A "Greatest Hits" Albums Collection For Your Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 05:09
  • Post subject:
Well and to be fair - no 10 year old really will absorb this much music. This probably would be introduced over time.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 10:54
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep them coming.

I agree about the lack of newer artists, and there's definitely some significant holes in there, like no Rolling Stones. It's true that they're only going to absorb so much music at a young age, and if my goal is for them to find a finite collection of music that they attach their childhood memories to, then I have to keep the list short-ish, otherwise the whole idea gets a bit diluted.. From there, I hope they love music enough to explore more and more as they grow.

My list is evolving.

I did think of this album from the new millennium, which is technically not a greatest hits album, but it is a great album by a great artist, and the repertoire touches on Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Ron Sexsmith and Jane Siberry.

Hymns Of The 49th Parallel by k.d. lang
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:00
  • Post subject:
My list is also lacking female representation.

I've currently added this album. I'm a big fan, and I think this is quite accessible for kids. It's probably a 90's and 00's equivalent to the Tom Petty greatest hits album when you think about it: radio songs that rock, with connections to rootsier forms of music.

The Very Best Of Sheryl Crow by Sheryl Crow
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:10
  • Post subject:
This is perhaps more of an Australia and New Zealand thing, but if you're aware of Crowded House and the Finn Brothers, you'll hopefully know of Split Enz, which came before. There are some very memorable songs from my own childhood from Split Enz. I went looking for a compilation, which are a bit hard to come by. Spellbound is a two disc anthology, and is a bit too much for the kids, I think.

This album, however, is perhaps not quite enough, but features fantastical orchestral treatments by Eddie Raynor of the Split Enz material, with the Finn brothers and others singing. The songs are so melodramatic, that an orchestra seems to fit perfectly.

Enzso by Enzso

Last edited by rkm on 09/21/2017 11:27; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:14
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
This is perhaps more of an Australia and New Zealand thing, but if you're aware of Crowded House and the Finn Brothers, you'll hopefully know of Split Enz, which came before. There are some very memorable songs from my own childhood from Split Enz. I went looking for a compilation, which are a bit hard to come by. Spellbound is a two disc anthology, and is a bit too much for the kids, I think.

This album, however, is perhaps not quite enough, but features fantastical orchestral treatments by Eddie Raynor of the Split Enz material, with the Finn brothers and others singing. The songs are so melodramatic, that an orchestra seems to fit perfectly.

Enzso by Enzso

I LOVED Split Enz. Six Months in a Leaky Boat and I Got You are two of the greatest singles ever.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:24
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:

Enzso by Enzso

And don't forget Sandy Allen. World's Tallest Woman!!! HA HA HA. I love that song it's so great
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:31
  • Post subject:
Bobby, there's so many great tunes. They're so manic (I See Red), so pantomimey (My Mistake), so melancholy (Poor Boy), so filled with dread (Dirty Creature), so hopeful and idealistic (Message To My Girl).
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:37
  • Post subject:
Bobby,

I checked out your list. I'm gonna check out this album that I didn't know existed...

Dreamland by Joni Mitchell

...to see if I prefer it to

Hits by Joni Mitchell

Some artists, and Joni might be one, seem ill-served by the concept of a greatest hits album.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:38
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Bobby, there's so many great tunes. They're so manic (I See Red), so pantomimey (My Mistake), so melancholy (Poor Boy), so filled with dread (Dirty Creature), so hopeful and idealistic (Message To My Girl).

All three of those songs I named were big hits in America. I know because I was a little kid when they came out and I heard them on the radio. And then when I got a little older I bought all the albums that they were on like true colors
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/21/2017 11:41
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
All three of those songs I named were big hits in America. I know because I was a little kid when they came out and I heard them on the radio. And then when I got a little older I bought all the albums that they were on like true colors

I didn't realise that. Would they be as well known as Crowded House or Neil Finn's solo material?
  • Visit poster's website