas Priest (Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society)- 2011, The Joe Louis Arena, Detroit

This was a show I was really looking forward to. And it's not even close to being Priest's fault that it was a let down. Although Thin Lizzy has an almost entirely different band than had in years of classics past, they had a good show and the best sound of any of the 3 bands that night. Black Label was a band I was familiar with only by name and of course association with Zakk Wylde. They were deafeningly loud. Obnoxiously loud. The acoustics of the building certainly didn't help Zakk's voice, and when it came time for the fucking guitar solo, Zakk took it upon himself to spend nearly 15 minutes wailing away at a horrendous volume. It became insufferable. Finally Judas Priest takes the stage. The band I'd been waiting for. Flash forward a bit and 6 songs in I'm still waiting for Halford's voice to cut through in the mix. The worst sound I've ever witnessed for a headliner.

Luckily, I saw Priest a couple years after this and they put on a great show. I could hear Halford just fine and he sounded actually surprisingly good.

2.) Shinedown- Rock on the Range 2016.

-I'm not a big fan of Shinedown, although I like a number of their songs (but they sure have been jumping the shark a bit with their most recent material). I've seen them before and they put on a good show. The main reason they are in this thread is because there were at least 4 huge choruses that were obviously being mouthed to the recording. Don't remember anything else in particular about that show because of that huge let down. I think Brent Smith's voice is obviously the best part of the band. Others I talked to who were there noticed as well.

3.) Dream Theater- The Astonishing 2016

Yup.
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 09/10/2017 00:11
  • Post subject:
35 years ago i was very lucky to see Molly Hatchet after they released "Flirting with Disaster".
Im not sure how many members know/heard of this band, but they created some music that still sounds good.
Southern Rock USA style. From Jacksonville, Florida. Comparable to lynyrd skynyrd.
2 really fat lead guitarists. Each trying to out duel each other.
1- 400 lb lead singer who would tell a story before every song, and would love to toss the microphone stand in the air. Amazing deep voice.
every song was played longer just to draw you into their energy.
everyone with long hair and dressed in cowboy attire.
it was a night to remember. a needle in the haystack performance with Blackfoot as an opener.
I travelled 7 hours to see them play in the June cool evening air of northern michigan.

About 4 years ago, a bar called rockpile in toronto advertised the return of molly hatchet.
I went to see this band.
what a disappointment.
in the band, we only had 1 original member and he looked pretty rough.
the drummer was a total joke- he had a wind machine located next to his drum set so that it blew his hair back.
He just wanted to look big time.
It was like watching a bunch of kids --it was so bad.
the singer couldn't sing, the music lacked energy, the level of interest by the band was minimal.

i dont regret going to see them-- it might have turned out incredible.
i guess, if you see/hear enough shitty bands, you appreciate the good ones that come along.
  • Visit poster's website
carpents

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 00:41
  • Post subject:
Bob Dylan, sometime in the late 90s, at an outdoor venue. Atrocious. Luckily, we were primarily there to see Ani Difranco who opened for him, so we left about midway through his mumbling set.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 04:12
  • Post subject: Re: Worst Concert Ever
glynspsa wrote:
It was Van Halen with David Lee Roth. I have never seen a sloppier more poorly performed concert. Eddie was good at best, his son was meh, the other van halen was bad, but David Lee Roth was an abomination just drunkingly flailing about blowing words left and right slurring like crazy, hitting on women mid song. It was a pathetic display and easily the worst concert I have ever been to and hopefully ever will see. Woopie i got to see a senior citizen do some leg kicks. t was so bad I think I think less of Van Halen records after seeing the show it was just awful. This was 4-5 years ago at their show at the Sovereign Center Reading PA.

Laughing

funny not funny.

Probably worst concert... hmmm probably Cage the Elephant when they opened up for Foo Fighters. I was embarrassed for them. There's a small chance it was because their drummer was having surgery and their drummer tech filled in. When Dave Grohl filled in for their last 3 songs, it sounded dramatically better. My sister who came with me left after a song or two. They just sounded horrible.

The next one wasn't because of the band, but the crowd. I got to stand in vomit for about 1/3 of Radiohead at the Hollywood Bowl. I was eventually able to finagle my way to a different part of the venue once things settled down.

Probably after all that, it's some local bands I've seen which were just terrible. I remember playing a gig with a band who actually closed after us and although I'm a huge proponent that your fans and the band should stay for the whole set to support other local musicians... none of us could. It was just terrible. I have no idea who booked them and even worse thought they'd be a good closing act. Then again, I've noticed local venues often put the better bands at the 8 or 9pm slot cause that's when people start coming to the venue/bar and by 11pm when the closer comes on, they already want to go home and get laid or whatever.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 04:16
  • Post subject:
You know one thing - I've seen U2 4 times and they never put on a shit show. I think there's a reason why so many go see their show. You know it's gonna be quality (well I suppose I haven't been to a show in about 10 years, so maybe that trend has changed).
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 09/10/2017 05:08
  • Post subject:
carpents wrote:
Bob Dylan, sometime in the late 90s, at an outdoor venue. Atrocious. Luckily, we were primarily there to see Ani Difranco who opened for him, so we left about midway through his mumbling set.

Luckily when I saw Dylan which was in the same time frame he was pretty good. This time being supported by Patti Smith. When I was in uni one of the guys who worked part time in security was on during one of his mid eighties concert and said he was doing a lot of weed with his performance characterised by gravitating to the shadows because he was freaked out by the lights. Bless him though sounds like the punters were similarly aggrieved as they were at your gig.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 06:04
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
You know one thing - I've seen U2 4 times and they never put on a shit show. I think there's a reason why so many go see their show. You know it's gonna be quality (well I suppose I haven't been to a show in about 10 years, so maybe that trend has changed).
I saw them for the first time this past Sunday in Detroit. Quality would be an understatement.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/10/2017 12:12
  • Post subject:
All the ones where people got shot. Those are the worst concerts ever. Anxious
  • Visit poster's website