John Coltrane, Miles Davis, or Charles Mingus?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which is the best?
John Coltrane
22%
 22%  [7]
Miles Davis
32%
 32%  [10]
Charles Mingus
45%
 45%  [14]
Total Votes : 31

Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 03:43
  • Post subject:
Not sure I can answer--choosing between Miles and 'Trane is tough. Neither is my favorite, not both rank very high and neither stands head and shoulders above the other. Miles at his best is trancemdant. But he also can be boring at times and genuinely jumped the shark late in his career. Trane was also trancendant at his best and more consistent overall so I lean his way. For me, Mingus is awesome, bit I don't see him comparing to the other two.

My Jazz top 5

1. ArtBlakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
2. Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
3. The Wynton Kelly Trio with Wes Montgomery - Smokin' at the Half Note
4. John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
5. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 04:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Charles Mingus, who is also the greatest composer in Jazz history, and possibly of all music post-1950.

My Top Jazz Albums - All Time:

1. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)
2. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)
3. Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor (1966)
4. Ascension - John Coltrane (1965)
5. Escalator Over The Hill - Carla Bley (1971)
119. Blue Train - John Coltrane (1957)

Thank you so much. I know have over 100 new records to check out. Cheers!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 05:29
  • Post subject:
Charles Mingus.

As prolific as Miles Davis is and even as great as he is, there's just something about Charles' albums that I like better. I think they are more intriguing mentally and emotionally. But Miles is prolific and fantastic too. My personal fav is Mingus. Maybe cause he's a bassist? hehe
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 09/13/2017 05:40
  • Post subject:
Space-Dementia wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
Charles Mingus, who is also the greatest composer in Jazz history, and possibly of all music post-1950.

My Top Jazz Albums - All Time:

1. The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus (1963)
2. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane (1964)
3. Unit Structures - Cecil Taylor (1966)
4. Ascension - John Coltrane (1965)
5. Escalator Over The Hill - Carla Bley (1971)
119. Blue Train - John Coltrane (1957)

Thank you so much. I know have over 100 new records to check out. Cheers!

No problem, it will be well worth your time Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 05:53
  • Post subject:
this guy

• Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 06:02
  • Post subject:
with tbsatsl and lmchm, there's something about what Mingus accomplished that nobody else has ever even dreamed of creating. for that, he gets my vote.

i drop coltrane at #2. and davis, davis, davis. #3. i love davis though. davis was the first jazzer i really got into. my gateway drug. a few years ago, i'd have gone davis > coltrane > mingus, and i still love davis... so there's that.

all of these men were phenomenal, and i can't imagine what jazz would be without them. they reshaped everything.

top 5 10:

1 mingus: the black saint & the sinner lady
2 coltrane: a love supreme
3 mingus: let my children hear music
4 davis: in a silent way
5 ellington: far east suite
6 blakey: a night in tunisia
7 coltrane: blue train
8 coleman: the shape of jazz to come
9 weather report: heavy weather
10 diz 'n bird: diz 'n bird at carnegie hall

irrelevant to the discussion: i need to suss out the rest of my jazz list... i have a "top 100" that none a y'all can see, but the order gets so chaotic after #39 that i think it's just a random draw.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 06:54
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Not sure I can answer--choosing between Miles and 'Trane is tough. Neither is my favorite, not both rank very high and neither stands head and shoulders above the other. Miles at his best is trancemdant. But he also can be boring at times and genuinely jumped the shark late in his career. Trane was also trancendant at his best and more consistent overall so I lean his way. For me, Mingus is awesome, bit I don't see him comparing to the other two.

My Jazz top 5

Wonderful top 5 Fischman. Art Blakey's Moanin' is one of my favorites too.

One thing to say purely based off of my own feelings when listening to records featuring both Miles and Coltrane.. Even on albums like fucking Kind of Blue I feel Coltrane's part not only hold their own in Miles' arrangement but some times stand out more to me. That goes with me already admitting to Coltrane being the one I connect with most though.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 14:28
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:

My Jazz top 5

One thing to say purely based off of my own feelings when listening to records featuring both Miles and Coltrane.. Even on albums like fucking Kind of Blue I feel Coltrane's part not only hold their own in Miles' arrangement but some times stand out more to me. That goes with me already admitting to Coltrane being the one I connect with most though.

I would actually take it a step further based on my experience with Kind of Blue, which is probably unique.

When I started getting into Jazz, of course KOB was a frequently mentioned entry point and so I went for it. At the time, I didn't care much for sax in general (my ear didn't take to all those goose honking sounds), but I loved trumpet. So here's an album by supposedly the greatest figure in jazz, and he actually happens to play trumpet--what could be better? But then a funny thing happened when I listened to the album; I found myself captivated by 'Trane's work on the album and really pretty lukewarm about Miles'. KOB actually became my gateway drug to loving jazz sax, thanks to 'Trane. I would have to discover the likes of Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan before I really went bonkers over jazz trumpet.

On a side note, to this day, I have developed great respect for Miles, mostly as a composer and leader, but even then, my favorite Miles work is later, and KOB sits well back of the likes of In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson, Nefertiti, On the Corer, Agharta, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 15:17
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
Fischman wrote:

My Jazz top 5

I would actually take it a step further based on my experience with Kind of Blue, which is probably unique.

When I started getting into Jazz, of course KOB was a frequently mentioned entry point and so I went for it. At the time, I didn't care much for sax in general (my ear didn't take to all those goose honking sounds), but I loved trumpet. So here's an album by supposedly the greatest figure in jazz, and he actually happens to play trumpet--what could be better? But then a funny thing happened when I listened to the album; I found myself captivated by 'Trane's work on the album and really pretty lukewarm about Miles'. KOB actually became my gateway drug to loving jazz sax, thanks to 'Trane. I would have to discover the likes of Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan before I really went bonkers over jazz trumpet.

On a side note, to this day, I have developed great respect for Miles, mostly as a composer and leader, but even then, my favorite Miles work is later, and KOB sits well back of the likes of In a Silent Way, Jack Johnson, Nefertiti, On the Corer, Agharta, etc.

Cool to know I'm not the only one who loves hearing Coltrane on Miles' work haha. I listened to Kind of Blue again last night and something about Coltrane's parts caught my ear immediately, often times they would be the driving force in bringing my attention back to the music completely.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/13/2017 15:56
  • Post subject:
I'd rank them all incredibly high in my favorite artists list. But Miles is number 1 or 1a on it.

1. Miles Davis
2. John Coltrane
2a. Mingus

As for my favorite 5 or 10 jazz albums,...

Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane

Journey In Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane

In A Silent Way by Miles Davis

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website