Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/21/2018 16:32
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Hayden wrote:
Aight... getting down to the grindstone here... have 21 countries left on the list, 15 of which I've never heard anything from. Kinda got my queue of what I'll check out, but I'm still having difficulty with these:

Malta
Montenegro
United Arab Emirates

If anyone has any recs, that'd be appreciated.

(this post will later be deleted)

I've got you for Montenegro. It's a mid 70's funk-rock record. Sounds a bit like the soundtracks of Lalo Schifrin.

Link

and here is this from Malta? don't know if the whole album is available.

Link

Oh, aight. Cool. Def appreciate the Montenegro rec, it'll be bookmarked and listened Smile

Malta one seems to be a comp, but it might have to do... I'll see if I can scour it anywhere.

Also, I think I found a contender form the UAE... seems to be based in London, but oh well. It's a new country, can't dig too deep.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/24/2018 18:37
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Link

I KNOW 'DRUG SONG'! Christ, I sampled it at one point in a beat. Can't believe I didn't recognize the artist's name.

Anyway, about half-way finished the album Laughing It's pretty decent stuff, every track has its own flair (and the horn sections are fantastic).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/25/2018 10:04
  • Post subject:

Soul Impressions by Janko Nilovic

(read above ^)

PLAYMISOGI® by MISOGI

Misogi is the producer here, getting a lending hand from some MC's on a couple tracks. It's a really diverse album with some stellar production and unique tricks... might be someone I watch in the future. The MC's don't help him too much, but for the most part it's a solid (somewhat futuristic) trap record.

Megalopolis by Herbert Pagani

From: LIBYA (based.... Italy??? France? Anyway, not Libya)

Libya was tricky... managed to come up with this. I think Herbert Pagani grew up in Libya, so perhaps it isn't too much of a cheat. Anyway, this is basically a musical. It's a 90-minute French/Italian rock-opera of sorts whichs flits between big-band orchestrations to spoken word to ballads and showtunes. Wasn't super up my alley, but every once in a while there's something surprisingly innovative. Herbert was also a visual artist, you can look up his drawings on Google. He died somewhat young in the 80's, not 100% sure if he released any other music, but if he did, this is certainly considered his most important piece.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2018 14:40
  • Post subject:

Bílé Inferno by Iva Bittová & Vl... Václavek

From: Czechia/ Czech Republic (whatever people call it nowadays)

*kafka* *kafka*

Dark folk/freak folk/female vocals/awesome stuff/performance art/bit of good squeak/violins/mbira/guitar/medieval vibes. Fantastic find, heavy rec.

Lándini by Aurelio

Fun stuff, street-music-esque. Some African flavours, and overall tropical yet not sugary. Solid stuff, just gets a little same-y. Cut maybe a track or two, flip some things with a bit more punch and volatility, and this'd be a solid record (just a little shy, but still worth a listen). Title track's quite lovely.

Last edited by Hayden on 02/02/2018 16:31; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2018 15:21
  • Post subject:
Brazil (edição especial)

Brazil - what a treasure box. Just, like, dig in, y'know? Find stuff. It'll probably be good. Brazilian music is a gift. You got this good tasting bit between 1966 and 1978 and then you got this teaser stuff from before that and then afterwards you got the good bits at the bottom of the pan that somehow seem to keep getting better. This is explosive music, the oomph, the vibrancy, the colours, chock full of life and soul. Always down to give something from here a spin, no matter what genre or what era. Bossa Nova, folk, MPB, dance, ambient, jazz, metal - they dabble in it all. Caetano Veloso, Elza Soares, Milton Nascimento, Lô Borges, Novos Baianos, Jorge Ben, Nara Leão, Gal Costa, Nana Caymmi, Baden Powell, Cartola, Tim Maia, Antônio Carlos Jobim, Rita Lee, Tom Ze, Edu Lobo... just keep it coming. Here are some lesser known (well, perhaps on here) that I'll dish out.

Verde Que Te Quero Rosa by Cartola

Look at that cover. What a legend.

Obnoxius by José Mauro

Folk/pop, short, dope, underappreciated.

A Mulher Do Fim Do Mundo by Elza Soares

Aight, so, I think everyone here knows that I think this album is fantastic, but it's FANTASTIC. What an insane release. Elza was (77? 78?) when she made this, and it's just as wild as something a 30-something in their prime would whip up, if not more. This is a master at work. Art.

Cuban Soul - 18 Kilates by Cassiano

Smidge of Cuban flare, production levels rivalling anything released 30 years on. Fun, bombastic, gotta give it a spin.

Canta Triste by Ana Lúcia

Beautiful MPB music. Quaint, plenty of life, a great find while digging.

O Poeta Do Povo by João Do Vale

Early MPB. Bit of a forgotten blueprint. Great record, one of those albums where you forget how much you love it until you give it another spin.

&

Jorge Ben by Jorge Ben

Had to throw in some Jorge, y'know? Just had to. This is a banger through and through.

