Foo Fighters live show?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 03:21
  • Post subject: Foo Fighters live show?
Foo Fighters are coming to my city in a few months. A couple of my friends are going and they invited me along. I am not overly familiar with their music - I like what I've heard but what I've heard is only about 4-5 songs. What I'm wondering is, do they put on a good show? I'm tempted to go, because I always enjoy gigs if I'm with friends, even if I'm not that familiar with the band, but the tickets are very expensive ($170). If I went I'd try and familiarise myself with their stuff more, of course.

So, have you seen the Foos live, and would you recommend them?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2017 04:34
  • Post subject:
I've never paid that kind of money for any ticket ever. That's ridiculous.

As for their show, I think they put on a good show. I've seen them 3 or 4 times. They have an unreal aspect of time. Sometimes Grohl will stop in the middle of the song and stop everything and then pick back up. It's pretty fun. He's a great showman. And the whole band is great. Plus you'll see Animal in real life.

They are getting older though. So if you are looking for a super high energy show, you won't get one like I did in 2003 (likely). I saw them again in 2011 (If I remember right) and the energy wasn't as great (maybe cause it was Utah instead of Los Angeles?).

I mean Foo Fighters are like my favorite band. If the tickets were $50 (are any GA or cheap tickets available?), then I'd say you should absolutely go. But that might be because I'm a cheap skate. It could be the Beatles resurrected in their 1967/8 selves and I'd still scoff at $170 tickets. I'd better shit gold and find the meaning of life at that show.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2017 04:37
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 09:22
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I've never paid that kind of money for any ticket ever. That's ridiculous.

Yeah, I would tend to agree, hence my hesitation. Particularly for a band I'm quite unfamiliar with.

sethmadsen wrote:
As for their show, I think they put on a good show. I've seen them 3 or 4 times. They have an unreal aspect of time. Sometimes Grohl will stop in the middle of the song and stop everything and then pick back up. It's pretty fun. He's a great showman. And the whole band is great. Plus you'll see Animal in real life.

They are getting older though. So if you are looking for a super high energy show, you won't get one like I did in 2003 (likely). I saw them again in 2011 (If I remember right) and the energy wasn't as great (maybe cause it was Utah instead of Los Angeles?).

I mean Foo Fighters are like my favorite band. If the tickets were $50 (are any GA or cheap tickets available?), then I'd say you should absolutely go. But that might be because I'm a cheap skate. It could be the Beatles resurrected in their 1967/8 selves and I'd still scoff at $170 tickets. I'd better shit gold and find the meaning of life at that show.

That's good to know. Almost makes me want to go, because I think I'd enjoy it. According to my friend whose going, the $170 tickets are seats around the middle. I don't get it, but the shitty seats where you can't even see the band are supposedly more expensive. There's definitely some cheaper tickets available - still not less than $100, though.
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 09:27
  • Post subject:
I've seen them a couple of times, the most recent about 4 years ago, and I did not hesitate to get tickets again this time, even at that price, as soon as they went on sale. Of course Weezer playing as well was an added incentive...I've never seen them before.
Foo Fighters put on an amazing show, played for about 3 hours so you get your money's worth, played their hits from their whole career, and Dave is a performer with a great stage presence who obviously loves what he does and that comes across when seeing them. I highly recommend seeing them live. It's a show you won't forget.
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 09:30
  • Post subject:
Purplepash wrote:
I've seen them a couple of times, the most recent about 4 years ago, and I did not hesitate to get tickets again this time, even at that price, as soon as they went on sale. Of course Weezer playing as well was an added incentive...I've never seen them before.
Foo Fighters put on an amazing show, played for about 3 hours so you get your money's worth, played their hits from their whole career, and Dave is a performer with a great stage presence who obviously loves what he does and that comes across when seeing them. I highly recommend seeing them live. It's a show you won't forget.

Thanks for reminding Weezer is supporting them. That's a bonus! And show length - I forgot they were fucking marathons! Would you still recommend even not being too familiar with their back catalogue?
  • Visit poster's website
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 09:48
  • Post subject:
Oh for sure I would still recommend them.They are the sort of live band that you can't help but get caught up in the feel good rock and roll, and have a great time. I went with a bunch of friends, some big fans, some who didn't know them much at all and not even into that sort of music usually and they all loved it.
  • Visit poster's website
TimeLion

• Posted: 09/27/2017 12:50
  • Post subject:
Explain to your friends that $170 would pay for five or more concerts at a local club, all of which are likely to be more enjoyable than an aging post-grunge band in a large arena.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 09/27/2017 21:50
  • Post subject:
Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands to see live. I've seen them twice, once on the Wasting Light tour and the other in 2015 on the Sonic Highways tour when Dave had a broken leg, it was still electric. The whole band is very tight, but Dave is one of the most engaging frontmen I've ever seen live.

Even if you don't like a lot of their music, they are a band I definitely recommend seeing live. I'm assuming though given how ridiculous $170 is for a concert ticket it has to be a resale site ticket? I've had great seats for them both times and probably paid $120 combined.

Anyway, if you can find a way to get in for a reasonable price, do it. They're great live.
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 09/27/2017 23:15
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Foo Fighters are one of my favorite bands to see live. I've seen them twice, once on the Wasting Light tour and the other in 2015 on the Sonic Highways tour when Dave had a broken leg, it was still electric. The whole band is very tight, but Dave is one of the most engaging frontmen I've ever seen live.

Even if you don't like a lot of their music, they are a band I definitely recommend seeing live. I'm assuming though given how ridiculous $170 is for a concert ticket it has to be a resale site ticket? I've had great seats for them both times and probably paid $120 combined.

Anyway, if you can find a way to get in for a reasonable price, do it. They're great live.

Yeah, I figure, I don't go to many stadium gigs, I may as well go. In Australia, though, for a band of their stature $60 tickets are a non-entity - I wish! These weren't resale, they were straight from the main seller, and even the cheapest tickets were about $100, which is about average - Arctic Monkeys tickets were that much when I saw them a few years ago.
  • Visit poster's website