View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2017 19:31
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Really tough breakup last night. A year and four months together, and we even lived together over the summer. But yesterday she came to the conclusion that this was the wrong time in her life for commitment and ended it. Nothing I could have done to change things. I was totally blindsided and I'm pretty devastated, but that's life.

Wow! Sorry to hear that, brother! I'm crazy impressed with how well you seem to be handling it! Hang in there! Thank the gods for good music , right?!

Thank you for the kind thoughts!

Laughing I think I gave the impression that I'm handling it better than I actually am Neutral

Musically it's hard because we made each other mixtapes, exchanged a lot of musical recommendations, and owe a good portion of our tastes to each other. So there is so much music that now has an association with her. I probably will have to take a break from certain genres and artists, and may end up listening to much less music for a bit.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2017 16:52
  • Post subject:
I only scored one album to add to my chart this week, but checked out a bunch of new music. I ended up listening to more jazz than usual.

A lot of controversial opinions this week. Feel free to request an explanation for any of them. Remain In Light may seem low, but it's actually a promotion from a 2.5 (in 2012) to a 3.5. Maybe some of these will continue to grow on me with time.

Scored Re-Listens For The Week Ending 10/28

The Classics:

Karma - Pharoah Sanders 4.26

~~~~~~~~~~

New Listens / Non-Scored Re-Listens [*] For The Week Ending 10/28

The Classics:

Cosmogramma - Flying Lotus*

The Strong:

The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus*
Giant Steps - John Coltrane*
Marquee Moon - Television
The Man Machine - Kraftwerk

The Merely Solid:

Kind Of Blue - Miles Davis*
Blue Train - John Coltrane*
A Divina Comédia Ou Ando Meio Desligado - Os Mutantes
Remain In Light - Talking Heads*
Heaven / Earth - The Free Design
Double Nickels On The Dime - Minutemen
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/30/2017 02:17
  • Post subject:
Something I wonder (and sometimes ask) when I see someone rating by track and then giving an overall score based on that average is ... why don't you account for the fact that tracks have varying running times and would therefore have varying degrees of impact on the overall average? For instance, if you had an album where one song was 1/2 the running time of the album (20 min) and the other half was five 4-minute songs, that one 20 minute song would have the same impact on the overall rating as all five of the others combined, shouldn't it? (this example isn't directly related to any of the albums you've rated, I don't think, but I used it because it easily demonstrates what I mean)
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/30/2017 06:04
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Something I wonder (and sometimes ask) when I see someone rating by track and then giving an overall score based on that average is ... why don't you account for the fact that tracks have varying running times and would therefore have varying degrees of impact on the overall average? For instance, if you had an album where one song was 1/2 the running time of the album (20 min) and the other half was five 4-minute songs, that one 20 minute song would have the same impact on the overall rating as all five of the others combined, shouldn't it? (this example isn't directly related to any of the albums you've rated, I don't think, but I used it because it easily demonstrates what I mean)

In these cases (mainly for tracks over 10 minutes) I give them a double weight for the average score.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2017 12:20
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:

My scores are actually mostly time-weighted, because I agree with your critique of a pure average. 1/3 is an unweighted track average, 1/3 is a time-weighted track average, and 1/3 is the time-weighted track average of the top-rated 40 minutes (which works as a bonus for ambitious, sprawling albums with a lot of great material). I do the weighting down to the second, which means each album's score takes a few minutes to calculate, but it seems worth it so far.

All three sub-scores for each album are listed in the RYM version of my chart. Should I cut out the 1/3 of the score that is not time-weighted? I guess one could make that argument. However, I think tracks do have some meaning as intentional artistic subdivisions of an album.
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/30/2017 22:36
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
In these cases (mainly for tracks over 10 minutes) I give them a double weight for the average score.

Why not just going by their individual running times relative (by percentage) to the overall running time? Too much work/too time consuming? Just don't think it's worth being so precise?
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/30/2017 22:46
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
My scores are actually mostly time-weighted, because I agree with your critique of a pure average. 1/3 is an unweighted track average, 1/3 is a time-weighted track average, and 1/3 is the time-weighted track average of the top-rated 40 minutes (which works as a bonus for ambitious, sprawling albums with a lot of great material). I do the weighting down to the second, which means each album's score takes a few minutes to calculate, but it seems worth it so far.

