Around The World In 80 Or So Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2017 19:39
  • Post subject:
You're a machine, Hayden! It will take the rest of my life to go through this thread of yours. lol.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/29/2017 20:30
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
You're a machine, Hayden! It will take the rest of my life to go through this thread of yours. lol.

Laughing

To be fair, I stocked up about 20 blerbs before I started the thread. I've had to take a small break as of late... definitely have a few things queued though.

Will note, that as of that last post, I'm about halfway through the project. Still having difficulty finding albums from UAE, Sri Lanka and Sudan...
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/30/2017 08:44
  • Post subject:

How Sad, How Lovely by Connie Converse

Music’s Sylvia Plath, Connie Converse was the Bob Dylan that never was. Clocking it at being missing for over 43 years, Connie would be 93 if she’s still alive. This comp (which truly plays out as an album), her 38-ish minute long body of (sometimes unfinished) material recorded during the 50’s, released in 2009, is phenomenal folk music at least a decade ahead of its time. This isn’t happy music by any means, rather it’s crisp and to the point, but always with a whiff of whimsy. I feel like she’s as American as it gets. To boot, the title track is beautiful. Hoping to pick it up on vinyl at some point.

African Gnaoua Blues by Majid Bekkas

What is ‘gnaoua blues’ you ask? Well, I believe Majid Bekkas made it up, for I can’t find anything about it. I wish it would’ve caught on though, cause this is some pretty dope stuff. Think blues guitar work done on a guembri (well, don’t think that, give it a listen and hear it, cause that’s what it is).

The Ghetto by Paul Ngozi

Zambian psych.

Asseer Zulf by Zaman Shawqi

*somebody somewhere picks up a dusty Afghani cassette tape from an unknown era and unknown pretty much everything else, posts in online, and at some point I find myself listening to it and it’s pretty insufferably repetitive (yet luckily I didn’t expect anything better)*

Didn’t actually finish it… only gave about 5 minutes of each track a chance (could make for some cool samples though, dunno, and it’s def super traditional).

Melodrama by Lorde

Now, I don’t know what it is with New Zealand, for I’ve never found myself overly infatuated with the music from there. I keep giving indie bands a shot (The Chills, The Bats, Chambres, Tall Dwarfs, Break Co-Op, The Clean, The Dead C) , never finding them bad, but nothing really hitting the mark. Roy Montgomery (Dadamah & Hash Jar Tempo) has always been my favourite from the country, but if this radically-opposite-of-Roy-Montomgery-up-and-comer keeps whipping up albums like this, she’ll be more renowned than Lord of The Rings. This is, for me at least, not only a Thriller-rivalling pop record, but unquestionably the most relevant coming-of-age album of the 21st century. I didn’t expect this album at all, and it’s been my most listened of 2017. Thanks Lorde.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2017 09:04
  • Post subject:

Etcetera by Laghonia

Laghonia are a Peruvian band I’m fairly fond of, they have two pretty good albums (this and Glue) which I play every once in a while. Early 70’s psych with a few twists.

Antichamber by Yannis Kyriakides

In failure to find anything terribly intreguing from Cyprus, I fell back on an album I heard a few years ago and wasn’t too fond of. Still not too fond of it. Tad nonsensical experimental whoknowswhat lacking any cohesiveness. Probably some members here who'll dig it though, so figured I'd share.

The Scientists by The Scientists

The Scientists Good ol’ gritty post-punk from down under, some really ace stuff with great energy and fantastic song writing. Cool little gem.

He O Oe Oe! by Puseletso Seema & Tau Ea Linare

Surprisingly, totally different than the music from South Africa released around the same time. Cool group-effort stuff, high energy, fun, yet always collected.

Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records by Jan Jelinek

*5 minutes in*… is this… good? What is this? Where am I?

*10 minutes in* Aight, feeling the groove… ish…

*about 20 minutes after the album’s stopped, pondering how*

Loop-finding-jazz-records is one of my favourite discoveries of 2017 without a doubt, influencing my perception of music far more than I could’ve ever imagined. Heavy rec.

