The Book of Souls
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 11

AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 17:38
  • Post subject: Best Iron Maiden Album?
The 4th installment of this series of polls coincides with a European tour announcement (damn it I live in the US). I want to check in with you all on a band that I've loved for a long time and one who I consider to be in the running for greatest heavy metal band of all time, Iron Maiden.

I've seen Maiden live 3 times (2010, 2012, 2016) each time different and in ways better than the last. Although, this is a thread about their records (which are great), the stage is where Maiden truly dominates. There are only a handful of artists who I've seen live that can be put in the same conversation as Iron Maiden. If you've seen them live, what did you think? What tour did you see them on?

From 1980-1988 the band was on an almost unstoppable run of classic studio material and now classic tours, a couple the band has revisited for historical purposes in the past few years (what other band does that in between putting out new albums of quality material?). Records like the Number of the Beast, Powerslave, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son were on repeat throughout my high school days and I revisit them and a lot of their other material once in a while. They remain for me an all time favorite. They became a band I would measure others up to. The legendary guitar work from Smith and Murray, the trademark bass of Steve Harris, the flawless single kick from Nicko McBrain, and of course Bruce Dickinson's air raid siren voice.

With all of this fanboying on my end over, let's get to it. What's the best Iron Maiden record?
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 18:08
  • Post subject:
Might be a bit contreversial to pick an album without Dickinson, but seeing these songs performed live by him makes this my top pick. Di'anno's voice lack the theatricality of Dickinson, but these songs are so tight and punchy, because they still had that punk edge to them. Plus, Phantom of the Opera has one of my favorite riffs of all time.

That riff at 4:30 in that song is absolutely killer when the other guitar part goes over it
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 18:55
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Might be a bit contreversial to pick an album without Dickinson, but seeing these songs performed live by him makes this my top pick. Di'anno's voice lack the theatricality of Dickinson, but these songs are so tight and punchy, because they still had that punk edge to them. Plus, Phantom of the Opera has one of my favorite riffs of all time.

That riff at 4:30 in that song is absolutely killer when the other guitar part goes over it

Nothing wrong with picking either of the first 2 Maiden records as your favorite. They are legendary and set the standard of things to come. You're absolutely right about two things, the punk nature being one. The first Iron Maiden album is a great mix of Steve Harris' love of prog mixed with Dianno's punk attitude. I also agree about the way Bruce sings them live. Shows just how great of songs many of them really are. Phantom, Remember Tomorrow, Running Free, great stuff.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 19:33
  • Post subject:
As always, I still have to list Piece of Mind as my fave. By I have tp say Senenth Son and Powerslave are just a hair behind with The Beast and Somewhere in Time just a hair after that.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 19:44
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
As always, I still have to list Piece of Mind as my fave. By I have tp say Senenth Son and Powerslave are just a hair behind with The Beast and Somewhere in Time just a hair after that.

Very similar to my taste with Maiden. I've always gone with Seventh Son and Powerslave as my top picks, but Piece of Mind has always been a dark horse even though it probably shouldn't be viewed as such. Piece of Mind boasts arguably their best bookends to an album, as well as the Trooper, Still Life, and maybe my favorite Maiden song, Revelations. I don't mind Sun and Steel as the vocals in the hook are brilliant, but Quest For Fire should have been burned. It's one of the few first Dickinson era tracks I can't stand.
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/13/2017 20:44
  • Post subject:
I really don’t see how anyone would think anything they’ve made post-1980’s is their best. Anyways, Powerslave takes the cake for me.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/13/2017 21:01
  • Post subject:
DJTommy wrote:
I really don’t see how anyone would think anything they’ve made post-1980’s is their best. Anyways, Powerslave takes the cake for me.

I normally just like to have the whole catalog up in case there are those who prefer a more out of left field choice in these polls, however I agree. The 4 albums that follow Seventh Son are spotty at best. There are some horribly low lows on Fear of the Dark even if it is in my opinion the strongest of the 4. No Prayer For The Dying has a couple songs I return to now and again, but they aren't special, well written gems that you could find in the midst of Maiden's most aggressive era of output. Janick added nothing.

I think they found a good, newer formula when Bruce and Adrian came back, but for me the formula became a bit tiring by AMLOAD. I really like The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls though. Are they as good as Powerslave and the Number of the Beast? No, but I think they are the best albums since the reunion.
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:11
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I normally just like to have the whole catalog up in case there are those who prefer a more out of left field choice in these polls, however I agree. The 4 albums that follow Seventh Son are spotty at best. There are some horribly low lows on Fear of the Dark even if it is in my opinion the strongest of the 4. No Prayer For The Dying has a couple songs I return to now and again, but they aren't special, well written gems that you could find in the midst of Maiden's most aggressive era of output. Janick added nothing.

I think they found a good, newer formula when Bruce and Adrian came back, but for me the formula became a bit tiring by AMLOAD. I really like The Final Frontier and The Book of Souls though. Are they as good as Powerslave and the Number of the Beast? No, but I think they are the best albums since the reunion.

For sure. Though the 1990’s were quite the midlife crisis for the band, I think they’ve been solid ever since Bruce and Adrian returned, and have aged well. But I don’t think their 2000’s/10’s stuff hold anything against their classic 1980’s output (maybe with the exception of Killers, which I’ve never been that much a fan of). But that’s too much to expect of veterans TBH. At least they’ve not ended up like Deep Purple.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 11/13/2017 22:58
  • Post subject:
Although it doesn't have that many classic tracks like the albums from 1982-1984, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son gets my vote as their most consistently enjoyable record.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 00:27
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

Nah. i'm right there with you. there first two r the best. Although I like all the 80s Dickinson stuff too. But Killers & s/t easily the ones I listen to the most.
  • Visit poster's website