All three sub-scores for each album are listed in the RYM version of my chart. Should I cut out the 1/3 of the score that is not time-weighted? I guess one could make that argument. However, I think tracks do have some meaning as intentional artistic subdivisions of an album.

Right on, thanks for the explanation. If it works for you and your criteria, I wouldnt mess with it. Its good to see that you have a method that is practical in relation to your thought process and seems to match your real world experience with the albums.

I am rarely an active user on RYM, but I will check out your chart and ratings shortly.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 10/31/2017 19:38
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
Why not just going by their individual running times relative (by percentage) to the overall running time? Too much work/too time consuming? Just don't think it's worth being so precise?

Indeed all of those. I just keep my scores on BEA and than a spreadsheet with in the columns the different scores where per album I just put the number of tracks with that score (and for some long tracks two times and for very short tracks without added value 0 times; and I score no more than 13 tracks per album) and then a weighted average to define the final score. I just can't keep track of all the track lengths of every individual track (three track's a Lady hihi): this excelfile now contains 1986 albums with scores.
Of course I would like to be more precise (I have a lot of albums with an average score of 80 because all the individual tracks are scored 80 but that's changing: I started from my itunes scores which are just 20,40,60, 80,100 but now I'm gradually rescoring everything in steps of five and to differentiate my average scores a bit I also have a score of 86 instead of 85) but on the other hand I already feel that by scoring this way I don't give enough credit to the album as a whole.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/31/2017 22:48
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Indeed all of those. I just keep my scores on BEA and than a spreadsheet with in the columns the different scores where per album I just put the number of tracks with that score (and for some long tracks two times and for very short tracks without added value 0 times; and I score no more than 13 tracks per album) and then a weighted average to define the final score. I just can't keep track of all the track lengths of every individual track (three track's a Lady hihi): this excelfile now contains 1986 albums with scores.
Of course I would like to be more precise (I have a lot of albums with an average score of 80 because all the individual tracks are scored 80 but that's changing: I started from my itunes scores which are just 20,40,60, 80,100 but now I'm gradually rescoring everything in steps of five and to differentiate my average scores a bit I also have a score of 86 instead of 85) but on the other hand I already feel that by scoring this way I don't give enough credit to the album as a whole.

Ok thank you, fair enough.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 10/31/2017 22:55
  • Post subject:
The other point I have a question on is people's ratings systems, which in most cases to me, don't make sense in practice. If yours works for you, then by all means continue, but I do wonder (not just for you, but for many), about the ratings of tracks being, in many cases, equal or greater than the whole rest of an album (which also includes the songs that are apparently greater than it!?). I think it's highly unlikely that you/anyone (in a vast majority of cases) actually thinks a given track (especially when taking up 1/10th or so of a given album, is actually better than the rest of said album. Perhaps I'm mistaken but...

As in this case:

1. Do You Wanna Dance? 4.5/5 - Great arrangements and vocal layering make this cover stand out.
2. Good To My Baby 3.5/5 - Good musically, but it's worth asking why people think he treats his girlfriend poorly. Probably something to that.
3. Don't Hurt My Little Sister 2/5 - Lyrically, this takes a turn for the awful when the love of a boyfriend and big brother are compared.
4. When I Grow Up 4/5 - Introspective and beautiful, sullied a bit by some corniness in the diction.
5. Help Me, Ronda 4/5 - The arrangement here really doesn't hold to candle to the later single version, and the fadeouts are pointless, but this is a good song all the same.
6. Dance, Dance, Dance 4/5 - Good upbeat dance track.
7. Please Let Me Wonder 5/5 - Sublime. One of the best songs The Beach Boys ever recorded, the lyrical yearning perfectly reflected in the vocals and music.
8. I'm So Young 4.5/5 - Strong cover of The Ronettes' tune, but the vocals aren't quite perfect like the original.
9. Kiss Me, Baby 5/5 - The best song on the album and one of their best songs period. Amazing pre-choruses. Fantastic arrangement. Great tune about getting back together.
10. She Knows Me Too Well 2.5/5 - Great vocally and instrumentally. Disturbing lyrics that reveal an abusive relationship.
11. In The Back Of My Mind 4.5/5 - Another strong introspective ballad with good lyrics and vocals.
12. Bull Session With The "Big Daddy" 2.5/5 - Disposable spoken word that should have been left off the album.

Genres: Pop Rock, Baroque Pop
Overall Score: 3.86

Do you truly think that The Beach Boys' song "Please, Let Me Wonder" and "Kiss Me, Baby" is (a) better than the entire rest of the album put together, which also includes these very "5/5" songs but is only collectively "3.86/5", is (b) one of the greatest works of music in history (with perfect scores of 5/5), and (c) if not, what is your criteria?
  • Visit poster's website