Choose Your Own Genre Adventure: Adventure #1, Girl Group

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which genre would you most like a diary about?
Avant-Garde Jazz
12%
 12%  [2]
Baroque Pop
12%
 12%  [2]
Girl Group
25%
 25%  [4]
Jazz-Funk
12%
 12%  [2]
MPB (Música Popular Brasileira)
0%
 0%  [0]
Southern Hip Hop
6%
 6%  [1]
Sunshine Pop
18%
 18%  [3]
Twee Pop
12%
 12%  [2]
Total Votes : 16

Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2017 23:20
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Ok, girl group is clearly leading the vote, so that will be genre adventure #1!

Step 1: Listening to and writing about releases I already have/know (chronological order)

25 All-Time Greatest Hits by The Shirelles (1958-1964)
The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 2 by Various Artists (1958-1966)
Back To Mono by Various Artists (1958-1969)
The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 1 by Various Artists (1960-1966)
Da Doo Ron Ron: The Very Best Of The Crystals by The Crystals (1961-1964)
The Ultimate Collection by The Marvelettes (1961-1969)
One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found by Various Artists (1961-1969)
A Christmas Gift For You by Various Artists (1963)
The Ultimate Collection by Martha & The Vandellas (1963-1972)
Gold by The Supremes (1963-1976)
Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica by The Ronettes (1964)
Chapel Of Love by The Dixie Cups (1964)
Myrmidons Of Melodrama by The Shangri-Las (1964-1966)
Shangri-Las - 65! by The Shangri-Las (1965)
Truth Gotta Stand by The Luv'd Ones (1966)
A Go Go by Dara Puspita (1968)
Spring Fever! by The Pussywillows (1988)

Step 2: New Albums (provisional list)

Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes (1964)
Girls In The Garage, Vol. 1 by Various Artists (1964-1967)
Dance Party by Martha & The Vandellas (1965)
More Hits By The Supremes by The Supremes (1965)
The Supremes A' Go-Go by The Supremes (1966)
Watchout! by Martha & The Vandellas (1966)
The Supremes Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland by The Supremes (1967)
We Are The Pipettes by The Pipettes (2006)

I'll start on step 1 soon. If you have album recs for step 2, please feel free to leave them in the thread at any time!

This looks awesome! I’ll try to keep up
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2017 07:15
  • Post subject:
Here's some that are pretty essential but you don't see them much on all the different girl group compilations.
I see you have the excellent Best of the Girl Groups compilations. Those are awesome.

And I've included at the end a few classic albums from the early 70s Girl Group Revival/ Cover/Tribute trend. To girl group fans these are important albums, because this was when the 60s girl groups began to be taken very seriously as part of Rock and Roll history. As they are today.

We Are The Chantels by The Chantels

Mr. Lee And Other Big Hits by The Bobbettes

The Dimension Dolls by Various Artists

Sweet Inspirations by Sweet Inspirations

Sweet Talkin' Guy by The Chiffons

New Ways But Love Stays by The Supremes

The Very Best Of Patti LaBelle And The ...Bluebelles

Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows: The...esley Gore

Girl group revival classics

Gonna Take A Miracle by Laura Nyro And Labelle

Bonnie Pointer (Purple Album) by Bonnie Pointer

Bette Midler by Bette Midler

The Divine Miss M by Bette Midler

The Manhattan Transfer by The Manhattan Transfer

The Pointer Sisters by Pointer Sisters

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 11/19/2017 08:31; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2017 07:47
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure if you're interested in second wave girl groups, but these early 70s girl groups we're pretty much a continuation of the 60s girl group idea, although by now they had a different sound. But there were still several classic records to come out of it.

International by The Three Degrees

The Three Degrees by The Three Degrees

Sweet Replies by Honey Cone

Labelle by Labelle

Floy Joy by The Supremes

Flowers by The Emotions

Stargard by Stargard

Love Somebody Today by Sister Sledge

Arabian Nights by The Ritchie Family

Dont Take My Coconuts by Kid Creole And The Coconuts
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2017 20:15
  • Post subject:
Thanks for all the recs, bobby! I will pick a few of them to add to my new listening list when I get there. I have and love that Lesley Gore comp, but excluded it because it's solo.

