Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 02/09/2018 06:09
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
RE: Album suggestions

I actually really appreciate it!

I am neglecting my medieval music parties to wrap up 2017. But if you highly recommend, I'm all ears.

Well, I like everything on my list. I narrowed it down from about 70 to 35. That's no guarantee that you'll like any of it, though.

As stupid as it sounds, this album is the first time I realised that folk music is important for the storytelling.

Chronicles Of The Great Irish Famine by...n O'Rourke

I chose this one over Father John Misty, because it was smart-ass and funny, but less depressing.

Dark Matter by Randy Newman

Every year I try to find things to cover my tastes. I like blues-based music, but not necessarily 12 bar blues. This is African blues.

Elwan by Tinariwen

This one's perfectly sad and beautiful. Not as sad as Mount Eerie.

Stranger In The Alps by Phoebe Bridgers
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 17:44
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Man, those Mormon girls certainly are bubbly! I feel like I've inhaled helium, or something.

Laughing

It is a bit of satire (it's two girls the whole time making fun of it).... but yes that's also a bit of the culture.

Sometimes my brother and I call them the fun girls, and not for reasons you'd think... they respond to everything like a "valley girl" saying, oh my gosh, that's so fun! They are responding to something like, oh so I just painted my fence because it was falling apart... Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 17:46
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
RE: Album suggestions

I actually really appreciate it!

I am neglecting my medieval music parties to wrap up 2017. But if you highly recommend, I'm all ears.

Well, I like everything on my list. I narrowed it down from about 70 to 35. That's no guarantee that you'll like any of it, though.

As stupid as it sounds, this album is the first time I realised that folk music is important for the storytelling.

Chronicles Of The Great Irish Famine by...n O'Rourke

I chose this one over Father John Misty, because it was smart-ass and funny, but less depressing.

Every year I try to find things to cover my tastes. I like blues-based music, but not necessarily 12 bar blues. This is African blues.

Elwan by Tinariwen

This one's perfectly sad and beautiful. Not as sad as Mount Eerie.

Stranger In The Alps by Phoebe Bridgers

Awesome - I'll check em.

Also I laughed out loud at the folk music being story telling. In some instances that's all it's good for. In others there's a great balance between the music and the story telling.

Also those sound like some cool albums.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 00:33
  • Post subject:
Alright... here's a good song from each album I liked in 2017:
https://play.google.com/music/playlist/...FZlA%3D%3D

https://open.spotify.com/user/122614575...M0OzDbhiew

EDIT: so I've been listening to this list and am pretty happy with it. It's a quick "fruits of labor" check, and there's some good fruit here. I'm not shuffling it due to the multi-part songs and the flow is ok somehow even though I didn't attempt to care about that aspect.

It appears you can find gems if you actually look for them.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/10/2018 17:47; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 02:55
  • Post subject:
And I am contemplating updating my 2010s list now, but I feel when I built my original 2010s list, I had some kind of benchmark at the time. My 2017 benchmark is totally different so I'm mixing and matching stuff... might have to go with gut feel on if a 2017 album actually is better than what I already have (not that it couldn't be, it's just my "objective subjective" feels a little off somehow.

I want to check out those records RKM (espcially the Tinariwen album as I have heard some of their stuff, but I don't think a full album just yet). Part of me thinks the Randy Newman will blow my mind and part of me thinks I'd be bored (will never tell until I check it, right?).

Anyway, I'm thinking of working on it and I'm also contemplating how to stop waterboarding myself with musical endeavors hahaha (It's me, not you).
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 18:39
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Suggestions to make your list longer...

This was my favourite album of the year. Subdued, darkly-lit piano and hushed vocal. Sounds like the late night confessions of your flat-mate sitting at the piano in another room.

Slowmotionary by Ethan Gruska

The Way Is Read. The Staves (folky harmonising sisters) collaborate with modern creative instrumental group, yMiusic. Accessible, yet not dumbed down. Best of both worlds.

The Way Is Read by The Staves & YMusic

I could go on with other suggestions, but here's my list if you're interested...
https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=35636

Just from a first listen:

The Gruska album is interesting. The style is usually not something I like (yet it did have a maturity/flair/complexity most don't in this genre), but his lyrics and honest delivery do indeed bring me in for more. Your description is spot on. I like how quickly he gets you into an emotional thought and then only visits shortly. Lyrically The Valley stood out the most. Musically there wasn't anything that really =I'd listen to it again.

The Way is Read:
This was musically fantastic. Take Me Home and All My Life were musically intriguing. Somehow I didn't connect with this emotionally at all though. Probably more me.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/10/2018 20:11
  • Post subject:
Thanks for listening, Seth. With Gruska, it's that candidness and the relative simplicitly of the arrangements that totally draw me in. It's what makes it completely believable to me, and emotional authenticity is something that ranks high for me in music (and life). Sonically, I really like the choice to use an acoustic piano with the quiet pedal on. You can almost hear the piano hammers. Somehow, this contributes to the humanity of it, combined with his hushed vocal. In a way it reminds me of Satie. Some classical guys are a bit dismissive of Satie, but there is something enduringly beautiful about Gymnopédie, for instance, in its stillness and simplicity, and I hear that sort of thing in this.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/10/2018 20:18
  • Post subject:
The Way Is Read. Total ear candy. I found it musically intriguing also. Particularly how their voices at times become another instrument in the ensemble. I can understand not connecting to this one emotionally as much. Their last record was produced by Justin Vernon of Bon Iver. It's probably less adventurous, but I find myself listening to it more, and connecting more with the songs. Again, thanks for checking them out.

If I Was by The Staves

Last edited by rkm on 02/10/2018 20:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 20:18
  • Post subject:

I see what you mean RKM. Putin and The Great Debate were great and the rest was pretty solid too. First listen of course.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 02/10/2018 20:22
  • Post subject:
I imagine Randy Newman could do a pretty funny song about Utah.
  • Visit poster's website