Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/11/2018 15:53
  • Post subject:

Bombs 1 by Nok From The Future

Hip-hop EP from 2016, not bad, def some potential. Fresh, unique, just needs a bit of grooming and a couple tweaks with delivery and vocal production… and maybe lyrics… there’s also this strange pop-punk Blink-182-esque influence in the delivery that I didn’t really dig, but once it’s gone it’s fine.

The City by 四千九十七

Drone/ambient/pointless? Listened to about two minutes out of 55… it’s the same tone for the entire thing. This was a flop, and usually I'd pick something else from the country, but it's all I could find… ah well, ticks it off the checklist. Nauru only has a population of about 13,000.

Kenza by Khaled

Tropic Of Cancel by OOHS!

Pleasant, relaxing psych-rock/pop. Chill stuff, summery, light, overall quite good. Think Tame Impala/Animal Collective but on a beach. It's not a very long album, clocking in at around 30-min, streaming on Bandcamp. I'd give it a rec.

Maqamat Zíryáb: Desde El Eúfrates Al...eer Shamma

Oud (les of fun!). When diving into Iraq, I figured nobody else would fit the bill other than Naseer Shamma... just took me forever to find an album by him. He's their Django, their Shankar, their Ali Farka Toure, along those lines. Oud, solo (think Hamza El Din, who was quite close to being my Egypt entry, and someone I rec).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/13/2018 07:44
  • Post subject:

Na Cambança by Super Mama Djombo

Xmetov by Bez Ladu A Skladu

Slavic post-punk, excellent stuff. Brilliant basslines, harsh saxophone accents, funky grooves, gets you pumped up, driving music, dance music, etc… Some great versatility and musicianship between tracks. Wish I knew what they were saying though. If this were released by a British group around the same time, it’d be a classic. Sooooommmewhat similar to Wire.

Black by Nino Katamadze & Insight

Jazz-ish… well, it’s labeled as jazz, but it’s mostly on the rock side of things. Despite some great musicianship, I couldn’t quite get into it. Bit scattered, bit uninspired, not really sure what didn’t click. Might be for someone out there though. She has a handful of albums named after colours.

Learning From Falling by Lamya

A 2002 release, it's a few years ahead of its time. Sounds like the stuff some people are trying to make nowadays (think Solange/SZA/Nao), especially Black Mona Lisa. Fresh R&B with heavy rock/pop elements and a smidge of trip-hop and middle eastern influence. Closes out with a decent cover of Nick Drakes Pink Moon. This was Lamya's only album before dying, but apparently something she was working on might be released in the future.

Die Æsthetik Der Herrschaftsfreiheit by Rome

(Herrschaftsfreiheit = freedom from domination). Despite their name, this is a band from Luxembourg. Snug on the edge within RYM’s top 100 of the 2010’s, it’s a massive album, 3 discs (each about 50 minutes) and I’ve had to give each a listen over the course of a few weeks. It ranges in genre (heavy rock/industrial/ambient/poetry/folk/post-punk), Swans-esque in a sense, but German (and perhaps not as well-rounded). It’s truly a huge pile of mishmushed everything, stretching (3?) languages and probably 5 genres. Epic folk tracks were definitely my favourite of the album, and I’d gladly cut the record down to strictly those and enjoy that as an album quite a bit. Glad I gave it a listen, but I highly doubt I’ll revisit the album in its entirety ever again.

Last edited by Hayden on 06/22/2020 15:28; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/13/2018 08:00
  • Post subject:
*takes in deep breath*

and that's a wrap Very Happy

200 countries, listened. Some were a struggle, some were a breeze. Picked up some new favs and landed on a handful of duds, but it's all good. That's what this was about. There's a few country that were scrapped (mainly tiny islands, or countries with absolutely no discernible music output), but I'm extremely happy with the amount I was able to cover. My original goal had a list of 190, so it's above expectations. I'm happy with what I've learned, a bit of old, a bit of new, and always hope to continue exploring what innovative music is out there. I was only half-confident that I'd be able to finish this project, but I'm glad it turned out for the best. Thanks to all of those who shelled out recs, they were always appreciated. Three charts listing all the albums in this project are available in the original post.

I might keep this thread open and occasionally post new or interesting finds from around the world, surely my new focus will be 2018, so hopefully that'll give people a few recs. Hoping people enjoyed the project, it's been a blast. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/22/2020 15:32
  • Post subject:
I'll be undertaking this challenge again Smile

I've thought about doing another round for a while now, and figure now might as well be the time. Looking forward to it. There'll be a bit of old and a bit of new, but every country will be revisited at some point for something or other.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 06/24/2020 03:29
  • Post subject:
I remember this thread - pretty awesome one and a welcome return.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/24/2020 16:34
  • Post subject:
I had an idea to do a similar thing a few months ago, but forgot about it in the meantime. Thought I was very original Laughing Anyways I'd love to rec some regional stuff, if you haven't already picked albums from Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Slovenia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, etc. And maybe some others too. This thread should be a lot of fun.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/24/2020 16:50
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I remember this thread - pretty awesome one and a welcome return.

LedZep wrote:
I had an idea to do a similar thing a few months ago, but forgot about it in the meantime. Thought I was very original Laughing Anyways I'd love to rec some regional stuff, if you haven't already picked albums from Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Slovenia, Kosovo, North Macedonia, etc. And maybe some others too. This thread should be a lot of fun.

Always looking for recs Smile My knowledge of music from Kosovo and North Macedonia is pretty useless... wouldn't say no to hearing some more stuff from there.

Should have the first log up some point today. It's an undertaking, but like you guys said, should be fun. Smile
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/24/2020 17:19
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
My knowledge of music from Kosovo and North Macedonia is pretty useless... wouldn't say no to hearing some more stuff from there.
I'm not an expert or anything, but I do know a few albums from those countries. I'll chime in when it's their turn.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
StefanR10
Music Genius

Germany

• Posted: 06/24/2020 17:43
  • Post subject:
For Germany i would recommend Kraftwerk - Radioaktivität
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/24/2020 18:00
  • Post subject:
StefanR10 wrote:
For Germany i would recommend Kraftwerk - Radioaktivität

Perhaps I'll give a Kraftwerk album that I've never heard a spin for Germany Smile (I've yet to listen to Ralf Und Florian).
  • Visit poster's website