Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/17/2017 20:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
oooh gonna have to check out some of these for sure, great thread. get on that Sote everybody, it really is fantastic!

Yeah, it's a really cool release. Everything about it just feels so right, yet forward thinking. Never heard an album like it. It'll probably stick around in my top 20 for the year no matter what else comes along at this point.

My fav album from Iran is still probably Leila's Like Weather, but Sote's release comes pretty close. Going to keep an eye out on Opal Tapes for the next while.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2017 21:12
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

MTK by Ayrtbh

Lack by Pan Daijing

China’s getting a double dose, both 2017 albums, both by artists not currently based in China. Why are they not currently based in China? Cause China’s musical distribution laws are god awful and that’s why you’ve probably never heard an album from China (or perhaps very few). Both of these albums are surprisingly comparable, diving into a new wave of Chinese avant-garde electronic. Pushing sound deformation, mutilating tones, reshaping textures, chiptuning drumkicks, all under a cohesive roof. MTK is more hip-hop loop/MPC stuff, whereas Lack is more freeform, pulling, tearing, tension rising and breaking, cinematic. It’s impressive production, extremely forward thinking and nothing to be ignored. Both are on Bandcamp in full for streaming. I would be quite pleased to see this trend continue in the years to come.

Honestly those records look compelling. Want to try those albums out.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/17/2017 22:10
  • Post subject:

Dub Me Crazy Pt. 1 by Mad Professor

dubdubdubdubdubdub. Can’t go wrong with some Mad Professor. This is the third album I’ve heard by him, and possibly my favourite so far. His work’s always really stood out within the genre. The vocal pitchshift bits are really innovative.

Cagibi by Yves & Serge & Victor

Recently reissued with high praise, I figured I’d give this a listen. An album perhaps fitting of American country in the ’70’s, I fear this perhaps isn’t traditional ‘Madagascar’ music, but I dug it. Acoustic guitars, harmonicas, very folk-rock, primitism influence, some psych, perhaps something along the lines of Dlyan/The Band. Some really great guitarwork and beautiful harmonies. (Tilly, very mellow, would rec). Wasn’t what I was looking for, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2017 22:14
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Cagibi by Yves & Serge & Victor

Recently reissued with high praise, I figured I’d give this a listen. An album perhaps fitting of American country in the ’70’s, I fear this perhaps isn’t traditional ‘Madagascar’ music, but I dug it. Acoustic guitars, harmonicas, very folk-rock, primitism influence, some psych, perhaps something along the lines of Dlyan/The Band. Some really great guitarwork and beautiful harmonies. (Tilly, very mellow, would rec). Wasn’t what I was looking for, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Nice! I LOVE Dylan & The Band. Will totally check it out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/17/2017 22:25
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

Nice! I LOVE Dylan & The Band. Will totally check it out! Very Happy

Hope you like it Smile I hope to revisit it soon as well, there were 3-4 songs that really stood out.

I should note that despite being Madagascar/France, its entirety is in English.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/18/2017 14:39
  • Post subject:

Live At Real World by Royal Drummers Of Burundi

Royal Drummers of Burundi

That sure is alotta sticks being whacked. Could only imagine what it would be like to see this live, probably feels like a small earthquake. Joni Mitchell, Def Leppard and Werner Herzog have all worked with this ensemble, which is pretty cool. All drums used were made from hollowed trees and animal skins, the routine/techniques being passed down for centuries. Don’t think it gets any more authentic than that. Hoping to learn a little bit more about the drums used. Would recommend playing loud, whatever you can do to physically feel the beat.

Odds And Ends by Akio Suzuki

Drone/loops, etc… not my thing, couldn’t stomach too many tracks in their entirety. If you like… screeching, high-pitched tones, vocal blips, throat singing, vinyl crackles, zither?, some laugh tracks, clinks, maybe some bird noises… etc… this might be for you, but yeah (it does have some good reviews… so I’m assuming it’s someone’s cup of tea)

Canta Zitarrosa by Alfredo Zitarrosa

Perhaps not a dark as the cover would suggest, Alfredo Zitarrosa’s ’66 record is still quite serious. Think… Leonard Cohen of Uruguay perhaps. Zitarrosa first and foremost was a poet/writer/journalist, who dabbled into songwriting later on. From what I understand, he moved between Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentine, Spain, Mexico and Uruguay, ending up wherever people would pay him to perform for a while. It’s a decent release, never quite changing up enough, and the instrumentation is straight-forward, but nonetheless enjoyable. Would recommend translating the lyrics (again, think Cohen).

This Is Afrika by Afro Sunshine

Aight, so, this one isn’t brilliant, can’t even say I recommend it, but I never figured everything would be ideal. Released in 1989, on the cusp of a technology shift, some parts of the album certainly feel like video game music (which might appeal to some people). Almost on the funk-disco side of things, it isn’t terribly hip. It’s an okay release, but it’s unquestionable dated and fairly awkward.

