A "Greatest Hits" Albums Collection For Your Kids

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 09/17/2017 01:28
  • Post subject: A "Greatest Hits" Albums Collection For Your Kids
This is where I'm at. I've got a 10 year old and a 6 year old, and I've been giving them random CDs for their own collections. Ive started thinking about being more purposeful about what I give them.

I'm asking myself, if I could distill the last 50 odd years into 10-20 greatest hits albums for my kids to own, to digest, what would they be?

I haven't arrived at a list yet, bit what would your list be for your kids?
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 02:53
  • Post subject:
option a) pull a song off each album in my top 100.

option b) a jazz record (mingus, coltrane, davis, coleman, ellington, et al), a shoegaze & dream pop record (slowdive, cocteau twins, et al), an electronic album (boards of canada, burial, et al), a rock album (echo & the bunnymen, siouxsie & the banshees, u2, the clash, et al), et cetera et cetera through my favorite "genres".

option c) just give my son radiohead and call it good.

actually, by the time my son is old enough to start a collection, will people still be buying albums, or will streaming put the physical album format out for good? it's not as though the world needs more plastic floating around in it. i mean, sure, we treasure it now, but two or three hundred years from now, almost everything we're listening to now on cd will literally just be garbage, right?
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/17/2017 08:04
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

actually, by the time my son is old enough to start a collection, will people still be buying albums, or will streaming put the physical album format out for good? it's not as though the world needs more plastic floating around in it. i mean, sure, we treasure it now, but two or three hundred years from now, almost everything we're listening to now on cd will literally just be garbage, right?

lol. My daughter's 8 year old friend Agatha jumped in my car on the way to a hike this morning and actually mocked my cd collection as something obsolete. (I have two sleeves in the car and they were on her seat.) It was pretty funny getting musical advice from an 8 year old! lol.

But despite her complete lack of tack, she's probably right. lol. She's like everything you need to hear is on the radio, dumbass! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/17/2017 12:18
  • Post subject:
Well, my 10 year old loves Queen's Greatest Hits Vol. 1, and owns it on CD. He's currently really into Michael Jackson, and I ordered him The Essential Michael Jackson from eBay with his pocket money.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/17/2017 12:23
  • Post subject:
I attempted to create a list this evening and ended up with 25. I struggled to get past the 90's:

1 1962-1966 - The Beatles
2 1967-1970 - The Beatles
3 The Byrds' Greatest Hits - The Byrds
4 Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits - Simon And Garfunkel
5 30 Greatest Hits - Aretha Franklin
6 Greatest Hits - Elton John
7 Greatest Hits - James Taylor
8 Legend - Bob Marley And The Wailers
9 Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium - Stevie Wonder
10 Greatest Hits - Queen
11 Gold - ABBA
12 Spellbound - Split Enz
13 Greatest Hits - Volume I & Volume II - Billy Joel
14 Greatest Hits The Cars
15 Every Breath You Take: The Singles The Police
16 The Essential Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson
17 The Very Best Of Prince - Prince
18 The Whole Story - Kate Bush
19 Anthology - Paul Simon
20 The Best Of Van Morrison - Van Morrison
21 Changesbowie David Bowie
22 Greatest Hits - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
23 Greatest Hits - Bruce Springsteen
24 The Best Of 1980-1990 - U2
25 Recurring Dream - Crowded House

https://www.besteveralbums.com/addchart.php?c=40542
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/17/2017 12:33
  • Post subject:
Some thought processes...

I didn't think they would cope with any Dylan, but thought they might find the Byrds more palatable (and they do some Dylan tunes)

I also wondered at what age i might feel alright about my kids listening to The Rolling Stones "Forty Licks" or Led Zep "Mothership", or even if Prince is very appropriate? And some music is just too bleak. They've got time to be bleak later.

Some observations... they just absorb stuff. I was playing Bob Marley a few days ago, and this morning my little girl was walking around singing, "Every Little a Thing Is Gonna Be Alright". I like that.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/18/2017 00:30
  • Post subject:
This morning I've been weighing up Beatles 1 vs. Beatles 1962-1966 & Beatles 1967-1970.

