• Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Stover75 wrote:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Sto ver75 wrote:
bob byb5 wrote:
Sto ver75 wrote:
I wish I did - especially PIL's Metal Box on vinyl, a real collector's item. Your collection sounds good mate.

I have the vinyl of Led Zeppelin 3 with the famous kaleidoscopic wheel but they are ten-a penny. Now you have motivated me to find some novelty vinyl! Luckily vinyl stores are springing up all over the place where I live. Must scour a couple of them.

The only album I have with a novelty value is a CD of Spiritualized - Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. It is a cardboard box done up like a medicine packet. The CD inside is placed in an opened foil packet and there is a stuck-on piece of white paper like a doctor's precscription which advises you to play twice a day to relieve symptoms. That's all I have.

As well as PIL I would like to own a copy of Sticky Fingers with the zipper, and it would be great to own a copy of The Velvet Underground And Nico with the peelable banana. Isn't one of the bananas pink or something? Or luminous?

Oh and an early pressing of The Beatles White Album on vinyl would be great to own too, in mint condition.
I don't ask much!! Maybe I'll own them one day.

That Spiritualized sounds awesome. I've never seen that before. I don't know anybody with the Velvet Underground with the peelable banana. They must be very rare. I forgot all about Led Zep but I used to have it. And what's different about the early pressing of White Album?
And I just added another one to my list above, Uriah Heep. Do you know that one?

I didn't know the Uriah Heep album, it looks cool. They are going for between £35-£80 here on ebay UK. I have heard of Uriah Heep but never heard them. Will definitely give them a listen soon.

I just read online about The Velvet Underground & Nico album. The first few thousand copies had a peelable banana bearing the legend "Peel slowly and see" and underneath the sticker was a flesh-coloured banana. Copies of those vinyls must be very rare, like you said, cuz they only made a few.

A quick check on ebay and I found they have re-issued the album on vinyl with a peelable banana sticker, at a reasonable price. They even have one on pink vinyl. I am a fan of coloured vinyl, even though I only own a handful of coloured vinyls.

Regarding the early pressings of The White Album, on vinyl, they were all stamped with an individual number, so the earlier the pressing the more collectable the vinyl is. To get a good condition early copy can set you back quite a bit of bread, I don't know how much.

I like colored vinyl too. I used to have more than I do now but now I just have a Dolly Parton 12" disco single on pink vinyl. I have a couple picture discs too, if you remember those. They were albums with a picture on them that they made in the 70s and 80s

I love picture discs but I don't own any - which ones have you got?

I have seen 3 recently, all quite expensive: Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World, Beatles Sgt Pepper and Jimi Hendrix' Electric Ladyland with the naked women on it. If I had more dough I would get them.

I have The Beatles Blue album (1967-70) on blue vinyl, there are loads of them about. I also have two recent gold vinyls: Bowie's Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust. That's all I've got. I did have Radiohead's OK Computer OKNOTOK on blue vinyl but I took it back to the record shop. I figured I would never play it to keep it mint so I bought the black vinyl instead becos I wanted to hear it on vinyl. I may regret letting go of that one.

Dolly Parton on pink vinyl is cool, I didn't know she did a disco track. What's it called?

I got Blondie parallel lines picture disc where it's a picture of Debbie Harry licking a record. David Bowie Let's Dance and Boston. The Dolly Parton is called baby I'm burnin, which isn't so hot. But the flip side is fantastic. It's a pretty much rock song called Two Doors Down. It goes "two doors down they're laughing and drinking and having a party....". It's her most awesome song. You were nuts to bring back that album, u should have kept it

I guess you are right. I was strapped for cash but I regret taking it back now. I would have kept it mint and all.
Those 3 picture discs sound great, the Blondie one especially, I have Parallel Lines in my Top 100, a great record. I have Lets Dance on CD and also Boston, I played that the other day. I was told they used to use the Boston album in music stores to demonstrate the quality of a record player because itis such a well-produced album. The founding member of Boston was a bit of a technical wizard, I believe. I used to volunteer on a Community Radio station 10-14 years ago as a DJ and More Than a Feeling became a bit of an anthem for the station.