Last edited by Hayden on 12/01/2017 13:36; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/01/2017 11:59
  • Post subject:
Glad you liked Jelinek, that's a great one. Have you listened to any of his other albums like, Kosmischer Pitch, or his collaboration last year with Masayoshi Fujita? Not quite as good as this, but still worth a spin when you get a chance.

Also, thanks for bringing Connie Converse, I had forgotten about her, which I feel bad about.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/01/2017 13:21
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Glad you liked Jelinek, that's a great one. Have you listened to any of his other albums like, Kosmischer Pitch, or his collaboration last year with Masayoshi Fujita? Not quite as good as this, but still worth a spin when you get a chance.

Also, thanks for bringing Connie Converse, I had forgotten about her, which I feel bad about.

Nah, haven't heard anything by him apart from that album. Fantastic stuff though, the guy's got a great ear. I'll def queue up a few more of his albums after my last-minute-2017-binge.

And yeah, digging the Connie Converse story (and album). Hadn't heard about her until about 2 weeks ago... Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/02/2017 09:10
  • Post subject:

Résistance by Songhoy Blues

Ladilikan by Trio Da Kali And Kronos Quartet

Double dose for Mali, both albums from 2017 (a stellar year for music from there). Malian music has always been a favourite of mine, it has a certain cleanliness to it unique within not only African music, but music anywhere. A visceral meaning to every note hit, all so natural yet presicely planned, often minimalism at its best. Helming a roster of Ali Farka Toure, Ballake Sissoko, Tourmani Diabate, Rokia Traore, Tamikrest, Bassekou Kouyate, Tinariwen, and an insane amount of national orchestres, Mali has long since proven an international powerhouse for music, and somewhere I’m always willing to dig something up from (1977 amiright?)

First is an album by Songhoy Blues, which is a complete blast. Blending rock, blues, jazz, highlife and even a bit of hiplife, it’s ridiculously fun and super accessible. Highly recommend for people trying to find an entry point into African music.

Second album from Mali is accompanied by a familiar name, Kronos Quartet. Truly, at its base, it’s not a terribly surprising record, it sounds exactly as you would expect a balafon/sanza/ngoni stringed orchestral arrangement by Kronos to go, and it’s absolutely beautiful. A seamless, yet unexpected, mesh of mande and classical fronted by Hawa Diabate, it’s (in my opinion) one of the year’s best releases, and a perfect example of how exciting and innovative the current music scene in Mali stands today. If you want to give it a taste first, the final 4 tracks are phenomenal.

Also from Mali 2017, check out Awa Poulo’s Poulo Warali, Vieux Farke Toure’s Samba, Luka Production’s Fasokan, Oumou Sangare’s Mogoya, Toumani Diabate & Sidiki Diabate’s Lamomali, and Tinariwen’s Elwan. Possibly the strongest year for Mali this decade, at least 10 great albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/03/2017 09:27
  • Post subject:

Osiris by Osiris

Psych-prog from Bahrain? Sure, why not. Hadn’t a clue the genre caught on over there in the 70’s. It’s actually aight stuff, very Genesis-esque but with some traditional middle-eastern flavours. As far as prog goes, it’s the kind of prog I dig.

Opus Dei by Laibach

Despite its praise, I think this album is pretty bad, but that’s just how it is sometimes. Duds happen.

...Like Water by Bun-Ching Lam

Tad tricky finding something from Macau, Asia… small population… etc… so I went to search on RYM and came up with this. Fairly short bit of classical music, but technically an album. I was a little indesicivie towards it, but it isn’t bad. Whimsical and very film-score-esque.

