Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/18/2017 22:39
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Neither does Nas' Illmatic, although everyone seems to rave about it on BEA.

I'd argue that Illmatic isn't a great place to start if you're approaching hip hop as a rock/pop fan (which I was when I got into the genre). When I first started listening to the genre I was always looking for elements of rock in the songs, assuming that rock influences would be what made the best hip hop great. It was with this mindset that I first heard Illmatic, and honestly I was super bored. Looking back, I realize this was a terrible way to approach the genre because hip hop is it's own thing, and letting go of any preconceived notions of what makes music great will help you enjoy it more. Though this is true with any genre, as Luigii said. Now I realize that Illmatic is a masterpiece, but the greatness in that album is the dense lyricism and rhyming, not the music, which was tough for me to realize back then. I wouldn't blame someone who's just getting into the genre if they didn't care for it.

That Ka song reminded me of Edan's Beauty and the Beat, which has some rock samples in it and might be another good place to start:

Link
[/url]
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 10/19/2017 02:43
  • Post subject:
80s

The Cactus Album by 3rd Bass

Strictly Business by EPMD

Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys

90s

Aquemini by OutKast

Liquid Swords by GZA

Illadelph Halflife by The Roots

00s

Labor Days by Aesop Rock

Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious

The Mouse And The Mask by Dangerdoom
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/22/2017 21:39
  • Post subject:
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. It's gonna take me a while to process. I'll report back and let you know if it worked.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 10/23/2017 16:17
  • Post subject:
Let me add this one:

• Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/29/2017 22:28
  • Post subject:
I started on this little project yesterday.

I listened to:

Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

And

Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest

Both albums from 1993.

Wu-tang was definitely harder hitting and more aggressive, too aggressive for this peace-loving introvert.

A Tribe Called Quest was more palatable, perhaps because of the melodic content of the samples in the accompaniment: familiar because of other music I like, but then again too repetitive to hold interest alone, for me. A lot of variety in the M.C.s but cohesive as an album. I liked the laid back tempos.

I found myself offended by the N word, and funnily A Tribe Called Quest had a whole song explaining the cultural and generational re-appropriation of the word. Still, it rubs me the wrong way. But what does that matter, I'm a white guy on the other side of the world?

Also, a fair bit of misogyny, which is not to say that hip-hop is the only guilty genre. White blues men to Guns'n'Roses are just as guilty.

I realise this is only a surface impression of these albums. Realising that it's just a different culture to mine, I have to look beyond the surface differences to find some sort of common ground of human experience to connect with it.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2017 23:26
  • Post subject:
That's a path you don't want to go down
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 10/30/2017 00:22
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
That's a path you don't want to go down

No, I don't. Just thinking aloud.

This is an album I actually had in 1993, and ditched somewhere along the line, but it's an interesting case in point. It's part of what would've been called acid jazz in 1993. I'm a guitarist, and so can relate to it on that level, but ultimately it's not a great jazz guitar album, and neither is it a great hip-hop album, but sadly it's probably as close to what I can relate to in hip-hop in the year of 1993, at this point. It's worst moments are towards smooth jazz, but it's best moments are where it moves towards more urban influences. In a way, it's probably what Wes Montgomery would've done in the same era, and Ronny Jordan is probably a fan of Wes' A&M records.

The Quiet Revolution by Ronny Jordan
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/30/2017 00:55
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I started on this little project yesterday.

I listened to:

Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan

And

Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest

Both albums from 1993.

Wu-tang was definitely harder hitting and more aggressive, too aggressive for this peace-loving introvert.

A Tribe Called Quest was more palatable, perhaps because of the melodic content of the samples in the accompaniment: familiar because of other music I like, but then again too repetitive to hold interest alone, for me. A lot of variety in the M.C.s but cohesive as an album. I liked the laid back tempos.

I found myself offended by the N word, and funnily A Tribe Called Quest had a whole song explaining the cultural and generational re-appropriation of the word. Still, it rubs me the wrong way. But what does that matter, I'm a white guy on the other side of the world?

Also, a fair bit of misogyny, which is not to say that hip-hop is the only guilty genre. White blues men to Guns'n'Roses are just as guilty.

I realise this is only a surface impression of these albums. Realising that it's just a different culture to mine, I have to look beyond the surface differences to find some sort of common ground of human experience to connect with it.

Firstly, it's great your even interested in trying rap music, my brother and I could never get my Dad interested ever, even though both of us love it.

Secondly, as for that word, just know that it is in a completely different context than being used as a racial slur. In the context of (most) rap songs, it's simply just another term to refer to another person. You're British, I assume, so think of it as the way some (not all I'm sure) people might use the word c*nt to refer to each other in a casual conversation. That word in particular is not quite as offensive in British English as it is in American English. However, I totally understand if it makes you uncomfortable. It's something I grew up with, so I have much more exposure to it.

Since you listened to Wu Tang, I'm wondering what you would think of this mash up album that was made called "Wugazi" using Wu Tang verses with the punk band Fugazi's music.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 10/30/2017 08:16
  • Post subject: Re: Design a path to get a middle-aged white guy into hip-ho
rkm wrote:
I'm 45.
I like R&B... from Sam Cooke, Aretha, Stevie Wonder, Prince...

Hustlers Convention by Lightnin' Rod

Start with this?
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 10/30/2017 15:18
  • Post subject:
I know Common isn't exactly regarded as super cool in the Hip Hop sphere, but it's no secret he's one of my favourite artists, and his album 'Be' was a huge stepping stone to getting me into hip hop, which is now one of my favourite genres.

It's upbeat, optimistic, and it wouldn't even make your nan blush, all while being introspective on the innercity. Kanye's production here is super soulful and melodic, so anyone with a more traditional ear should feel right at home.

My girlfriend got it for me on vinyl just last month and it sounds criiiiiisp for a mid 2000s hip hop record.

Link