Awana W'Afrika by Pierre Akendengué

Perhaps not his most renowned, but I began Akendengue’s discography with Awana W’Afrika. Tropical flavoured French-African with an excellent female choir. Overall quite solid. Looking forward to digging up some of his earlier works.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/18/2017 14:56
  • Post subject:
Also, I made a chart documenting the albums, cause that makes sense.

Around The World In 80 (or so) Days, Pt. 1 by Hayden
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/18/2017 20:02
  • Post subject:

Elyse by Elyse Weinberg

Greasepaint Smile by Elyse Weinberg

True patriot love, amiright? Having spent several years in Canada, I’m fairly certain I can confirm nearly no single Canadian can truly define Canada. What is this place? We have music scenes in Vancouver, Toronto, Quebec, Calgary, and they’re all completely different (not unlike the States). However, at the end of the day, does Canada have a definitive ‘sound’? Typically I find our music on the coattails of others.

Yes, yes, Caribou, Fiery Arcades and Cracked Discussion Gatherings, etc… domakesaythink, japandroids, nomeansno, badbadnotgood, that guy named Hayden who needs to change his name, the likes. However, where Canada truly shines, in my opinion anyway, has always been folk. Joni, Neil, Leonard, Gordon, the less popular in the same basket… cold cabin music. I think that’s the music that defines Canada. Perhaps I wish there was more of it.

Out of all my options to dive into for this massive county I call hope, I’ve chosen someone I’m only somewhat familiar with: Elyse Weinberg

I heard Greasepaint Smile sometime last year after it was reissued and it blew my expectations. Figured I’d give her earlier self-titled release a spin… once I found a (decent) copy. It’s a stellar album, reminiscent of Joni Mitchell and ever (seriously) Patti Smith. Fourteen varied, balanced, poetic, and excellent pop-folk tracks. I’d love for a remaster in the oncoming years, it’s a Canadian gem that shouldn’t be dismissed. Standouts: Band of Thieves, Simpleminded Harlequin

RIP Gord Downie
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/19/2017 14:09
  • Post subject:

Coulibaly Tidiani Et l'authentique Dafr...ulasso ‎

I’ve heard three albums by Coulibaly Tidiani, and I’d say this is my favourite by him. He’s the conductor for the Dafra Orchestra, no more different than a symphony, except this one uses congas, electric guitar, balafon and saxophones. He doesn’t actually play anything on here from what I understand, only composes. A mixture of traditional and 70’s highlife, it’s a really ace record. Think it was recorded in one of Mali’s smaller studios. I’d also rec his self-titled. Nearly everything I’ve heard out of Burkina Faso has been above expectations, definitely a country I want to big more up from.

Djangology by Django Reinhardt

I was lazy, it’s Django. If you haven’t listened to Django, go listen to Django. This is probably his most solid comp, but ‘The Django Reinhardt Anthology’ is more extensive, clocking in at 70 tracks or something, and they’re all amazing.

Als Wäre Nichts Gewesen by Maria Zerfall

Fun fact, there are driveways in Canada that stretch longer than Liechtenstein. That may be a lie, but I wouldn’t doubt it.

Prime darkwave album, nice and creepy. Surprisingly modern for something released nearly 20 years ago.

Beatte Harab by Group Doueh

I didn’t actually think I’d be able to find an album from the Sahara, but here we go. These guys have been around for quite some time apparently, even going on tour with Omar Souleyman (Syria entry) at some point. Completely different genre, but flavoured the same. Lutes, clay drums, ardin, korg synths, all quite cool. Vocals are a bit shoddy here and there, but the instrumentation’s dope. Considering the album was actually records in the Sahara, it sounds quite good.

Java by Sambasunda Quintet

The Indonesian album I listened to specifically for this project (Guruh Gipsy) was a complete miss. Really boring prog. Then I thought of a Dbz fav, H. Badings, but a veered from that as well. Ended up going for a zither/flute/gamalan/vocal group who released a handful of long tracks in 2012. It’s pretty interesting, some prog influences, some middle eastern influence, Indian blips, even some samba, but best digested in small doses. Fun, groovy, technical, wacky, but it could have easily been split into two albums. Most tracks got a little boring after the 4-minute mark. The tracks are just slightly too rhythmic to stretch out that long without really progressing anywhere. Being said, vocalwork is the standout, some really impressive stuff, especially on Kapeje (Mun Pareng Patepung). Also, the album is certainly cooler than the cover.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 04:16
  • Post subject:
Couldn't find a good gamelan album for Indonesia?

I enjoy this one.

Javanese Court Gamelan by Various Artists

Link
  • Visit poster's website