Who was the first New Wave band?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
TimeLion

• Posted: 09/18/2017 19:35
  • Post subject:
Along with alternative rock and indie rock, one of those generic labels intended to denote rock music outside the mainstream, but which quickly came to represent the mainstream. These genres are perhaps more interesting for their social, rather than their musical, signification.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2017 20:15
  • Post subject:
I always think of it as the modern lovers
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 02:41
  • Post subject:
elo269megv wrote:
So then who would you say were the first post-punk bands?? d'oh!

Pere Ubu, Wire, Magazine, PIL were a few of the first I think

I's check out Wire second album - Chairs Missing - as perhaps one of the most accessible intoduvction to the genre. I think PIL' s Metal Box is probablyy my favorite. Lots of great stuff though.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 03:20
  • Post subject:
elo269megv wrote:

From this wiki it sounds like they had roots in the same place and some jackass decided he knew shit and said oh, that's not new wave, that's post-punk. Probably just to fool people into thinking he knew something.

Quote:
Before the early 1980s, many groups now categorized as "post-punk" were subsumed under the broad umbrella of "new wave", with the terms being deployed interchangeably. "Post-punk" became differentiated from "new wave" after their styles perceptibly narrowed.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 03:30
  • Post subject:
elo269megv wrote:

Again, different people will probably give you different answers. One that I've heard mentioned as one of the first to be called that is Public Image Limited. I've also read shit that cited Talking Heads, Wire, Siouxsie and the Banshees. But who knows really.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 03:42
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
From this wiki it sounds like they had roots in the same place and some jackass decided he knew shit and said oh, that's not new wave, that's post-punk. Probably just to fool people into thinking he knew something.

Quote:
Before the early 1980s, many groups now categorized as "post-punk" were subsumed under the broad umbrella of "new wave", with the terms being deployed interchangeably. "Post-punk" became differentiated from "new wave" after their styles perceptibly narrowed.

Lmao. Youre right. People just like making up new genres in new names and renaming things. To me, Post Punk is when the earliest punk bands decided Punk was a dead end musically, and decided to use a disco beat in their music instead. ; this would include bands like Talking Heads in Public Image Limited.
  • Visit poster's website
elo269megv
Punk Rock Detective

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 04:17
  • Post subject:
I think the confusion stems from bands like The Cure and Talking Heads being considered both new wave and post-punk. So there's a line thats been blurred between the two "genres" which is what makes it hard to classify bands as such.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 05:15
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Quote:

Lmao. Youre right. People just like making up new genres in new names and renaming things. To me, Post Punk is when the earliest punk bands decided Punk was a dead end musically, and decided to use a disco beat in their music instead. ; this would include bands like Talking Heads in Public Image Limited.

I mean I get the need to do a new thing cause originally punk wouldn't have used synthesizers. Hell no. Post Punk was like hey, what if we took the attitude of punk, but branched out and made it a bit more artistic. Maybe less 4 dudes playing 3 chords and a bit more sophisticated. But no 2 minute guitar solos like Zeppelin. No classic rock sound.

New Wave was (if I can make up stuff too) like what alternative stood for - it's like this genre of other. It's not disco. It's not punk. It's this middle ground where pop and real art gets mixed.

That right there somehow is typically some of my favorite music. Music that has elements of pop, but still gives the finger to the man.

Whatevs.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/19/2017 05:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Quote:

I mean I get the need to do a new thing cause originally punk wouldn't have used synthesizers. Hell no. Post Punk was like hey, what if we took the attitude of punk, but branched out and made it a bit more artistic. Maybe less 4 dudes playing 3 chords and a bit more sophisticated. But no 2 minute guitar solos like Zeppelin. No classic rock sound.

New Wave was (if I can make up stuff too) like what alternative stood for - it's like this genre of other. It's not disco. It's not punk. It's this middle ground where pop and real art gets mixed.

That right there somehow is typically some of my favorite music. Music that has elements of pop, but still gives the finger to the man.

Whatevs.

Me too. I think good rock requires some of the old fashioned pop virtues. Namely a good Melody and some good f****** hooks. It makes all the difference in the world. And that's basically what I think is wrong with most modern music. Good, catchy hooks and melodies are not really a priority anymore. And as far as New Wave, there was the more commercial variety and the more underground variety. I happen to like both. I like Flock of Seagulls just as much as I like for instance Joy Division or Talking Heads. Heh heh.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 09/19/2017 15:47
  • Post subject:
I think it was Borges who said that every great artist creates his predecessors. Same, I think is true for genres. So once there was New Wave New York Dolls became the first New Wave artists. In a way... But not really. Same for VU, Stooges etc.

First time I became aware of the term New Wave was in 1977 with this marvelous collection:

Geef Voor New Wave by Various Artists

To me New Wave meant a direct continuation from Punk with more sophisticated lyrics, tunes, instrumentation.
So on this one candidates were Eddie and the Hot Rods, Adverts and X-Ray Spex. Motörhead got on by mistake. Same for Sex Pistols or Jonathan Richman etc.

And I would consider: Stranglers. Very much punk style. But the keyboards was the first New Wave touch.

Last edited by Liedzeit on 09/19/2017 16:15; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website