Trimming The Fat: Making Stadium Arcadium A Single LP

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 07:48
  • Post subject: Trimming The Fat: Making Stadium Arcadium A Single LP
It's pretty much a universal opinion. Recent BEA album of the day, Stadium Arcadium, a fan favorite by the Red Hot Chili Peppers has too many fuckin songs. I once even saw drummer Chad Smith exclaim "Stadium Arcadium has 28 songs. I have no idea what we were thinking!"

It's really the one outstanding flaw the album has. It was my first favorite RHCP record as it was so diverse in terms of their styles shifting throughout the record. I think in many ways, Stadium is a high water mark in the Chili Peppers discography both in songwriting and production. You might get me to say it's their best work if it was a single album. Some of those songs could make for some killer b-sides.

So I'd like to see some of your takes on a Arcadium from an alternate dimension, or just a custom Spotify playlist. Choose up to 14 songs (half the original amount) and make a kick ass and concise new version of Stadium Arcadium.

My Gut Reaction List:

1.) Dani California
2.) Snow
3.) Charlie
4.) Stadium Arcadium
5.) She's Only 18
6.) Tell Me Baby
7.) Readymade
8.) Strip My Mind
9.) Especially In Michigan
10.) Hey
11.) Animal Bar
12.) We Believe
13.) Wet Sand
14.) Death of a Martian
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 14:37
  • Post subject:
I kind of stopped caring about the Chili Peppers a few years ago but for some reason this is one of the two albums by them I still enjoy. I agree it's got some filler but overall I think it works really well - it's a great album for a long road trip, a long study session, or a slow day at work. All of that said there are some tracks I don't really care for - here are my 14 (I didn't play with the order at all so this is the order they appear on the album):

1. Snow (Hey Oh)
2. Stadium Arcadium
3. She’s Only 18
4. Slow Cheetah
5. Torture Me
6. Strip My Mind
7. Especially In Michigan
8. Wet Sand
9. Hey
10. Desecration Smile
11. Tell Me Baby
12. Hard To Concentrate
13. She Looks To Me
14. Make You Feel Better

Just realized this would be a really mellow album. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 15:31
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:

1. Snow (Hey Oh)
2. Stadium Arcadium
3. She’s Only 18
4. Slow Cheetah
5. Torture Me
6. Strip My Mind
7. Especially In Michigan
8. Wet Sand
9. Hey
10. Desecration Smile
11. Tell Me Baby
12. Hard To Concentrate
13. She Looks To Me
14. Make You Feel Better

Just realized this would be a really mellow album. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I like this order a lot. I had the same thought about it being a bit mellow while making mine. I do think the consistently great stuff on Stadium is more mellow though. I tried fitting Hard To Concentrate on my track list but thought it would be a touch too mellow with what I had going haha. I do think it's a very poignant love song though.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 16:15
  • Post subject:
I'll trim down some albums I still kind of like.

Californication: Omit the last 3 tracks. End with Savior, that's a good album closer. Purple Stain is meh, and Right on Time brings nothing to the album. Road Trippin' is ok, but I don't think it would be that much of a loss.

By The Way: Omit I Could Die For You, Midnight, Cabron. Now the albums 12 minutes shorter, under an hour.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik: Omit My Lovely Man, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, If You Have to Ask. Boom album is under an hour.

Even when I was going through the Chili Pepper phase (doesn't everyone) I thought their albums were way too long.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 16:24
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I like this order a lot. I had the same thought about it being a bit mellow while making mine. I do think the consistently great stuff on Stadium is more mellow though. I tried fitting Hard To Concentrate on my track list but thought it would be a touch too mellow with what I had going haha. I do think it's a very poignant love song though.

The hardest part was cutting out the last four tracks, which I do enjoy. But the funkier stuff like Charlie, Hump De Bump, and especially C'mon Girl i would not miss at all. Death of a Martian was probably my hardest cut.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 16:25
  • Post subject:
First, you are all savages. haha just kidding. I really do like the 28 song length. I suppose it's just hard to unhear it.

But if I had to, this would be it in no particular order:
Dani California
Snow
Charlie
Hump De Bump
Torture Me
Tell Me Baby
Hard To Concentrate
Readymade
If
We Believe
Turn It Again
Desecration Smile
Hey
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 11/17/2017 21:34
  • Post subject:
This thread would work pretty well with the album of the day too (and its counterpart). And with Queen's A Night At The Opera / A Day At The Races pair as well, which I don't find individually very strong, but which both feature brilliant songs. A "best of" these two records would actually be pretty high on my chart for sure Think
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 21:43
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
This thread would work pretty well with the album of the day too (and its counterpart). And with Queen's A Night At The Opera / A Day At The Races pair as well, which I don't find individually very strong, but which both feature brilliant songs. A "best of" these two records would actually be pretty high on my chart for sure Think

Holy shit. I was just driving home listening to some tracks from Use Your Illusion II I hadn't heard in forever, thinking about doing a thread for the UYI's ( at 4 EST when BEA's AOTD switches). How strange. That's the biggest coincidence that's happened to me in a good while Shocked hahaha

Definitely interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the Illusion records. Same with the Queen records and a few others in mind.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/17/2017 21:54
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan wrote:
The hardest part was cutting out the last four tracks, which I do enjoy. But the funkier stuff like Charlie, Hump De Bump, and especially C'mon Girl i would not miss at all. Death of a Martian was probably my hardest cut.

I love Charlie especially how it follows Snow, undeniable chorus. Same how the title track follows Charlie. I had to keep that part of the record in tact as it means too much for me. Certainly feel you on C'mon Girl though, alright track, nothing special at all.

Death of a Martian I had to include personally because I love Ant's bantering lyrics at the end to close to record. Also with it being about the death of Flea's dog makes it pretty sentimental to me. Losing a dog is tough as fuck.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/17/2017 23:15
  • Post subject:
Well, first of all thank you for bringing the romantic nostalgia to my life. RHCP were my first band ever, when I was 5-6. Very young. Stadium and By the Way along with several songs from Blood Sugar and Californication were played day and night for years... Ah childhood. I haven't listened to some of the deeper cuts for years... And I've grown tired of most of the hits, so I don't think there'll be many here.

1. Dani California
2. Snow
3. Stadium Arcadium
4. Strip My Mind
5. Especially In Michigan
6. Wet Sand
7. Hey
8. Desecration Smile
9. Tell Me Baby
10. Hard To Concentrate
11. She Looks To Me
12. Readymade
13. So Much I
14. Death Of A Martian

Well it isn't as hit free as I thought Smile And it was very hard as well.

Love your threads, Rush, this and several more I've seen but haven't posted on. Keep 'em coming.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website