G H O S T by Tesa

Ghetto Vibes by King Short Shirt

King Short Shirt, Antiguan, evidently the king of short shirts, is quite capable at putting together a solid calypso record. The sort of thing you want to hear live while drinking an insufferably sweet alcoholic drink on a semi-habited beach. Often filled with politically-charged lyrics, King Short Shirt is quite aware ‘calypso make no money’ and life is confusing, so you might as well be happy for the time being. Hopefully the country will be able to recover one day…
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/04/2017 09:17
  • Post subject:

450 De Oi by Zdob şi Zdub

This album, whatever it is, has solidified my newfound belief that I will never go to Moldova because I’m scared of their sheep flute accordion middle-eastern yelling spoken-word hip-hop country metal whoknowswhat. Think The Room meets Bollywood + sheep, but an album. This 60-or-so minutes of music is possibly the least sensical and disjointed I have ever heard from anywhere and anypoint from any tracklisting of playlist ever compiled. This is one of those albums that makes you contemplate how bad albums can be… how bad music can be… how bad life can be…

Decorate by Yuna

A relisten, this is def an underrated album from 2010. Clean, forward thinking, crisp, Yuna’s Decorate is straight-up just a really cool record. I’ve yet to give any of her other (all newer) releases a listen, for I fear they look a smidge too commercial, but this is an excellent example of what indie pop can be.

En Mana Kuoyo by Ayub Ogada

One of the best.

Do Wah Nanny by Exuma

Exuma? Exuma. Do Wah Nanny? Do Wah Nanny.

Инструментальный анс... (Firyuza)

*water ripples… pitterpatter of triangle dings… fluttering violin… heartfelt piano… water… triangle… violin… piano… FUNK BASS… wait… wait… birds… there are birds… let’s draw it back a bit, add more soft jazz… aight… okay… some drumline-core snares… LOUD SAXOPHONE, LOUD, BLOW DAT HORN… bass bass bass… water…birds…wind…*

Collage-esque post-Soviet instrumental jazzy prog-funk from Turkmenistan (apparently there was a whole wave of this stuff, checked out a few other albums while I was at it), played by the guys on the cover. It’s beautiful stuff, definitely different. Full stream on Youtube, not need to shell out $700 for a vinyl copy. Also, any hip-hop samplers out there, here’s some gold, like, BIG SHOT gold… I might even whip something up with it myself.

Also, the third track’s got this killer clap-lead break that you gotta hear. If you dig it, check out Рапсодия and Gunesh, two other bands in this movement (Рапсодия’s got an album of straight fire and some killer samples…).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/05/2017 09:02
  • Post subject:

Slør by Eivör Pálsdóttir

Unquestionably blending the sounds of Sweden and Iceland, this is a mellow and somber yet high-energy pop record. It’s ballads, but clean hi-fi folk-pop. Think… The xx meet Bjork meet Madonna, or something like that. Sounds pretty much like the cover. She’s been around for awhile, but I figured I’d give one of her newer records a spin (she re-recorded Slor in English earlier this year, but I opted for the original). It’s aight, I could see a couple users here enjoying it. Nothing groundbreaking, and you can tell she’s trying a little too hard, but worth a spin for the acoustics and production. There’s also this one track (Tokuni) that has this small section of production unlike anything that I’ve ever heard before, so that was cool. Unfortunately, for those users fluent in Icelandic, turns out she mainly sings in Faroese (which is apparently a language).

Reet by Reet Hendrikson

Sard by Nizar Rohana

Finding actual albums from Palestine proved a task, but I feel like this fits the bill. Several lengthy compositions of traditional oud playing, yet they never seem to get boring. Standout: Ya Rayeh Sawb Bladi

OM by Negură Bunget

Fantastic atmospheric black metal, I’ve always dug Negura Bunget. They were actually my gateway into the genre. This is my favourite album of theirs (also the first I heard).

Exile by Geoffrey Oryema

Exile, one of my favourite African folk records. If you haven’t heard of Oryema, maybe the fact that this album was produced by Brian Eno and David Bottrill might get your attention. And some bloke named Peter Gabriel is on it too. Phenomenal record.
  • Visit poster's website