Beatles 1 obviously followed the rules of only including number 1 singles, and the other two compilations span an entire catalog over 4 discs. So, it's an unfair comparison.

Beatles 1 is kind of kid-friendly, being a single disc, which is often as long as a car trip, and hence as long as their attention span, but it does miss some tracks that my kids have gravitated towards and found memorable (like Here Comes The Sun, I Am The Walrus, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Octopus's Garden). It also seems to do a better job of covering 1962-1966 than it does 1967-1970. Beatles 1 as a first step, followed up by 1967-1970 might be a good plan.

So, if you've ever wondered:

BEATLES 1962-1966 / 1967-1970 Versus BEATLES 1
(BEATLES 1 tracks in bold)

1. Love Me Do
2. Please Please Me
3. From Me to You
4. She Loves You
5. I Want to Hold Your Hand

6. All My Loving
7. Can't Buy Me Love
8. Hard Day's Night, A

9. And I Love Her
10. Eight Days a Week
11. I Feel Fine
12. Ticket to Ride
13. Yesterday

1. Help!
2. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
3. We Can Work It Out
4. Day Tripper

5. Drive My Car
6. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
7. Nowhere Man
8. Michelle - (French)
9. In My Life
10. Girl
11. Paperback Writer
12. Eleanor Rigby
13. Yellow Submarine

1. Strawberry Fields Forever
2. Penny Lane
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4. With a Little Help from My Friends
5. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
6. Day in the Life, A
7. All You Need Is Love
8. I Am the Walrus
9. Hello, Goodbye
10. Fool on the Hill, The
11. Magical Mystery Tour
12. Lady Madonna
13. Hey Jude

14. Revolution

1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
2. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
4. Get Back
5. Don't Let Me Down
6. Ballad of John and Yoko, The
7. Old Brown Shoe
8. Here Comes the Sun
9. Come Together
10. Something

11. Octopus's Garden
12. Let It Be
13. Across the Universe
14. Long and Winding Road, The
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 00:52
  • Post subject:
Good stuff RKM.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 00:54
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
craola wrote:

lol. My daughter's 8 year old friend Agatha jumped in my car on the way to a hike this morning and actually mocked my cd collection as something obsolete. (I have two sleeves in the car and they were on her seat.) It was pretty funny getting musical advice from an 8 year old! lol.

But despite her complete lack of tack, she's probably right. lol. She's like everything you need to hear is on the radio, dumbass! Laughing

Hehe - yup.

I mean I'm starting to feel that way. I'm perplexed though. Sometimes Spotify (even premium) sounds like shit.
So it's convenience vs sound quality sometimes. I compare my 320 vs Spotify premium and my rip sounds way better than their stream. Not always though. Some Spotify stuff sounds great. Likely due to artists dynamic range, recording styles, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/18/2017 02:09
  • Post subject:
I guess I'm bucking the trend. Most adults don't own physical music, let alone kids. I still like collecting, and I guess it's a way of including them in my obsession.

I also think it's easy, when everything is available, to not truly care about any of it, and I would like my kids to form an attachment to a definable, if limited body of music, and to build life-memories around that music. That's exactly what has happened in my life. I think physical music helps do that: you have to handle it, you have to store it, you have to categorise it, you have to look after it, you have to spend your hard-earned pocket money on it.

We have Apple Music in the house, but I also have maybe 1,000 CDs, and almost as much vinyl.

My kids have CD players in their rooms, and since I've been bringing them home CDs, they've been taking great pride in it being THEIR music.

It's true that the world doesn't need more plastic, but no one wants CDs anymore, and think about how many are out there that could save from becoming landfill, and the vast majority of them sound better than the same thing on a streaming service.

When I was a teenager it would take me a long time to save for a $30 CD. Now, I walk out of the thrift store with an armful of them at 50 cents a piece, every week. My kids could buy ten a week and still have change out of their pocket money.
  • Visit poster's website