Power Pop Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 18:53
  • Post subject:
i've been building a chart on this genre recently. I have about 20+ more albums to listen to, but here's what I have so far for power pop.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 19:54
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Kudos to street spirit for mentioning Fountains of Wayne, Soul Asylum and Weezer in the same thread. I'm in 90s power pop heaven! Personally I would go for Utopia Parkway, Let your dim light shine and Weezer (green album) though, but still great choices.

Fountains of Wayne exemplify the genre perfectly for me, but then again I grew up in the 90s so am biased towards this era.

I also like Utopia Parkway; Senator's Daughter and Red Dragon Tattoo are really great tracks. As an album, I don't think it's up to their first one, but certainly better than Welcome Interstate Managers. I'm not a big fan of that one. In hindsight, I should've mentioned Green Album instead of Pinkerton. I think Pinkerton is better, but Green Album better exemplifies the Power Pop genre (Green Album is arguably a better example of Power Pop than Blue Album).

I'm in '90s Power Pop heaven as well! Again, I'd say Goo Goo Dolls best represent the genre.

rkm wrote:
Power Pop definition: descending from the Beatles and the Byrds, with an emphasis on melody and harmony, with guitars that jangle and crunch.
Michael1981 wrote:
I find power-pop pretty recognisable but I suppose some bands are more exemplary than others. I think: up-tempo rock beat +big guitar sound (but not heavy)+big emphasis on catchy pop hooks + very little deviation from this= power pop.
dihansse wrote:
Powerful but not hardrock or punk
Guitar based but not focused on guitar solo’s
Independent minded but not indie
Commercial but not simple pop
Not too difficult but based on hooks but nevertheless based on an original twist (cf the stop go moment in in My Sharona which I suppose must be one of the quintessential powerpop songs).

^^^All great definitions

paladisiac wrote:
i've been building a chart on this genre recently. I have about 20+ more albums to listen to, but here's what I have so far for power pop.

Elvis Costello, never thought of him as Power Pop but sure he fits the definition. I forgot to mention Ben Folds, but yeah Whatever and Ever Amen is a nice cross of power pop and piano rock. I love your #1 and that you included Fastball. I also saw Pixies on your chart. I don't know, they seem a little too indie alternative. However I haven't heard Come on Pilgrim, only their later stuff. Maybe that first album fits the definition. I'm not sure about Paramore either, are they catchy enough to earn the label? If you haven't already, give So Much For the Afterglow by Everclear a listen. Great album and totally Power Pop.
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/14/2017 20:02
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:

Elvis Costello, never thought of him as Power Pop but sure he fits the definition. I forgot to mention Ben Folds, but yeah Whatever and Ever Amen is a nice cross of power pop and piano rock. I love your #1 and that you included Fastball. I also saw Pixies on your chart. I don't know, they seem a little too indie alternative. However I haven't heard Come on Pilgrim, only their later stuff. Maybe that first album fits the definition. I'm not sure about Paramore either, are they catchy enough to earn the label? If you haven't already, give So Much For the Afterglow by Everclear a listen. Great album and totally Power Pop.

I've added Everclear's "afterglow" to my list of power pop albums to try, along with:

more Emitt Rhodes
Raspberries - starting over
Artful Dodger (US) (3 more albums to hear after their debut)
The Dwight Twilley Band
Shoes
20/20
The Beat
Spongetones
Plimsouls
Tommy Keene
Smithereens - green thoughts
The Knack - serious fun
Velvet Crush
Posies
Gigolo Aunts
Sloan - one chord to another
fountains of wayne - utopian parkway
and a couple Ok Go albums

Last edited by paladisiac on 11/15/2017 16:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 11/15/2017 03:41
  • Post subject:

Mars Needs Guitars! by Hoodoo Gurus
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2017 03:48
  • Post subject:
Haven't seen Teenage Fanclub, Go-Go's, or Ex Hex mentioned yet or in the chart. They all have strong power pop albums as well.