View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 01:53
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
This thread is a total sausage fest.

I listed 4 women off the top of my head. Not total, yo...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 02:08
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
I actively detest country: all eras, all styles, all sub-genres (with the exception of some bluegrass).

I grew up in country-land amid people who's family trees don't fork. I will forever associate this mind-numblingly simple music with people who are dead from the neck up.

That said, there are a few exceptions.

I love Glen Campbell. His last album of all new, original music, Ghost on the Canvas (2011) is brilliant from end to end. And while he's deservedly famous as a vocalist, he could do things on a six string that rival the best of rock's greatest guitar wizards.

Speaking of wicked good country guitarists, Jerry Reed also fits that bill. And a fun-loving, good-hearted kick in the pants he is as well. I can stomach him pretty easy.

Although he was capable of so much more, Chet Atkins is usually listed as country, and he's a master picker who has influenced many great guitarists across virtually all possible genres.

Very few could keep up with the above, but one who could was the incomparable Roy Clark. When he set aside the hee-haw nonsense, dude could positively rip. A master indeed.

On the ladies' side, in spite of the twang, Patsy Cline was definitely something special. Other than that, not much of note other than country has some real lookers among its ladies.

I totally agree with everyone you just named. Jerry Reed Chet Atkins Roy Clark. I have albums by all of them and they are endlessly listenable and enjoyable. And this just proves my original point that it's been decades since country has produced anything that comes close to being more than mediocre.. there's a few more guitarists I would add to that group too. And a few more singers also. The New Traditionalist Movement failed to produce anything worthwhile. And Alt-Country sounds great in theory but in practice it's just awful. There's not even an equivalent to the pretty good Country-Rock of the seventies.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 02:12
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Fischman wrote:
I actively detest country: all eras, all styles, all sub-genres (with the exception of some bluegrass).

I grew up in country-land amid people who's family trees don't fork. I will forever associate this mind-numblingly simple music with people who are dead from the neck up.

That said, there are a few exceptions.

I love Glen Campbell. His last album of all new, original music, Ghost on the Canvas (2011) is brilliant from end to end. And while he's deservedly famous as a vocalist, he could do things on a six string that rival the best of rock's greatest guitar wizards.

Speaking of wicked good country guitarists, Jerry Reed also fits that bill. And a fun-loving, good-hearted kick in the pants he is as well. I can stomach him pretty easy.

Although he was capable of so much more, Chet Atkins is usually listed as country, and he's a master picker who has influenced many great guitarists across virtually all possible genres.

Very few could keep up with the above, but one who could was the incomparable Roy Clark. When he set aside the hee-haw nonsense, dude could positively rip. A master indeed.

On the ladies' side, in spite of the twang, Patsy Cline was definitely something special. Other than that, not much of note other than country has some real lookers among its ladies.

I totally agree with everyone you just named. Jerry Reed Chet Atkins Roy Clark. I have albums by all of them and they are endlessly listenable and enjoyable. And this just proves my original point that it's been decades since country has produced anything that comes close to being more than mediocre.. there's a few more guitarists I would add to that group too. And a few more singers also. The New Traditionalist Movement failed to produce anything worthwhile. And Alt-Country sounds great in theory but in practice it's just awful. There's not even an equivalent to the pretty good Country-Rock of the seventies.

Oh...no you did not....

Neutral
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 02:16
  • Post subject:
I'm not a country guy myself. But Ween's 12 Country Greats is one of my all time favorite records. Also for recent records, I would give these records a listen:

• Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 02:20
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I listed 4 women off the top of my head. Not total, yo...

Exactly. If they'd only actually read my original post they would have seen that more than half my list ARE WOMEN. But I guess they're trying to prove how sexist everybody here is. Which requires ignoring the visible evidence.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/22/2017 03:43
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
This thread is a total sausage fest.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/22/2017 11:23
  • Post subject:
Do these count as country?

Wrecking Ball by Emmylou Harris

Link

Red Dirt Girl by Emmylou Harris

Link

All The Roadrunning by Mark Knopfler An...lou Harris[/url][/youtube][/youtube]

Last edited by rkm on 09/22/2017 12:18; edited 5 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/22/2017 11:31
  • Post subject:
I've only discovered Patty Griffin in the last year or two.

Don't laugh, but this was the gateway drug to Patty Griffin, and I still like it (it's the only album of theirs I like)

Home by Dixie Chicks

It has some Patty Griffin songs on it, and now I have every Patty Griffin album. I guess you might class her as contemporary folk/ country. She's amazing.

Silver Bell by Patty Griffin

1000 Kisses by Patty Griffin

American Kid by Patty Griffin

Servant Of Love by Patty Griffin

Last edited by rkm on 09/22/2017 12:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/22/2017 11:34
  • Post subject:
I like a lot of stuff that Buddy Miller has produced, and some of his own releases too.

Universal United House Of Prayer by Buddy Miller

Great Dylan cover...

Link

Buddy & Julie Miller by Buddy & Julie Miller

Written In Chalk by Buddy & Julie Miller

Link

This is in a similar vein

Wreck & Ruin by Kasey Chambers And Shane Nicholson

Last edited by rkm on 09/22/2017 12:10; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 09/22/2017 11:37
  • Post subject:
Lucinda Williams' album, Car Wheels On A Gravel Road, is often touted as being her best, but I like these:

World Without Tears by Lucinda Williams

The Ghosts Of Highway 20 by Lucinda Williams
  • Visit poster's website