Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 10/21/2017 01:28
  • Post subject:
Do you know this site? I think it's mostly older music, but you might be able to find something interesting I dunno.

http://www.greatestmusician.com/
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/21/2017 02:04
  • Post subject:
gussteivi wrote:
Do you know this site? I think it's mostly older music, but you might be able to find something interesting I dunno.

http://www.greatestmusician.com/

Nope, will check it out. Doesn't look like it'll help me with Jordan, Guatemala or the UAE, but it gives some recs for some others Smile 7 acts from Tuva took me by surprise.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/21/2017 15:16
  • Post subject:

Manuscript by Manizha

Labelled as the first ‘Instagram released album’, I should have known better. It’s…. country? Country-pop? Ambient-pop? Pop? Dance? I wasn’t expecting that at all. I truly thought it’d be more on the minimal-techno side of things. Some tracks are awful, Miley Cyrus-esque, but there are a handful more on the soul side of things that are aight. If the album was more consistent with ‘Alone’, I think it’d be better. Just an odd surprise overall. Final three tracks are in Russian, one of which (Иногда) is possibly the best on the album, the other two not far behind. Mixed. It’s just a really hard album to pinpoint.

Kidayu by Vaudou Game

Hadn’t noticed this was only a 2016 release, especially considering it sounds a little dated. Iffy highlife, bordering cheesy. Can’t say it’ll be a favourite.

(Supervoids) by NǽnøĉÿbbŒrğ Vbë...käävsŦ

I didn’t even fathom Antarctica when starting this, considering only scientists live there, but it turns out two of them made an album. Dark ambient, pretty much sounds like how I imagine the arctic… cold, dark, treacherous, windy, empty, the second half being a bit heavier. And yes, that is the band's name. Only reason I wouldn’t rec is because it’s overly long (nearly 2 hours)… perhaps best to have on in the background while reading, it’s more atmospheric than gripping.

Let's Have A Party by Geraldo Pino &...Heartbeats

A revisit to an old favourite. Fun as it looks.

Davul by Cevdet Erek

Picked this one off of Tap’s chart. Street-musician-esque, one guy playing a couple different parts at the same time on one drum. Almost Colin Stetson-y in composition. Dope stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 10/21/2017 21:46
  • Post subject:
Do you have the link to the Antarctic one. Want to hear that one.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/21/2017 22:10
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
Do you have the link to the Antarctic one. Want to hear that one.

Yup, just give me one sec.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/22/2017 14:15
  • Post subject:

Anomie by Violet Cold

2017 release, one-man band. Almost the same shoegaze/black metal mix as Deafheaven, but with middle-eastern drums and light interludes within the tracks. Pretty good stuff, would rec to people who even aren’t big on metal. Give Lovegaze a listen at least, it’s a standout. Probably my favourite metal album of the year so far (out of… 4? I think I’ve heard, but whatever)

The Voice Of Trees by Lubomyr Melnyk

I’d only been aware of Melnyk’s new work until recently, so I figured I’d dig a little further. Brilliant album, as always. If you haven't checked him out, definitely do. Classical piano gone haywire.

Haitian Dances by Frantz Casseus

Is it fair that my album from Haiti is one I’ve been familiar with for years? Course it is, I don’t have any rules. Frantz Casseus’s 1954 10” Haitian Dances comes in at under 23 minutes, but that’s about all it needs. Traditional Haitian folk, pleasant for any casual listening occasion. I’ve never quite grown tired of it.

Unreleased Tapes 1981-1984 by Mamman Sani

Kraftwerk who?

Warato'o by Narasirato

A mishmush of tropical flare, tribal drums, pan flutes, and some pretty awesome trance undertones. Every tracks is quite rhythmic and progressively structured, almost pop-like. The arrangements are really unique too, everything seems to go the extra mile. The bio for this album says 87 languages are spoken within the islands… not sure what ones are used here. I’ll give it a heavy rec, preferably played loud. Should note that I streamed it on Soundcloud, and it seems like they’ve forgotten to upload track 3.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/22/2017 14:20
  • Post subject:

Chiemi Eri by Chiemi Eri

A Bell Ringing In The Empty Sky by Gorō Yamaguchi

Went more traditional with Japan.