25 All-Time Greatest Hits by The Shirelles

First up in my re-listening list, this is probably the best and most comprehensive Shirelles collection, arranged mostly in chronological order and selected mostly based on chart success. This comprehensiveness, while an asset, can work against the compilation. Some fairly mediocre material finds its way on, especially toward the end. Whenever things fall short, it is usually not the fault of the vocal or instrumental performances, but rather weak or cliched songwriting. One exception is the shrill organ solo in "Baby, It's You", which mars an otherwise near-perfect song. The Shirelles started out as a female doo-wop group in 1957, releasing their debut single in 1958. Stylistically, they changed with the times toward a more pop soul sound. In contrast to many other girl groups, Spector-produced and otherwise, the arrangements are not colossal walls of sound, but generally more understated, although there are some nice string sections. The most interesting arrangement comes on "It's Love That Really Counts (In The Long Run)." To summarize, the highs on this collection are phenomenal - some of the best songs of the girl group movement, and some of the best songs period. The lows are fairly middling, but never below average.

Top 3 Tracks:

1. Will You Love Me Tomorrow (1960) 5/5
An utter masterpiece about an eternal human question. One of the greatest songs ever made. Written by Carole King & Gerry Goffin, it was the first girl group song to go to #1.

2. Mama Said (1961) 5/5
Maybe the hardest rocking single they made, but one that is also emotionally potent, with its reassurance that even the now-lonely will one day find love. Written by Luther Dixon & Willie Denson, it went to #4.

3. Baby, It's You (1961) 4.5/5
Both the single and album versions appear here, with minor differences. Sadly, that piercing organ is in both. A soulful, slow burning song that's almost perfect. Written by Burt Bacharach, Luther Dixon & Mack David, it went to #8.

Unweighted Track Average: 3.85
Time-Weighted Track Average: 3.86
Top 40 Minutes Track Average: 4.16
Overall Rating: 3.96

This was a very good re-listen. I'm unsure about whether to subsequently delve into their albums or not, as I'm concerned there may be a lot of filler.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2017 22:11
  • Post subject:
Awesome. I like the way you talk about music. So down-to-earth and sensible or something.

I understand about not including solo Acts, however people like Lesley Gore and little Eva we definitely part of the girl group sound and movement. They're kind of like girl groups with just one girl. Heh heh. Besides, people who were billed as the singers were very often not the ONLY singers on the record. For example the other singers on a little Eva record might have been the cookies or someone else but just not billed as such.

As much as I think Wi'll You Love Me Tomorrow is one of the greatest songs ever, my favorite Shirelles song is Dedicated to The One I Love. I just love that record.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2017 23:12
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Awesome. I like the way you talk about music. So down-to-earth and sensible or something.

I understand about not including solo Acts, however people like Lesley Gore and little Eva we definitely part of the girl group sound and movement. They're kind of like girl groups with just one girl. Heh heh. Besides, people who were billed as the singers were very often not the ONLY singers on the record. For example the other singers on a little Eva record might have been the cookies or someone else but just not billed as such.

As much as I think Wi'll You Love Me Tomorrow is one of the greatest songs ever, my favorite Shirelles song is Dedicated to The One I Love. I just love that record.

Thank you! Point well taken. Here is a revised re-listening list:

25 All-Time Greatest Hits by The Shirelles (1958-1964) writeup complete
The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 2 by Various Artists (1958-1966)
Back To Mono by Various Artists (1958-1969) heavy overlap with other releases and a lot of non-girl group material
The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 1 by Various Artists (1960-1966)
Da Doo Ron Ron: The Very Best Of The Crystals by The Crystals (1961-1964)
The Ultimate Collection by The Marvelettes (1961-1969)
One Kiss Can Lead To Another: Girl Group Sounds Lost And Found by Various Artists (1961-1969)
A Christmas Gift For You by Various Artists (1963)
Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows: The Best Of Lesley Gore by Lesley Gore (1963-1967) new addition
The Ultimate Collection by Martha And The Vandellas (1963-1972) writing up their LPs only
Gold by The Supremes (1963-1976) writing up their LPs only
Presenting The Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica by The Ronettes (1964)
Chapel Of Love by The Dixie Cups (1964)
Myrmidons Of Melodrama by The Shangri-Las (1964-1966) writing up their LPs only
Shangri-Las - 65! by The Shangri-Las (1965)
Truth Gotta Stand by The Luv'd Ones (1966)
A Go Go by Dara Puspita (1968)
Composes, Produces And Sings by Ellie Greenwich (1968) new addition
Spring Fever! by The Pussywillows (1988)
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2017 23:55
  • Post subject:
I always wanted to hear that Ellie Greenwich album but never did for some reason. There's no other writer more responsible for the greatest girl group hits, besides Carole King. I once had an Ellie Greenwich album from the early 70s called Let It Be Written Let It Be Sung. ,. But the only song I really remember is her version of the song she wrote for the Beach Boys, I Can Hear Music.
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/26/2017 00:30
  • Post subject:
Really think you should check this LP out for your girl groups thread - produced by Lee Hazlewood, sunk without a trace due to some awful marketing and then (once one of the members left) disappeared into the mists of time. It's a really good listen, especially if Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls is your kind of film:

