A "Greatest Hits" Albums Collection For Your Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 05:44
  • Post subject:
Rich150 wrote:
Born in 1969 I had my vinyl collection - then CD's came in and I tried to find all my favourites on CD, mostly successfully. Now vinyl's back and I find myself trying to find my favourite CD only albums on vinyl!

Never the less, I love going into charity shops and finding bargains on CD, rather than paying full whack for brand new.... and if I find a second hand vinyl LP I want then that's even better - a great feeling.....and that's what it's all about....music's for enjoyment, doesn't matter how you like it.

Me too. Not anymore, but when I was a teenager and in my twenties I haunted every thrift store and used vinyl store I could find. Several times a week. And if a week went by where I didn't go, I was worried that maybe I was missing something good and somebody else might buy it if I didn't hurry up and go get it. Heh heh. It was my favorite experience when I was younger .
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/19/2017 11:44
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
My first CD was a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers CD.

With American Girl, I was listening to the Strokes before they even came out... hehehe (partially kidding, I like the Strokes too).

Greatest Hits by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

I gave this a spin in the car today. Definitely going on the list. Such great tunes. This is the kind of stuff that was always on the radio, that I took for granted growing up. My kids don't listen to the radio, so they need this.

I miss the days when pop music on the radio was made by actual bands with lead singers who couldn't sing that well but rocked nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/19/2017 11:50
  • Post subject:
I gave this one a spin this morning and the kids love it. Also, like Tom Petty, fits the category of great guitar pop/rock, which is sort of something that's disappeared.

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=15738

^also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to find the correct address to post the album cover using the image tag. I feel old.

Greatest Hits by The Cars

Thanks, woolf

Last edited by rkm on 09/20/2017 02:07; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/19/2017 12:09
  • Post subject:
Another one for consideration

Tears Roll Down (Greatest Hits 82-92) b... For Fears

Last edited by rkm on 09/20/2017 02:08; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
wooolf

Belgium

• Posted: 09/19/2017 12:11
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

^also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to find the correct address to post the album cover using the image tag. I feel old.

Use the field called 'Insert BEA link:' at the top of the Post reply form. Start typing, suggestions will appear, like in the search window.

Love Tom Petty too Smile
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2017 00:33
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

I gave this a spin in the car today. Definitely going on the list. Such great tunes. This is the kind of stuff that was always on the radio, that I took for granted growing up. My kids don't listen to the radio, so they need this.

I miss the days when pop music on the radio was made by actual bands with lead singers who couldn't sing that well but rocked nonetheless.

Hehe. Yup.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/20/2017 20:33
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I attempted to create a list this evening and ended up with 25. I struggled to get past the 90's:

1 1962-1966 - The Beatles
2 1967-1970 - The Beatles
3 The Byrds' Greatest Hits - The Byrds
4 Simon And Garfunkel's Greatest Hits - Simon And Garfunkel
5 30 Greatest Hits - Aretha Franklin
6 Greatest Hits - Elton John
7 Greatest Hits - James Taylor
8 Legend - Bob Marley And The Wailers
9 Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium - Stevie Wonder
10 Greatest Hits - Queen
11 Gold - ABBA
12 Spellbound - Split Enz
13 Greatest Hits - Volume I & Volume II - Billy Joel
14 Greatest Hits The Cars
15 Every Breath You Take: The Singles The Police
16 The Essential Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson
17 The Very Best Of Prince - Prince
18 The Whole Story - Kate Bush
19 Anthology - Paul Simon
20 The Best Of Van Morrison - Van Morrison
21 Changesbowie David Bowie
22 Greatest Hits - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
23 Greatest Hits - Bruce Springsteen
24 The Best Of 1980-1990 - U2
25 Recurring Dream - Crowded House

https://www.besteveralbums.com/addchart.php?c=40542

I LOVE your list. It's awesome. there is only like one or two people there that I don't like
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:38
  • Post subject:
While I agree - it's a fantastic list, I am missing something from the 2000s. Maybe even a bit more from the 90s?

2010s... IDK. I'm having a hard time falling in love hard with any new artists. There's some cool ones, don't get me wrong, but they just aren't on that same level... dunno. Probably me.

Does anyone find an artist who debuted in 2010 or later is on par with top 50 artists of all time? I mean maybe Kendrick? He's the only one in the top 50 of this site who almost debuted past 2010, and even he isn't a favorite of mine. Total quality and totally deserves that spot in the top 50, absolutely. He lacks a pop flavor I like from the likes of Dr. Dre, OutKast, or Kanye, and for outside of rap, those who are listed in the top 50. But then again, that's one of his biggest strengths, right?

IDK - thoughts on new music - music from the 2000s/90s which you'd have your kids listen to?
I'd also add some Jazz and Classical to that list.

Here's my list I'd add to yours: (best of type stuff too)
The White Stripes
Nirvana
Beck
Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer
RHCP
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Muse?
Coldplay?

From your eras I would add to:
R.E.M.
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Motown
And then like a rockin' 50s mix
Maybe only take out a couple

Classical:
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky
Handel
Copland

Jazz:
Armstrong
Prima
Billie Holiday

Mind you my kid is a baby and I haven't really thought about it probably as much as you.
  • Visit poster's website
tawtaw

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:52
  • Post subject:
Lots of good thoughts already. I might have missed it, but I didn't see Neil Young or Bowie's greatest hits albums. My kids loved those during their elementary years, and if they end up liking them they can jump into both artist's less accessible work for many years to come.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 04:59
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
While I agree - it's a fantastic list, I am missing something from the 2000s. Maybe even a bit more from the 90s?

2010s... IDK. I'm having a hard time falling in love hard with any new artists. There's some cool ones, don't get me wrong, but they just aren't on that same level... dunno. Probably me.

Does anyone find an artist who debuted in 2010 or later is on par with top 50 artists of all time? I mean maybe Kendrick? He's the only one in the top 50 of this site who almost debuted past 2010, and even he isn't a favorite of mine. Total quality and totally deserves that spot in the top 50, absolutely. He lacks a pop flavor I like from the likes of Dr. Dre, OutKast, or Kanye, and for outside of rap, those who are listed in the top 50. But then again, that's one of his biggest strengths, right?

IDK - thoughts on new music - music from the 2000s/90s which you'd have your kids listen to?
I'd also add some Jazz and Classical to that list.

Here's my list I'd add to yours: (best of type stuff too)
The White Stripes
Nirvana
Beck
Smashing Pumpkins
Weezer
RHCP
Foo Fighters
Arcade Fire
Muse?
Coldplay?

From your eras I would add to:
R.E.M.
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Motown
And then like a rockin' 50s mix
Maybe only take out a couple

Classical:
Beethoven
Mozart
Bach
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky
Handel
Copland

Jazz:
Armstrong
Prima
Billie Holiday

Mind you my kid is a baby and I haven't really thought about it probably as much as you.

I agree he easily could have had some pretty good Best ofs from the 90s. As far as after that, I myself would have trouble coming up with a decent best of. I'm sure millennials would think differently, but anyone besides them feels that the music of the last 20 years is very slight. In 20 or 30 years from now, none of the current music will be played on classic rock or oldies stations in the way 60s or 70s rock is played now. Its just not memorable enough to become classic.. It's too forgettable. And i agree he needs more of the things you named at his list like some Motown Rolling Stones another classic 70s bands. My Best of chart that I made a few months ago has ALL OF THOSE. Check it out. tell me what you think. Heres link

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=38238
  • Visit poster's website