The Chiemi Eri comp I stumbled upon after Jimmy’s Cambodia rec, these are some really cool songs from actress/singer/child prodegy Eri Chiemi. Sly, slick, sultry, James-bond-esque, the horn section is killer. All the songs were recorded between ’58-’62, and they’ve been remastered beautifully. There’s an odd cha-cha near the end, but it works. I feel like it’s something David Byrne would dig. Wouldn’t be surprised to hear some of her tracks sampled in hip-hop in oncoming years.

The other album is a beautiful solo bamboo flute album by Goro Yamaguchi, 2 lengthy tracks. Not much more to be said.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2017 14:49
  • Post subject:
Iceland (Special Edition)

Slip on your lopapeysas, grab your toothpick-stabbed hakarl, buy enough books to brick a house, and get ready to drop the needle on some vinyl. Or, the more likely, illegally download these from wherever you are and hit play while you stare at your laptop screen, perhaps a bag of chips at your side, but either’s good.

I’m lead to believe there’s more talented people per capita in Iceland than anywhere else in the world. The amount of incredible music that’s come out of this island is ridiculous and somewhat demeaning. Yes, Bjork, Mum, Sigor Ros, the usual suspects, all fantastic, but there’s certainly more. A mixture of new and old that I dug up in an Icelandic spree last month.

Öbarna by Öbarna

1976 release, Icelandic folk songs. Recording's a little rough around the edges, but it adds to the charm.

Miranda by Tappi Tíkarrass

1983 release, the roots of Icelandic pop, with some help from a very young Bjork, as Bjorky as always

Ró by Mógil

Magical folky stuff.

Við Og Við by Ólöf Arnalds

Beautiful pop. Pristine release, wouldn’t be surprised if this hit my overall chart one day. Think early Stina Nordenstam mixed with Teen Dream-era Beach House. (And no, this is not my next entry's nickname, it's actually a different person, much to my surprise... but they are cousins)

+ and old favourite

Eulogy for Evolution by Ólafur Arnalds

Ambient/classical/minimal glitch, from a 20-year-old Arnalds, easily my favourite by him. Relaxing, hypnotic, crystallized.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2017 15:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

China’s getting a double dose, both 2017 albums, both by artists not currently based in China. Why are they not currently based in China? Cause China’s musical distribution laws are god awful and that’s why you’ve probably never heard an album from China (or perhaps very few). Both of these albums are surprisingly comparable, diving into a new wave of Chinese avant-garde electronic. Pushing sound deformation, mutilating tones, reshaping textures, chiptuning drumkicks, all under a cohesive roof. MTK is more hip-hop loop/MPC stuff, whereas Lack is more freeform, pulling, tearing, tension rising and breaking, cinematic. It’s impressive production, extremely forward thinking and nothing to be ignored. Both are on Bandcamp in full for streaming. I would be quite pleased to see this trend continue in the years to come.

i will check these out because they both sound awesome, but i am a bit confused about your comments. i have heard many albums from China. i'd guess that 30% of the albums i've looked for are on Spotify. i think more often, the interesting stuff (or at least anything that goes punk or makes a political statement) gets branded as contraband and can be easier to find outside China than inside the country.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/23/2017 19:03
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

i will check these out because they both sound awesome, but i am a bit confused about your comments. i have heard many albums from China. i'd guess that 30% of the albums i've looked for are on Spotify. i think more often, the interesting stuff (or at least anything that goes punk or makes a political statement) gets branded as contraband and can be easier to find outside China than inside the country.

Hope you like them Smile I think they'll both be at least somewhat up your alley.

I'd assume you're right with the more 'punk' stuff being easier to access outside the country. I wouldn't be surprised if neither of those albums are available within China. For a country of that size, and musical interest among citizens, I've just always found it odd how China can't seem to branch out internationally as much as Japan or South Korea. Posing the 'why not' question in the situation has always intrigued me, but the main conversations I've had with people from China usually result in something along the lines of 'they're just really far behind', yet whenever I hear something out of there, it feels so far ahead. Perhaps it's just an untapped talent market. I know there's a few laws within c-pop about 'individual expression', 'liberalism' and whatnot, so I assume (like you said) most of the interesting stuff is released outside of the country. It's something I wouldn't mind becoming more informed with... I could easily see a boom in underground music coming out of China within the next decade.

As far as what it's like listening to local music while living in China, I have an idea what it's like, but I'd like to learn more, like what's being played on the radio (which is mostly monitored via Internet I think?) and underground (perhaps illegal) scenes. It's just a curious place.
  • Visit poster's website