NBA 2017-2018 Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/09/2018 23:20
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
I'm a huge baseball fan. Can't tolerate much of the NBA at all any more.

And having a league where the same two teams are in the finals 4 years in a row while 28 others have pretty much zero chance doesn't help.

Except it isn't true about other teams having zero chance. Indiana, Boston, and Houston had good chances to beat Cleveland and Golden State in the playoffs, and blew them.

But I'm with you on baseball.
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/10/2018 06:08
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
And having a league where the same two teams are in the finals 4 years in a row while 28 others have pretty much zero chance doesn't help.

It's the first year that I followed the playoffs closely, but it didn't seem like other teams had "no chance". Rockets were on the verge of eliminating Warriors, and could maybe even do it if not for the Chris Paul injury. And Cavs being in the finals required superhuman efforts from LeBron both vs Pacers and Celtics.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/10/2018 18:37
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
It's the first year that I followed the playoffs closely, but it didn't seem like other teams had "no chance". Rockets were on the verge of eliminating Warriors, and could maybe even do it if not for the Chris Paul injury. And Cavs being in the finals required superhuman efforts from LeBron both vs Pacers and Celtics.

Be that as it may. I haven't watched an NBA game in three years. I did not watch a single minute of an NBA game this season, or last season, regular season or post season. My finals predictions have been perfect for the last 2 years. That tells me that the NBA is boring and way too predictable.

I really shouldn't be in this thread. I do apologize for that.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/16/2018 16:38
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Be that as it may. I haven't watched an NBA game in three years. I did not watch a single minute of an NBA game this season, or last season, regular season or post season. My finals predictions have been perfect for the last 2 years. That tells me that the NBA is boring and way too predictable.

I don't know, i don't agree that just because the winner is the one that everybody predicted, this means the league/sport is boring. In this case especially, as it's just wrong to say that other teams had no chance. Last year, just looking at the results, maybe.

Maybe it's because I'm used of European leagues, where the same (richest) teams always compete for the titles, but I don't even see it as that much of a problem that two teams have dominated the league recently. These dynasties happen when everything aligns for a certain team and they get the right pieces, but when the league is set up the way it is, with the salary cap and the draft, it's never gonna be more than a few years (and it doesn't necessarily mean that these teams have it easy during these years either), and it just doesn't happen that a team will be a perennial contender. Even the most successful franchises have had to rebuild.

And tbh I prefer this way than the European league system, and while it would be better if the finals were closer (maybe the whole conferences/division system could be replaced by something better so you'd actually get the two best teams in the finals), I think at the very least you will see different teams contending in the following years. Celtics, Sixers for sure.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2018 17:51
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

I don't know, i don't agree that just because the winner is the one that everybody predicted, this means the league/sport is boring. In this case especially, as it's just wrong to say that other teams had no chance. Last year, just looking at the results, maybe.

Maybe it's because I'm used of European leagues, where the same (richest) teams always compete for the titles, but I don't even see it as that much of a problem that two teams have dominated the league recently. These dynasties happen when everything aligns for a certain team and they get the right pieces, but when the league is set up the way it is, with the salary cap and the draft, it's never gonna be more than a few years (and it doesn't necessarily mean that these teams have it easy during these years either), and it just doesn't happen that a team will be a perennial contender. Even the most successful franchises have had to rebuild.

And tbh I prefer this way than the European league system, and while it would be better if the finals were closer (maybe the whole conferences/division system could be replaced by something better so you'd actually get the two best teams in the finals), I think at the very least you will see different teams contending in the following years. Celtics, Sixers for sure.

Great & interesting perspective! Thanks!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/16/2018 19:53
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Pretty anticlimactic as expected.

man, i just like watching lebron choke -- him giving up is unfitting of someone who is supposed to be a contender for the GOAT argument
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/17/2018 00:17
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
man, i just like watching lebron choke -- him giving up is unfitting of someone who is supposed to be a contender for the GOAT argument

Lebron is undoubtedly one of the most individually talented players of all time. But it takes a team to win a championship. Lebron scored 50 points in game 1, and the only other Cleveland player that did anything significant in game 1 was JR Smith, and what he did was he forgot what the score was at the end of the game, running out the clock instead of shooting the ball. That idiotic blunder cost the Cavs the game. For Lebron, that's gotta be pretty demoralizing. Can you blame him?

19loveless91 wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Hmm, in Europe the same (richest) teams always compete for titles? Sounds like Romanelli's favorite sport (it's one of my favorite sports too).
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 06/18/2018 05:10
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Can you blame him?

yes
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2018 22:20
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
Lebron is undoubtedly one of the most individually talented players of all time. But it takes a team to win a championship. Lebron scored 50 points in game 1, and the only other Cleveland player that did anything significant in game 1 was JR Smith, and what he did was he forgot what the score was at the end of the game, running out the clock instead of shooting the ball. That idiotic blunder cost the Cavs the game. For Lebron, that's gotta be pretty demoralizing. Can you blame him?

