View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 02:42
  • Post subject:
[quote="sethmadsen"][quote="AAL2014"]
sethmadsen wrote:

I probably exaggerated.

When 10 years ago I'd probably say it was their best album. And I'm not saying that to say it hasn't aged well. I even really like the song "I Like Dirt", which for some might be a filler track.

I said top 4 cause at the time I wasn't sure if it is better than By The Way. I think for me those two albums swap places pending on mood, etc.

When I was 16 or so, Californiacation was easily the top 5 records of all time or at least that I spun the most.

I think less fanboi types (like I and possibly you) would say, cut half the songs out of Stadium Arcadium and it'd be just as good as Californiacation... and I'd say actually, this massive body of work is exactly what I love about it. Especially discovering stuff like If.

I completely agree with everything you're saying. I agree with what you're saying about cutting Stadium to make it as good/better than Californication, let's try something with that.

Quite honestly, there are always too many songs on Chili Peppers songs. I adore BSSM, it's in my top 10 but if that's a 10-11 song record, holy fucking shit. By The Way could lose 4 songs too and I'd be just fine.

Obviously thinking SA is better than Californication is not a crime, and of course the other way around. RHCP is really just, like you mentioned, one of those groups that I go to different records while in different moods.

I at one point may have been a fanboi but now I'm a little more relaxed about a lot of things in music that I wasn't before Laughing Laughing Laughing
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 15:29
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I'd really like to hear your thoughts when you listen to it. It's spotty, but even the spotty parts have some charisma and character not found very often in what people normally consider filler. The highlights on Stadium are as good as anything the band has ever done in my opinion.

Almost through DISC 1 and it's about as good as Californication or By The Way. They must've felt pretty confident they hit their groove at this time in order to put out a 2 disc set and so far i agree with them. Not sure I'd ever sit through 28 tracks of this era of RHCP -- i'll be listening to other stuff in-between the 2 discs -- but it's pretty solid stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2017 04:45
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
I'd really like to hear your thoughts when you listen to it. It's spotty, but even the spotty parts have some charisma and character not found very often in what people normally consider filler. The highlights on Stadium are as good as anything the band has ever done in my opinion.

Almost through DISC 1 and it's about as good as Californication or By The Way. They must've felt pretty confident they hit their groove at this time in order to put out a 2 disc set and so far i agree with them. Not sure I'd ever sit through 28 tracks of this era of RHCP -- i'll be listening to other stuff in-between the 2 discs -- but it's pretty solid stuff.

Would there be another era?
  • Visit poster's website