3) Surf's Up
4) In My Room
5) Don't Worry Baby
6) She knows Me too Well
7) Solar System
8/ Johnny Carson
9) I'd Love just Once to See You
10) Match Point of our Love

Johnny Carson is awesome! Will check out Match Point of our love as never heard it Smile

Perhaps the lyrics are not so good for a native English speaker ("match point of our love" mmh) but the melody is lovely

I'm on the fence about Match Point after a couple of listens. The middle 8 is lovely though and is overall way better than anything I expected off the MIU album. I could probably grow to quite like this track.
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/20/2017 13:18
  • Post subject:
I'm now trying to think of my 10 favourite lesser known or slightly obscure Beach Boys tracks. These ones immediately spring to mind (in no particular order), though there are many contenders...

It's ok (15 big ones)
Back home (15 big ones)
The night was so young (Love you)
Big Sur (Holland)
All I wanna do (Sunflower)
Cool, cool water (Sunflower)
Still I dream of it (unofficial release though it's on a box set on Spotify)
Aren't you glad (Wild Honey)
Hushabye (All summer long)
We'll run away (All summer long)
Lastings

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2017 16:03
  • Post subject:
1) Caroline, No
2) Don't Worry Baby
3) God only knows
4) Wouldn't it be nice
5) Good Vibrations
6) I just wasn't made for these times
7) I get around
Cool Heroes and Villains
9) Little Saint nick (i mean, Christmas is coming up, right?)
10. In My room
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2017 17:14
  • Post subject:
Not as familiar with the Beach Boys catalog like I should, but I appreciate everything on Pet Sounds, plays like a dream.

I have always thought Wouldn't It Be Nice is probably the most perfect pop song ever written.
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/20/2017 20:59
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Yann wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Yann wrote:
So Tough! Smile

1) God Only Knows
2) I just Wasn't Made for This Time
3) Surf's Up
4) In My Room
5) Don't Worry Baby
6) She knows Me too Well
7) Solar System
8/ Johnny Carson

Johnny Carson is awesome! Will check out Match Point of our love as never heard it Smile

Perhaps the lyrics are not so good for a native English speaker ("match point of our love" mmh) but the melody is lovely

I'm on the fence about Match Point after a couple of listens. The middle 8 is lovely though and is overall way better than anything I expected off the MIU album. I could probably grow to quite like this track.

On the same super-soft vein, I like: "All That is That" on Carl and the Passion-So Tough
And "Had to Phone Ya" on 15 Big Ones
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/20/2017 22:03
  • Post subject:
Yann wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Yann wrote:
Michael1981 wrote:
Yan n wrote:
So Tough! Smile

1) God Only Knows
2) I just Wasn't Made for This Time
3) Surf's Up
4) In My Room
5) Don't Worry Baby
6) She knows Me too Well
7) Solar System
8/ Johnny Carson

On the same super-soft vein, I like: "All That is That" on Carl and the Passion-So Tough
And "Had to Phone Ya" on 15 Big Ones

Definitely. Not a huge fan of those albums but some great standout tracks. I'd forgotten about "All this and that". I really like that one. 70s Beach Boys requires some trepidation but is worth it for the gems you find. I haven't tried any 80s albums yet. Maybe someday.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/20/2017 22:04
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Definitely. Not a huge fan of those albums but they are standouts. I'd forgotten about All this an that- that one is really nice. 70s Beach Boys requires some trepidation but worth it for the gems you discover. I haven't ventured into their 80s output though. Maybe someday.

Holland is about as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Carl & The Passions/So Tough is passable, then it's pretty much all downhill for me from there as they got Love'd. Picked up 15 Bigs Ones and Love You an age ago and couldn't wait to shift them on - bloody travesties both.

Always surprises me that the selections Friends tend to get bypassed by many. Then again it's such a beautiful record that it probably hangs together best as a collection of short tracks rather than having any stand-out moments, although Dennis' Little Bird is sublime and Busy Doin' Nothin' is both charming in its mundanity and a fascinating insight into post-sandbox Brian.

On second thoughts, it's got Transendental Meditation on it.
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 11/20/2017 22:17
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Holland is about as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Carl & The Passions/So Tough is passable, then it's pretty much all downhill for me from there as they got Love'd. Picked up 15 Bigs Ones and Love You an age ago and couldn't wait to shift them on - bloody travesties both.

Always surprises me that the selections Friends tend to get bypassed by many. Then again it's such a beautiful record that it probably hangs together best as a collection of short tracks rather than having any stand-out moments, although Dennis' Little Bird is sublime and Busy Doin' Nothin' is both charming in its mundanity and a fascinating insight into post-sandbox Brian.

Completely with you on Friends. One of my absolute favourites but can't pick an obvious standout. Like you said it all holds together as one thing though. Yeah I could go with Transcendental Meditation too.

I can't really defend 15 big ones.Thouugh I really like the three tracks mentioned in this thread. Love you I admit is pretty damn strange. Probably the worst vocals and production on any Beach Boys album! I've got to stand by it though as I find it loveably odd and it's arguably their most coherent album as a whole after Pet Sounds and Friends.
Yann

France

• Posted: 11/20/2017 22:23
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

Friends is one of the most gentle album ever (along with Andromeda Height by Prefab Sprout)
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/24/2017 13:17
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:

I always thought the same thing. Holland is as far as I go with the Beach Boys. Until I found out that Good Timing was released in 1979, and I couldn't believe it. But as it turns out, they actually started recording it in the early seventies. Which would explain why its better then their other later stuff.
  • Visit poster's website