Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/24/2017 14:29
  • Post subject:

Music Of The Ituri Forest by Various Artists

Another revisit, fairly explanatory. Thanks Dbz. (will also note that we have 3 different versions of this album on BEA... not sure why)

Lajko Felix Es Zenekara by Lajkó Félix

From: SERBIA (Yugoslavia technically… and perhaps Hungary again)

Dope album that I almost passed on. Really skilled musicianship throughout the entire project. Experimental violin compositions, ranging from somber to goofy, but all excellent and full of life.

The Young Gods by The Young Gods

Swiss punk. Perhaps a miss, wasn’t too big on it. Little to hectic for my punk tastes. Apparently Switzerland had quite the underground punk scene in the 80’s, figured it was worth digging up.

Raga Todi - Raga Malkauns by Omkarnath Thakur

Well, you already know Ravi Shankar, so here’s Omkarnath Thakur. They’re, umm…, similar, but I’d say nearly equal. He’s even got his own stamp.

Also, I’m throwing this in, cause some tracks are worth giving a spin.

Rajasthan Street Music by Various Artists
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/24/2017 16:22
  • Post subject:
I know this isn't actually Indian, but I still think this showcases some of the fun sounds of Indian (especially film) music.

Link

And man, this guy from the Congo knows how to Rhumba.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/24/2017 22:57
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I know this isn't actually Indian, but I still think this showcases some of the fun sounds of Indian (especially film) music.

Not sure if that video you posted works... found this link though:

Link

And yeah, Madlib always knows what he's doing. Hoping he's cooking something up at the moment...

I think this is the track sampled in it. Which is from a movie... I think... lemme get my facts straight, one sec.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/25/2017 14:27
  • Post subject:

Lamentations by Ngaiire

Pop/soul, almost like a toned-down Janelle Monae, but with less distinction. Some chill production, and overall a decent release, but unfortunately most of the tracks feel unfocused and never really go anywhere. Everything seems to lack a certain passion... not sure if I'd rec.

Targ by Bargou 08

Waiters On The Dance by Julian Jay Savarin

Sci-fi prog, kinda like is Douglas Adams could play guitar, but with female vocals. This one’s a bit of a cheat, but it’s a cool concept album based on a book the guy wrote around the same time (which… I recently did/am working on… figured I’d give it a go). It's actually much better than I thought it'd be.

Blue Camel by Rabih Abou-Khalil

Unquestionably essential ‘cool’ camel-riding music. Like, a camel with sunglasses and a blunt. Don’t own a camel? Don’t worry, give it a shot anyway (the record, not riding a camel). The album as a whole is probably 20 minutes too long, but give it a spin. Arab jazz.

Orchestre National De Mauritanie by L'O...Mauritanie

I think this is a comp, but a short one. If it weren't for a longer jam at the end, it'd only be around 25 minutes. I think most of the recordings were made in the early 70's, and they aren't terribly clean... unfortunately a few points come up where the vocals really screech. Sounds like something that'd come out of Mali a decade later. They disbanded "shortly before the military coup [in Mauritania] which would spell not only the end of the Orchestra, but the end of a democracy". A couple 7"'s survived.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/26/2017 14:36
  • Post subject:

Volite Se Ljudožderi by Toma Bebic

Croatian poetry, as if done by a demonic Scott Walker. A relisten. Super haunting, heavy rec for Halloween.

Le' Ywei Sin Tei Mya by ၼၢင်း...ang Naang]

The instrumentation on this is super chill, and there’s a certain warmth to the cheapness of it all, but I kept feeling like the vocals were getting in the way (recorded badly, a bit piercing). Truly, if this was instrumental only (and maybe…22-23 minutes shorter), it’d be a solid record. Torn, but mostly positive.

Baazaar by Jerzy Milian Trio

I’ve found some albums from Poland that I really dig, and some that I absolutely hate. It’s really a hit or miss country for me. Love Demarczyk, Jacaszek, Komeda, Niechec, Ksiezyc, Merkabah… a few more… So, on Jerzy Milian Trio’s Baazaar, I somewhat expected the same quality as most Polish jazz from the ’60’s. Can’t say it disappointed, but it’s certainly tamer than I would have figured. A fairly straightforward vibraphone jazz record. Good, fresh, worth a listen.

Desdes by Awalom Gebremariam

Iiiiiiiittttttt was pretty annoying. Can’t rec. Was having a hard time picking something from here Eritrea... took a gamble.

Evening River by Kim Doo Soo

A long overdo revisit, Evening River is a subtle, cold, poetic album from South Korea. Slippery, never entering your ears for long, but beautiful.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/27/2017 13:54
  • Post subject:
ARGENTINA DAY (cause I'm a little busy to do write-ups today...)

Un Dia by Juana Molina

Son by Juana Molina

Julio y Agosto by Julio y Agosto

Crawl Space by Tei Shi

Interpreta A Atahualpa Yupanqui by Mercedes Sosa

Give those a listen, they're all fantastic.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/30/2017 20:20
  • Post subject:
Will be on temp break... probably back in a week.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/05/2017 21:12
  • Post subject:

Ehdottelee by Tomutonttu

beep boop sclap sploop woosh woosh drone jangle jangle boop bap clappity boom ding. Give it a spin if you like textures.

Up In Arms by Juan De La Cruz Band

Progg-ish rock, Engish. 6 tracks, a Zappa cover, a Leon Russell cover, nothing ever overstaying its welcome.

I Will Not Stop Singing by Zomba Prison Project

Pretty interesting experiment created by a group of (not entirely musicians) prisoners in Malawi's maximum security prison. Dope stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/07/2017 19:55
  • Post subject:

Thai Elephant Orchestra by Thai Elephant Orchestra

(Self-explanatory, Thai elephants playing marimba, surprisingly stomachable)

Kora Melodies From The Republic Of The ... Bai Konte

Borderline-jazz highlife played on a kora, excellent album, about as good as you could hope for. Despite the album's length, it doesn't overstay its welcome. A solid rec.

Irfan by Irfan

Gotta admit, I picked this up sometime last year in hope of sampling a single track off of it (which I did), but mostly skimmed through the rest. Sat down and gave it a proper relisten. It's a decent record, middle-eastern leaning, slick, well produced, full of flavour, but just lacks a little diversity.

You Lovely Bastard (還是要相信愛... [Waa Wei]

Suuuuper dope stuff from a female DJ/singer/actress in Taiwan. Leaning on the rock side of things most of the time, it's super clean, modern, yet somewhat gritty. Bit tricky to find, but I could share my copy in a sec.

Sheikh To The F.U.T.U.R.E. by Mahmoud Awad

Another revisit. Whack/psych/something with middle eastern vibes. Like listening to drugs. Honestly, I wouldn't even think anyone in Saudi Arabia would consider making music like this. Not for everybody, but I’ll rec it... just perhaps dive into it in small doses.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/08/2017 15:43
  • Post subject:

El Derecho De Vivir En Paz by Víctor Jara

Unofficial entry, just giving more Victor Jara a listen. Fantastic record.

Diving more into his life, murder and legacy... definitely a heartbreaking story. Hadn't a clue so many artists (U2, The Clash, Springsteen, Bert Jansch, Simple Minds) had written songs about him or covered his music. Don't know how I hadn't heard about him before this year.

Some background on him: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/...-backpages
  • Visit poster's website