And that's it. Listen to music from Brazil. It'll be good for you. Don't take drugs.
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 02/02/2018 15:30
  • Post subject:
That's where I live, patriotic vibes on my spine! great choices, funny to think that the most critically aclaimed elza release is one of her latest records, when she was clearly past her prime (but has not lost all that magic and elegance she had). Need to listen to that jose mauro record yet, thanks for the reminder also haha

Also your tumblr is hella cool hayden, very a e s t h e t i c Very Happy
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/02/2018 15:55
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
That's where I live, patriotic vibes on my spine! great choices, funny to think that the most critically aclaimed elza release is one of her latest records, when she was clearly past her prime (but has not lost all that magic and elegance she had). Need to listen to that jose mauro record yet, thanks for the reminder also haha

Also your tumblr is hella cool hayden, very a e s t h e t i c Very Happy

Yeah, I would've thrown in another 10 recs if it weren't for spamming my own thread Laughing Glad you like the picks, was trying to shell out some classic names in the blerb as well so I wouldn't feel bad not including them. Some of these artists have ridiculously solid discographies considering their size... 2-3 stellar albums a year sort of stuff. Always plenty to go through. I need to update my South America chart... hoping to sometime this month.

I haven't listened to anything Elza's released between 1967-2015, which is... well... huge... but her early (more standard) stuff is quite good. Think I've only given a few of her 60's records one or two spins... never completely fell in love with them, but still solid albums.

But yeah, I think after UK/USA/Canada, Brazil is the next powerhouse of music (yes, more so than Germany, Australia, Japan, France or Sweden). I just don't think people dive into it enough as they should. Is there a chance you'll end up hearing 15 different versions of Mais Que Nada? ... Yes... but still, always worth it. Plus, the 2010's have been pretty cool for Brazil too (Meta Meta, Jucara Marcal, Bixiga 70, Passo Torto, Elza, that new wave hip-hop scene), hoping things only go up from here. Would love to go record shopping there one day (think Madlib's pointed out that it's his favourite country to go digging).

And I'm glad you like my Tumblr Laughing Been running it a few years now... it's really the only social media I use. It was actually a somewhat popular blog at one point, but I fear the site in general is losing a bit of steam. Like to think it helps me appreciate art a little more... think it's the only social media where I feel like I've learned something using it. Also the only platform I have to share my photos/music/writing Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/06/2018 10:54
  • Post subject:

Mario Batkovic by Mario Batkovic

2017 release, dope stuff. Colin Stetson-esque, but with an accordion. Focusing on multiple layers, the textural clicks, yet constantly reminding us he’s human. It’s a pretty awesome find (and a debut? I think). The guy’s worked with BEAK>, Boris, Anika, College and was featured on the Drive soundtrack according to his bio.

Freedom's Journal by Ossie Dellimore

Reggae, not bad stuff for 2000, and def better than the album cover. Keeps it conservative, but with some unique almost (almost) hip-hop elements. There’s some duds in the mix, but it’s still possibly one of the best post 90’s reggae albums I’ve heard.

Black Love by Carlos Garnett

Jazz-funk bongo soul cookin. Blow that sax.

Gobi by Egschiglen

*GOOONG*
Long-ass zen-like string-heavy throat-singing folk prog. Think… Mongolia. Edging China yet so far away. Most of the album consists of string arrangements, but this 1000-year old voice flits in and out on some tracks. The melodies are so simple at times that it’s borderline comedic considering the dramatic instrumentation, but it all works. Bit tedious as an album, but fantastic in small doses. The entire album is streaming on Youtube if you want to give it a shot.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/09/2018 17:47
  • Post subject:

Euson by Euson

Pop/rock/folk/horns/flute/American-ish, etc… It’s a tame album, but not bad. Something along the lines of Cat Stevens with a pinch of R&B. Standout: Little Green Apples

Por Eso Luchamos... Songs Of The Salvad...ay Camones

Political marimba maraca bongo jams. Music focusing on ‘recovering Salvadorean cultural roots’ (and it’s pretty good). Something I'll definitely return to.

Spectacular Accordions by Charles Camilleri

As a rule of thumb, nothing with a cover like that can possibly be bad, and true to form, this is a really interesting album. Stellar arrangements and pacing, not a track going to waste. Ragtime-ish with a hint of Mediterranean jazz and even some experimental stuff. Glad I gave it a spin. You should too, it's on Spotify (each track is only 2-ish minutes). And yes, it goes from Bolero to La Cucaracha.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/10/2018 16:52
  • Post subject:

Vind by Liv Mari Schei

THAT’S RIGHT FOLKS, now we’re getting into the obscure countries nobody’s heard of. Well. It’s kinda a country. It’s pretty much Norway. It’s two islands waaaaaay up there a few finger-widths north of Iceland. It’s also where that giant seed bank is. This woman lives there. She is cold.

Pasaporte Mundial by Las Hijas Del Sol

Aunt/Niece duo that flips from Bube to Spanish - bit of a whirl. Regardless, this is a blast of an album, energetic stuff, heavy brass, pumping beats, great production, some latin influence, a dash of jazz… !Ay Corazon! was understandably smash hit, it’s colossal.

Live 'N Wild by The Savages

Psych-island Beatles. Live album. Mixing’s pretty shody, but it’s a super fun album from the mid-60's.

Shadow Theater by Tigran Hamasyan

Jazzy pop. The guy has a couple albums, landing on this one. No regrets, it’s a solid piece of work with some intriguing and unique production. The instrumental/scat tracks are beautiful.
  • Visit poster's website