Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 04:39
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Couldn't find a good gamelan album for Indonesia?

I enjoy this one.

Javanese Court Gamelan by Various Artists

Link

I'll make my next goal to listen to all the albums from Indonesia called 'Java'.

To be fair, the Sambasunda record is slightly better than I described it. In 2-3 tracks doses, it's pretty strong. If that YT clip is the entire album, I'll probably be able to get around to giving your rec a listen sometime tomorrow. After a skim, it sounds dead on like the sorta stuff I'm looking for.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 08:37
  • Post subject:
oh dude if you're looking for great music from Indonesia, it's happening right now. Senyawa are touring and releasing albums and they are fucking incredible. Seriously if there is a show of theirs happening anywhere near you, drop everything and go. the one dude does these crazy vocal acrobatics that sort of remind me of Mike Patton in that they display a lot of natural talent but I think this guy uses it better honestly, although it gets into a sort of theatrical vibe at times, but I should note that's normally a thing that bothers me but I am super on board here. And then other dude has this crazy instrument, you can find out a little bit more here http://theinstrumentbuildersproject.com/wukir-suryadi/ but basically all you need to know is it sounds amazing. I saw them live and it was absolutely one of the best shows I've seen.

Check this album out it rules

Menjadi by Senyawa
https://senyawa.bandcamp.com/album/menjadi
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 13:08
  • Post subject:
This is great, Hayden! Wish Mecca was still around to chime in. Psyched you're going to make a chart from all this. Will be a great resource. Continue to let me know of the mellow ones. lol. You, too, Tap. Peace, guys!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 15:15
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
oh dude if you're looking for great music from Indonesia, it's happening right now. Senyawa are touring and releasing albums and they are fucking incredible. Seriously if there is a show of theirs happening anywhere near you, drop everything and go. the one dude does these crazy vocal acrobatics that sort of remind me of Mike Patton in that they display a lot of natural talent but I think this guy uses it better honestly, although it gets into a sort of theatrical vibe at times, but I should note that's normally a thing that bothers me but I am super on board here. And then other dude has this crazy instrument, you can find out a little bit more here http://theinstrumentbuildersproject.com/wukir-suryadi/ but basically all you need to know is it sounds amazing. I saw them live and it was absolutely one of the best shows I've seen.

Menjadi by Senyawa

Cool cool cool, will give that a listen. Digging the cover. It's nice to get a bit of the old and a bit of the new. Bandcamp has definitely come in handy while looking for less 'popular' countries. Appreciating the recs guys Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 15:22
  • Post subject:

An Adoration In Prayer And Ritual by An... The Heads

Where is Kiribati? Well, it’s kinda on the map, somewhere, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, pretty close to where the edge of most maps are. It’s a whole bunch of tiny islands which spread about as far as Australia’s width. Sometimes the islands are even split up so they’re on both sides of a printed map. Like, Fiji/Tonga/Samoa/Cook Islands/Vanuatu sorta area. Here’s a recent album out of there from a place called Banana, self-described as ‘experimental exotica’, which sounds about right, but it does edge jazz-proggy at times. Think tape music, but with some tribal flare.

Leb I Sol by Leb I Sol

Dem basslines.

Himalaya Roots: Traditional Music Of Ne...pali Party

You know, Nepal, that country with the flag shaped like two slices of pizza, squeezed between China and India. I figured the album I’d listen to from Nepal would be traditional, I haven’t a clue whether there’s a current ‘scene’ going on there right now. Traditional drumming, chants, rhythms, some flute, all quite fluid and powerful. Considerably different from African drumming or that of the Chinese though, perhaps more peaceful, everything having its own flavour.

Les Jaloux Saboteurs by Maitre Gazonga

First listen, Youtube stream. Apparently Maitre Gazonga is by far and none the most popular Chadian (Chadian?) artist of all time. Figured I’d give his most popular album a listen. Essentially dance music, French vocals, some fun horn riffs, saxophone solos, party music. A feel good record, no complaints. According to Wikipedia, he’d let people pay for his concerts with rice, dried fish and chickens, which is nice of him. I wish Radiohead would do that.

I’ve also come to realize Romania, Chad, Andorra and Moldova needed to be far more original when coming up with their flags.

La Sombra by Chip Wickham

Upscale restaurant jazz from a young newcomer. Not sure how big music is in Qatar/UAE/Bahrain, I've had difficulty finding much from there (if anyone has any recs from UAE or Bahrain, I'd appreciate it... I'm currently coming up blank). Being said, this was a pleasant surprise.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 15:37
  • Post subject:
While... umm... riling up recs, if anyone has anything from these countries, I'd appreciate it:

Brunei, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Jordan, Libya, Malta, Moldova, Oman, Palestine, Singapore, South Sudan, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Tuvualu & UAE.

Also, I've cut Vatican City off my list, but if any pope's have an album (apart from the current one, who I know does, but that's technically Argentina), I'd be up for it Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/20/2017 17:09
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
While... umm... riling up recs, if anyone has anything from these countries, I'd appreciate it:

Brunei, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Jordan, Libya, Malta, Moldova, Oman, Palestine, Singapore, South Sudan, Sudan, Sri Lanka, Turkmenistan, Tuvualu & UAE.

This is well worth a listen, especially the wonderfully titled "Please Avenge My Blood, Darling".

Nice to see the Dur Dur Band mentioned - I remember picking that album up on a whim whilst working in Devon, dropping one of their tracks in Plug and loveless immediately shoving the LP in his Overall 100. And that Ekambi Brillant LP is about all of his stuff you'll ever need (the albums are really patchy).
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/20/2017 17:24
  • Post subject:
For Vatican City, there is The Sistine Chapel Choir. I don't know if you can find a whole album of their work, but I have heard several of their performances.

They even have a VEVO?

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 18:47
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

This is well worth a listen, especially the wonderfully titled "Please Avenge My Blood, Darling".

And that Ekambi Brillant LP is about all of his stuff you'll ever need (the albums are really patchy).

Perfect Jimmy, appreciate it Smile Will queue it up.

And yeah, I gave Africa Oumba a listen and the tracks I hadn't heard were... well... not bad, but not as good. Best tracks were easily the ones already on the comp. Still have his self-titled on my listen list, but it's not a priority.

And @TheChiefRocka, if I can find an album by them, that'll probably be it. And there's definitely a comedic factor to the VEVO Laughing I'm heading back to Rome in January... still haven't seen the Sistine Chapel (not religious, just care for the art), hoping I'll be able to do that.

EDIT: The Choir released an album in 2015 Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/20/2017 23:30
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
oh dude if you're looking for great music from Indonesia, it's happening right now.

Menjadi by Senyawa

I added this to the chart, really phenomenal stuff. I can totally understand how it'd be amazing live... might try to find that video you mentioned. Also, I got my Turkey rec from your charts, and really dug it. Going to give it another listen sometime later. Should be posting that tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website