NBA 2017-2018 Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 06/22/2018 17:08
  • Post subject:
As a big NBA & soccer fan, I can say without reservation that the most parity is in the NHL. At the beginning of the season, it's perfectly reasonable to say 20+ teams have a shot at the title.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/02/2018 01:44
  • Post subject:
With the big announcement from an hour ago, this thread is now over, and the NBA 2018-19 thread has unofficially begun.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 07/03/2018 01:57
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
With the big announcement from an hour ago, this thread is now over, and the NBA 2018-19 thread has unofficially begun.

Ugh. I have the 'can't beat them, join them' mentality in the NBA right now. The style of play is the best it's ever been, but the lack of competitiveness grosses me out. Where is the competitive spirit? Jordan, Johnson, Bird etc... wanted to beat each other.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/03/2018 11:43
  • Post subject:
Well I mean it's not like LeBron joined a current contender. It'll just make the West as a whole stronger. But it does look like the Warriors will have an easy way to the title next year with Cousins, even if he won't be 100% after the injury. That part sucks.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 07/18/2018 02:57
  • Post subject:
Yeah it feels like the cosmos are having a great laugh at everybody's expense with Boogie joining the warirors for the NBA-equivilant of pocket change. Given even if he's a total bust in Oakland they, if healthy, are still pretty much unbeatable. I mean who's going to challenge them in the west? Even if Lakers get Kawhi without selling the farm, I still don't think they'll have enough. And I mean Thunder? Trailblazers? Jazz? Houston after losing some key role players? It seems like the playoffs will just be a waste of most player's energy.

The East should be more intriguing just to see who know leads the pack after Lebron's exit, the Celtics seem like the obvious contender since they have the best talent & coaching as long as Hayward comes back strong and they add some role players, Philedalphia has the best young talent outside of Phoenix but may still be a year or two away, the Raptors maybe if they improve their roster and stop being, well, the Raptors in the playoffs, Indiana def seems like a team on the rise and Milwaulkee possibly if they can keep improving the talent around Giannis, the Wizards will be... okay maybe... and then it's pretty much a huge dropoff after that. The 8th seed will probably be a 35-36 game winner.

Have to say It'll be fun seeing all the young players this year and how some teams position themselves but otherwise baring some big shocks or a Warriors meltdown their name on the championship trophy already looks enshrined. Hopefully there's some suspense leading up to it, though... don't count on it.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 07/19/2018 01:36
  • Post subject:
Wow. The Raps certainly swung for the fences with Leonard.

Why I don't like the deal:
1. Probably for one year. He may resign with the Raptors, but more than likely he wants to play in a big US market (LA) with endorsement potential. We'll see. If the Raps make the finals, he make stay like Paul George did in OKC, but I'm not holding my breath.
2. He's still an injury risk. Even beyond the quad, he's not exactly a guy who plays a full season, and now he's coming off a huge injury.
3. Diva? What happened in San Antonio?
4. Derozan, while infuriating at times (choking in playoffs, iso-ball, poor defense) was a rare all-star that stayed loyal to Toronto (unlike Mighty Mouse, McGrady, Carter, Bosh, etc...) He was a nice guy and worked tremendously hard. I'm OK with them giving up a 25 point scorer to get a player like Leonard, but not in the way they did it. Way to reward loyalty.

Why I do like it:
1. Leonard is fantastic on D, and an all-around top-5 superstar in the NBA when healthy. You don't just sign those guys to play in Canada.
2. Green is a great throw-in. 3&D textbook.
3. Poeltl was the one kid I didn't mind losing. It's better that they kept Wright & Anunoby.
4. The package (DD, Poeltl & a protected (20+) 1st Rounder), is WAY less than SA was originally wanting (DD or Lowry + 2 kids + 2 1st rounders). Shows that Ujiri was smart in waiting.

So I'm split. If they manage to re-sign Leonard, this is brilliant. If he's hurt, this is awful. If he plays for one season then bolts for LA, I guess this is OK.
syptixed

• Posted: 07/20/2018 09:44
  • Post subject:
I haven't read any of this yet but lebron is cursed and still has 3 rings. Curry might be the most fun player to watch ever. Everyone on the 85-91 pistons teams should be put in jail.

Check out my chart.
  • Visit poster's website