Just checked out Two Doors Down, its pretty good.

Yeah that Boston album was famous for its fantastic engineering. It still sounds fantastic now so imagine what they thought when it came out. That's why I never get sick I love listening to More Than A Feeling. One of the greatest singles ever. I recently made a greatest singles chart and of course that's on it. Check out my greatest singles chart. Hold on I'll send you the link tell me what you think
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2017 04:52
  • Post subject:
I loved reading the beautiful back and forth you two had. Honestly warmed me heart a wee bit.

No special vinyl for me. Except I do have a Leys Get it on vinyl with a weird pattern on it, colored kinda pink and white. I don’t remember. I’ll see if I can find it.

I also have that spiritualized CD, I think. Wait, maybe not. No. Nevermind. I just looked and it’s a normal box with some features you mentioned. I have a couple cool CDs with like special packaging, but I forget which and I just checked and I couldn’t find them. Still a bit drunk from the Father John Misty show. Speaking of which, I think he releases his albums with awesome instructions on how to listen, and with strange features. Everyone who bought a hard copy of I Love you Honeybear probably got the same cool unusual packaging he loves to do.

Okay bye

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/23/2017 05:52
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I loved reading the beautiful back and forth you two had. Honestly warmed me heart a wee bit.

No special vinyl for me. Except I do have a Leys Get it on vinyl with a weird pattern on it, colored kinda pink and white. I don’t remember. I’ll see if I can find it.

I also have that spiritualized CD, I think. Wait, maybe not. No. Nevermind. I just looked and it’s a normal box with some features you mentioned. I have a couple cool CDs with like special packaging, but I forget which and I just checked and I couldn’t find them. Still a bit drunk from the Father John Misty show. Speaking of which, I think he releases his albums with awesome instructions on how to listen, and with strange features. Everyone who bought a hard copy of I Love you Honeybear probably got the same cool unusual packaging he loves to do.

Okay bye

Cheers Mercury
I am just getting into Father John Misty
He is really ace.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2017 12:28
  • Post subject:
I don't seek out things like this (I do love a great album cover, but I'm more concerned with the music)...but I do have this.

My former sister in law used to work as a nanny. One of her clients was Sam Phillips, who was married to T-Bone Burnett. Knowing my love for the film and the soundtrack, she was able to get one of these for me. It's a promo only copy of the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack in a cd sized Dapper Dan tin.

• Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2017 20:47
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I don't seek out things like this (I do love a great album cover, but I'm more concerned with the music)...but I do have this.

My former sister in law used to work as a nanny. One of her clients was Sam Phillips, who was married to T-Bone Burnett. Knowing my love for the film and the soundtrack, she was able to get one of these for me. It's a promo only copy of the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack in a cd sized Dapper Dan tin.

Thats cool as hell. There's lots of cool promo stuff
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 09/23/2017 20:54
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

Dope. Could've made a great vinyl pressing.

I agree though, not all to into novelty releases. Typically, they don't fit on shelves well. The CD pressing of Everything That Will Happen Will Happen Today is pretty cool though.

• Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/24/2017 09:24
  • Post subject:
Yeah I have that version of ladies and gentlemen.... A single cd in a blister pack as mentioned. The version you want though is each of the tracks on their own 3 inch cd in a large blister pack.

After an unopened version of this in mint condition?
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/607356?ev=rb
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2017 18:21
  • Post subject:
Besides what's been listed already, I'm really only remembering boxed set stuff, which usually has extra goodies/different packaging, but I wouldn't really call it anything special.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2017 18:50
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Dope. Could've made a great vinyl pressing.

I agree though, not all to into novelty releases. Typically, they don't fit on shelves well. The CD pressing of Everything That Will Happen Will Happen Today is pretty cool though.

That thing with the house on it is fucking awesome.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 09/25/2017 00:13
  • Post subject:
I loved my original Jethro Tull Stand Up, which actually stood up when you opened it:

• Visit poster's website