19loveless91 wrote:
Romanelli wrote:

Hmm, in Europe the same (richest) teams always compete for titles? Sounds like Romanelli's favorite sport (it's one of my favorite sports too).

Well...in baseball, yes. The Yankees dominated for a couple of long periods of time. But look at recent history...aside from a nice little every other year run by the Giants, the MLB has been much more competitive. And in the same span that the NBA has had exactly 2 teams make the finals, MLB has had 7 different teams in the World Series in the last 4 years, with 4 different champions in 4 years, 2 from each league. And 3 of those 4 series went 7 games.

In the NBA, it's become this...whatever team LeBron plays for will be in the finals. He's been in the finals 8 times in a row. Eight. In other words...why bother with an 82 game regular season if you already know who is playing for the title? The level of talent is not high enough for 30 teams to be competitive, so you have a very small number of "elites" (they are not...they are just better than the bad teams) where the few higher level players are.

Is he the greatest of all time? I say no. Not even close. Why? Because the game is cheaper...you're allowed to get away with more. Because the best players call the shots as to who they play with. Because the players in the league around him are not as well trained in the game as they used to be. Because one and done in college means less disciplined and lesser quality opponents in the pros.

I used to love the NBA. Now I find it simply unwatchable. Too much drama. Too much god awful traveling. Too much selfish play. Not enough passing. And HORRIBLE defense. I attribute most of it to players not staying at the college level for long enough to mature into the game, making the NBA not much more than a league of sophomores and juniors with a handful of NBA quality players.

IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/21/2018 15:51
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:

In the NBA, it's become this...whatever team LeBron plays for will be in the finals. He's been in the finals 8 times in a row. Eight. In other words...why bother with an 82 game regular season if you already know who is playing for the title? The level of talent is not high enough for 30 teams to be competitive, so you have a very small number of "elites" (they are not...they are just better than the bad teams) where the few higher level players are.

Is he the greatest of all time? I say no. Not even close. Why? Because the game is cheaper...you're allowed to get away with more. Because the best players call the shots as to who they play with. Because the players in the league around him are not as well trained in the game as they used to be. Because one and done in college means less disciplined and lesser quality opponents in the pros.

As I mentioned before, this was my first year following the league closely, including watching quite a few matches live (there was a period when I couldn't really sleep at night because of a busted shoulder, and it just became a habit). In previous years, I have followed the results, but only really watched American players in action during international competition. I was sure that LeBron won't make it to the finals this time. I knew the history, I saw everyone saying they'll just turn it around like they do every year, but outside LeBron, they just didn't have any players that would be consistent enough. Even in the middle of the first round, I was sure it won't happen. Tbh, without Kyrie getting hurt, Celtics still probably take that series. I put the fact that he made it for the eighth year in the row to two things, mainly:

One, East vs West Conference. I think this format is just outdated and fails to put the two best teams in the Finals. This year, Rockets and Warriors were far above any other team. In previous years you had OKC and Spurs being better than any other (non-Lebron) team in the East. I think this will shift with the rise of Celtics and Sixers, but I think it's pretty clear that the East had less championship worthy teams in this decade.

Two, LeBron is just that good. I had my bias against him, because honestly, if you don't watch the league, the things you read in the news are "The Decision" and constant Jordan comparisons, and you build this image of a villain in your head, because you kinda buy into the idea that the league will do anything it can to put him in the finals. Watching his run in the playoffs this year, I felt none of that. I couldn't believe how he could take over some games. Raptors series was particularly brutal.

So, basically - if Warriors being in the finals for 4 years straight is them getting the right pieces for a dynasty (as can happen), then LeBron being there for 8 years straight is the combination of weaker East and him being as good as advertised. I don't really buy that the competition itself is weaker as it was either.

Quote:

I used to love the NBA. Now I find it simply unwatchable. Too much drama. Too much god awful traveling. Too much selfish play. Not enough passing. And HORRIBLE defense. I attribute most of it to players not staying at the college level for long enough to mature into the game, making the NBA not much more than a league of sophomores and juniors with a handful of NBA quality players.

IMO.

I actually totally agree about travelling. About not enough passing... Is it really worse than it used to be? Weren't previous decades much more about iso-ball? It's definitely a "star-centered" sport, especially when you compare it to euroball (where nobody really dominates the game), but wasn't it always like that? Jordan Bulls, Kobe/Shaq Lakers? Genuine question.

Anyway, draft tomorrow. I'm actually really interested this time around to see where Dončić ends up. For those that don't know, this year he - won Eurobasket with Slovenia (as second best player behind Dragić) and ended up in the ideal 5 of the tournament, won Euroleague and Spanish League with Real Madrid, and won MVP in both leagues. As an 18-19 year old. This is pretty much unprecedented. Managed to get me hyped for basketball for the first time since... I dunno, 2009 Eurobasket.
  • Visit poster's website