testing the staying power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
DJTommy

• Posted: 10/22/2017 03:52
  • Post subject:
There are some recent albums that are guaranteed to be remembered decades from now on. My list would be (in no order):

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

Good Kid, M.A.A.D City by Kendrick Lamar

Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown

The Money Store by Death Grips

Piñata by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib

Last edited by DJTommy on 10/22/2017 11:41; edited 2 times in total
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2017 03:59
  • Post subject:
there are still more jazz classics tho

Magnetoception by Joshua Abrams

and rock classics

Dan'l Boone by Dan'l Boone
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2017 04:20
  • Post subject:
Yeah... I mean even hip-hop is something like 40 years old now.

Not sure why we are talking genre and what's hip now? Are you suggesting staying power and genre have a correlation or?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2017 04:24
  • Post subject:
we're kinda goin freeform with the convo but I think the idea is that genres have fertile periods where they produce classics but then things get exhausted and good albums come out but they don't have the staying power of the classics. I'd disagree tho because there is still lots of fertile territory all over the place, like so much ground getting pregnant and shit
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/22/2017 04:50
  • Post subject:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah - I'd agree. There's stale shit all over the place and amazing shit all over the place. Perhaps there's an average one could take and find the golden era, etc., but the art form is only as dead as the creative process.
  • Visit poster's website
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 01:37
  • Post subject:
wow i started to do this when this was first posted but passed out in the middle and just found this tab still open... anyways..

-----------

this is such a great idea omg! i'll do a few of mine...

1. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There (1 play 2017, 1 play 2016)

This stacks very well on my overall still (and tops this year) -- although on my recent overhaul I bumped it out of my top 10 and to 20-something. Thinking over the album, it still feels pretty perfect to me, I guess it's just slightly less where I'm at. Wouldn't call this a falling out necessarily. But... I guess it does look that way based on the numbers Razz

2. Frankie Cosmos - Zentropy (0 plays 2017, 0 plays 2016)

Wow, I really loved this album. I was so into the Frankie aesthetic. I saw her after her follow-up record came out. It was a good show, but I really did stop caring about her. Too tweet for me right now! God this was on my overall once... lol. Ok, this is definitely a good album. I just *don't care about it* right now. It's not that exciting.

3. Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2 (0 plays 2017, 0 plays 2016)

I really don't care for Run the Jewels at all these days. Never listened to 3. It just sounds gross to me all of a sudden. Big, ugly music.

4. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (2 listens 2017, 4 listens 2016)

While I've always loved Lana, it was after this year that she became my all-time favorite artist. Razz Although I do have the most listens in 2014, which makes sense, its clear that this is some very consistent listening. If I'm being honest, this is probably the Lana album I listen to the least now, even with her pre-Born to Die debut.

5. FKA twigs - LP1 (0 listens 2017, 0 listens 2016)

Don't know why I even checked. I knew this would be zero. My interest in her dropped off so fast -- when "In Time" came out a year after this album, that was definitely cool, but I'd stopped listening to this album by even that time, I'm sure.

6. Taylor Swift - 1989 (0 listens 2017, 0 listens 2016)

To be fair, I've listened to singles from this album in both of these years. But -- this album as a whole? Side 2 -- not so hot. I've also become more interested in Swift's countrier-days, funnily enough. Especially the "Red" album, I quite love.

7. Grouper - Ruins (1 listen 2017, 1 listen 2016)

I don't listen to Grouper as much as I did when she released this album, but her place in my mind has not diminished whatsoever. I know I could go back and love it, which I have done a little, it seems. I even added it to my overall recently, even with my listening to it less than I did once.

8. Ramona Lisa - Arcadia (0 listens 2017, 0 listens 2016)

Jeez, do I listen to any of the same music I did back then?? No interest in going back to this one outside of "Dominic" (a spectacular tune).

---

those are all the ones i did late that night so im gonna call it there. anyways, point is my tastes change a *lot*.

there are three albums that were lower/not on my 2014 list that are on my top 100 overall now:
- right from real - lydia ainsworth
- my everything - ariana grande
- too bright - perfume genius

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2017 17:27
  • Post subject:
oh hey glad you had that tab open, thats a good contribution. if I were you I'd set a reminder for 2024 to listen to that Frankie Cosmos album, those ones that burn bright in the moment but then fade away, I think those work very nicely as time capsules. FKA Twigs is one of those for me, like I still think she's very talented at producing and performing, but it really did lose it's pull for me and I don't think I've listened since 2014.
  • Visit poster's website