Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/15/2017 21:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#2528): Stadium Arcadium
Today's album of the day

Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 2006.
Overall rank: 448
Average rating: 73/100 (from 667 votes).

Tracks:
1. Dani California
2. Snow (Hey Oh)
3. Charlie
4. Stadium Arcadium
5. Hump De Bump
6. She’s Only 18
7. Slow Cheetah
8. Torture Me
9. Strip My Mind
10. Especially In Michigan
11. Warlocks
12. C’mon Girl
13. Wet Sand
14. Hey
15. Desecration Smile
16. Tell Me Baby
17. Hard To Concentrate
18. 21st Century
19. She Looks To Me
20. Readymade
21. If
22. Make You Feel Better
23. Animal Bar
24. So Much I
25. Storm In A Teacup
26. We Believe
27. Turn It Again
28. Death Of A Martian

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2017 21:07
  • Post subject:
I'd give anyone that could name two songs off this album besides Dani California or Snow a dollar.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2017 22:07
  • Post subject:
coincidentally, i will be listening to this album for the first time within the next couple days. i don't have high hopes but will give it a shot.
  • Visit poster's website
saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 11/15/2017 23:09
  • Post subject:
Although it's a little bloated with slightly too much filler, this album is a great fusion of many of the group's styles over the years. Some of the band's best songs appear here, such as Snow, Dani California, Strip My Mind, and Desecration Smile. The major standout though is Wet Sand, which I believe to be the best Chili Peppers song, and on of the best rock songs ever written; with its deep and meaningful lyrics, background accordion that pops up here and there, and the slow burn that leads to an incredible climax.

As a whole, really good album.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2017 00:26
  • Post subject:
paladisiac wrote:
coincidentally, i will be listening to this album for the first time within the next couple days. i don't have high hopes but will give it a shot.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts when you listen to it. It's spotty, but even the spotty parts have some charisma and character not found very often in what people normally consider filler. The highlights on Stadium are as good as anything the band has ever done in my opinion.

It's bloated as hell and might have been a devastatingly good single album, but there's something here for everyone. More airy, Frusciante influenced tracks like Snow and Especially In Michigan (a personal and nostalgic favorite for a Michigander such as myself), funkier tracks like Charlie and Hump De Bump, heavier tracks like Torture Me and Readymade. A good album, not great, but I will always have a soft spot for it.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2017 05:24
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I'd give anyone that could name two songs off this album besides Dani California or Snow a dollar.

haha - I'd likely make at least 10 bucks off ya.

I actually really like this album. I may have played it to death from 2006 to 2012, but still enjoy it.

I think Flea said something like if you don't love this album, you don't love the RHCP. I mean sometimes artists say crap like this to sell their album, but I actually totally agree with it. The only other album that really is the height of RHCP is Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic. This album is by far better than Californiacation, which I would probably still put in their top 4 or so.

Idk - I just feel like this was such a gush of artistic heart from a band who maybe isn't the most cerebral or thought provoking... but that's just it, they aren't that on purpose. They are all about the heart and soul of music. They really play off that whole Goethe's demon/genie/genius thing and are inspired not by the learning of man, but the natural inspiration of the heart. I think this is why it was said while this album doesn't have a lot of filler in the typical meaning of the word, it might be a bit of overload.

This album I think incorporates that really well. Also if you don't realize John Frusciante is easily the top 5 guitarist in the past 30 years, you really haven't been paying attention to him at all.

Album totally deserves to be in top 500 albums of all time (imo)... as it is here on BEA.

Ok so I'm totally serious about what I said, but this is still funny and there's some truth to it, but in someways it mocks those who really only can see the RHCP's in this way:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2017 06:01
  • Post subject:
[quote="sethmadsen"]

Quote:
Idk - I just feel like this was such a gush of artistic heart from a band who maybe isn't the most cerebral or thought provoking

Totally agree with the majority of what you are saying here. Especially this ^^^. Great way to describe this record.

However I have to disagree almost entirely with this..

Quote:
This album is by far better than Californiacation

Californication is a lot hungrier and a little more cohesive in my opinion. Californication has 2 things going against it however as A.) it does overstay its welcome. I would have cut a couple tracks toward the end. and B.) the mixing/engineering is horrendous.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2017 06:08
  • Post subject:
And ironically I just checked the thread of comments on Arcadium's BEA page and there's a comment from me from 2014 saying I liked it more than BSSM and Californication. Haha, 3 and a half additional years of listening can change your opinions that's for sure.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 11/16/2017 11:40
  • Post subject:
Wet Sand indeed is one of the best songs ever and probably their best ever song.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/16/2017 23:31
  • Post subject:
[quote="AAL2014"]
sethmadsen wrote:

Quote:
Idk - I just feel like this was such a gush of artistic heart from a band who maybe isn't the most cerebral or thought provoking

Totally agree with the majority of what you are saying here. Especially this ^^^. Great way to describe this record.

However I have to disagree almost entirely with this..

Quote:
This album is by far better than Californiacation

Californication is a lot hungrier and a little more cohesive in my opinion. Californication has 2 things going against it however as A.) it does overstay its welcome. I would have cut a couple tracks toward the end. and B.) the mixing/engineering is horrendous.

I probably exaggerated.

When 10 years ago I'd probably say it was their best album. And I'm not saying that to say it hasn't aged well. I even really like the song "I Like Dirt", which for some might be a filler track.

I said top 4 cause at the time I wasn't sure if it is better than By The Way. I think for me those two albums swap places pending on mood, etc.

When I was 16 or so, Californiacation was easily the top 5 records of all time or at least that I spun the most.

I think less fanboi types (like I and possibly you) would say, cut half the songs out of Stadium Arcadium and it'd be just as good as Californiacation... and I'd say actually, this massive body of work is exactly what I love about it. Especially discovering stuff like If.
  • Visit poster's website