Honey Ltd. by Honey Ltd.
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2017 17:00
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Really think you should check this LP out for your girl groups thread - produced by Lee Hazlewood, sunk without a trace due to some awful marketing and then (once one of the members left) disappeared into the mists of time. It's a really good listen, especially if Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls is your kind of film:

Honey Ltd. by Honey Ltd.

I've never watched that film, but thanks for the album rec - I'll add it to the list. I'm intrigued that it's listed under psychedelic pop as well as girl group.
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/27/2017 19:39
  • Post subject:
Rhino makes the best compilations, and these two are no exception. They cover a broad range of girl group and girl group adjacent music, placing singles from obscure artists alongside smash hits from more established stars. If you could only have two discs to represent the genre, these would be solid choices. There's no Motown here, and almost no Phil Spector (exception: The Paris Sisters), and the absence of those giants leaves room for the exploration that ensues. The first disc is markedly stronger than the second, as one might expect, but both have essential material. When the material is at its strongest, it has inspired, sugary pop production (such as the Bach flip of "A Lover's Concerto" by The Toys or the booming drums of "The Kind Of Boy You Can't Forget" by The Raindrops). When the material is at its weakest, the chief cause is dramatically regressive politics of gender and sexuality. The chief offenders in this category are "He's Got The Power" by The Exciters and "Johnny Get Angry" by Joanie Sommers. The latter, which also includes an abominable kazoo solo, is the only comprehensively awful song among the two discs. While these are not perfect collections, they are nonetheless essential listening for anyone interested in the girl group phenomenon.

The Best Of The Girl Groups, Volume 1 b...us Artists

Unweighted Track Average: 4.33
Time-Weighted Track Average: 4.35
Top 40 Minutes Track Average: 4.57
Overall Rating: 4.42

Top 3 Tracks (excluding Will You Love Me Tomorrow, previously awarded):

1. Remember (Walking In The Sand) by The Shangri-Las (1964) 5/5
In their work with Shadow Morton, the Shangri-Las created symphonies of heartbreak, and this might be the best one. Everything is in its ideal place, from the cascading opening chords, to the backing vocals, to the bird sounds. It tells a story of profound loss, and reached #5.

2. One Fine Day by The Chiffons (1963) 5/5
On the emotional flip side comes this optimistic and up-tempo tune, which is an absolute jam from the second its torrential piano intro begins. Written by King and Goffin, it went to #5.

3. Sally, Go 'Round The Roses by The Jaynetts (1963) 5/5
One of the most interesting and high-value singles production-wise (at a reported cost of $60,000), this features a spacey, atmospheric soundscape that complements the unique lyrics. Written by Lona Stevens and Zell Sanders, it peaked at #2.

The Best Of The Girl Groups, Volume 2 b...us Artists

Unweighted Track Average: 3.89
Time-Weighted Track Average: 3.85
Top 40 Minutes Track Average: 4.09
Overall Rating: 3.94

Top 3 Tracks:

1. You Don't Have To Be A Baby To Cry by The Caravelles (1963) 5/5
Soft-focus and plodding, with a slight twang that belies their British origin. It's a simple song done very beautifully. Written by Bob Merrill and Terry Shand, it went to #3 in the States.

2. I Love How You Love Me by The Paris Sisters (1961) 5/5
Another track with rounded sonic edges. With its delicate vocals and production, this one feels like sinking into a mound of blankets and pillows. Written by Barry Mann and Larry Kolber, it was a #5 hit.

3. The Loco-Motion by Little Eva (1962) 4.5/5
The most propulsive, danceable hit of the girl group sound would probably be this tune. The saxophone train noises take it to the next level. Another King and Goffin song, this was a #1 smash.