• Posted: 09/18/2017 11:23
  • Post subject:
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=38238
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 09/18/2017 12:34
  • Post subject:
Cd's will become much more available as nobody wants them anymore. On the other hand, it's NOT a permanent medium! Cd's degrade over the years (20-30 years, max 50 years i'm guessing). I.e. vinyl will be playable long after cd's become unplayable because of the substrate disintegrating.

On the other hand, vinyl is low-tech, meaning that even though a lot of new formats may come, vinyl will always be playable. You can in theory make a pickup from a wheel + needle + paper cone Wink Try doing that with a CD-player Smile

An additional tip for familiarizing your young kid with the music of your favorite bands: Rockabye Baby!: They make lullaby renditions of big bands' music. Great stuff Smile
  • Visit poster's website
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 09/18/2017 14:44
  • Post subject:
wooolf wrote:
Cd's will become much more available as nobody wants them anymore. On the other hand, it's NOT a permanent medium! Cd's degrade over the years (20-30 years, max 50 years i'm guessing). I.e. vinyl will be playable long after cd's become unplayable because of the substrate disintegrating.

On the other hand, vinyl is low-tech, meaning that even though a lot of new formats may come, vinyl will always be playable. You can in theory make a pickup from a wheel + needle + paper cone Wink Try doing that with a CD-player Smile

An additional tip for familiarizing your young kid with the music of your favorite bands: Rockabye Baby!: They make lullaby renditions of big bands' music. Great stuff Smile

Interesting thoughts though I have cds over 30 years old that sound perfect. Vinyl degrades depending on the quality of the stylus. From my experience vinyl deterioration is is infinitely worse and is easier to damage. Nowadays vinyl versions can be 300% more expensive than the cds. Don't count out cds they'll be fashionable soon enough when the shortcomings of vinyl become apparent over the years.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 16:07
  • Post subject:
My first CD was a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers CD.

With American Girl, I was listening to the Strokes before they even came out... hehehe (partially kidding, I like the Strokes too).

Greatest Hits by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  • Visit poster's website
Rich150

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/18/2017 16:24
  • Post subject:
Born in 1969 I had my vinyl collection - then CD's came in and I tried to find all my favourites on CD, mostly successfully. Now vinyl's back and I find myself trying to find my favourite CD only albums on vinyl!

Never the less, I love going into charity shops and finding bargains on CD, rather than paying full whack for brand new.... and if I find a second hand vinyl LP I want then that's even better - a great feeling.....and that's what it's all about....music's for enjoyment, doesn't matter how you like it.
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 09/18/2017 18:30
  • Post subject:
Rich150 wrote:

Never the less, I love going into charity shops and finding bargains on CD, rather than paying full whack for brand new.... and if I find a second hand vinyl LP I want then that's even better - a great feeling.....and that's what it's all about....music's for enjoyment, doesn't matter how you like it.

Same here, whatever comes across your path, be it cd or vinyl, and indeed both have their disadvantages.
Only for new stuff that I really love, I mostly buy the vinyl versions, then put the free download digital versions on a cd or usb drive to listen in the car.. Of course, if you don't really play the actual vinyl much, there's little degradation. Very Happy At home I mostly listen to streamed music..

On topic: As a teenager I was in love with the Cure's 'Staring at the Sea - The Singles' (AKA 'Standing on a Beach'). Became my favorite band and got me heavily into (decent) music altogether..

Standing On A Beach - The Singles by The Cure
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 18:46
  • Post subject:
Since the past three years, I have gotten cd from different artists while driving since my car doesn't take usb and the radio isn't set up at all. And it is a wonder to have music that caters to you. Knowing you will enjoy it. Honestly, I feel like younger generations like myself have it easier. We are given ways to access music way quicker and can determine if we want it or not. The only difference is that some people would like to build up a collection of music that got to them. While others end up using the medium for granted. I'm in the former but that's there choice.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/18/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
Here's a list a friend of mine compiled when I posed the same question to him...

https://www.besteveralbums.com/addchart.php?c=40562[/url]
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 22:13
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

I also think it's easy, when everything is available, to not truly care about any of it, and I would like my kids to form an attachment to a definable, if limited body of music, and to build life-memories around that music. That's exactly what has happened in my life. I think physical music helps do that: you have to handle it, you have to store it, you have to categorise it, you have to look after it, you have to spend your hard-earned pocket money on it.

Beautifully put.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 03:14
  • Post subject:
wooolf wrote:

Standing On A Beach - The Singles by The Cure

Fantastic best of.
  • Visit poster's website