Oh see, an identity crisis!

View previous topic :: View next topic
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia

• Posted: 11/20/2017 08:54
  • Post subject: Oh see, an identity crisis!
So I just finished listening to an album released last Friday called Memory Of A Cut Off Head by OCS, who are actually Thee Oh Sees, who have recently had a name change and are now going by Oh Sees.
Do I (or another BEA user) enter this album under Thee Oh Sees, or OCS (or possibly even Oh Sees). I have seen a few places where this album is referred to as Oh Sees (fka Thee Oh Sees) 20th studio album, (including bandcamp) and the 5th under the moniker OCS. Wikipedia, where they are now found as Oh Sees, not Thee Oh Sees, includes this album in their discography. BEA does already have a page for OCS with one album registered.
Unsure of what to do I checked out the other time this has happened recently that I know of with Viet Cong and Preoccupations. Interestingly on BEA the band page for Preoccupations only includes the album Preoccupations, however it refers you to Viet Cong, which includes Cassette, Viet Cong AND Preoccupations.
Obviously John Dwyer did not take BEA and the associated difficulties that would ensue from a name change when he made these decisions. Laughing

p.s. I wholeheartedly enjoyed the mellow psych folk sound of this album.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 11/20/2017 12:51
  • Post subject: Re: Oh see, an identity crisis!
Hi, it's best to add the album using the name of the artist at the time they released the album, so if they were called OCS at the time they released the album, then that should be the name used for BEA.

However, it's also possible for 'OCS' to then be linked to their other aliases 'Oh Sees' and 'Thee Oh Sees', and I can make this change in the background so that all of their albums appear under the same moniker.

All of the albums for an artist will appear on the parent artist's page (which is normally the name of the active name if there have been multiple name variations - if that makes any sense) and that's meant to be the case for Viet Cong (but need to check into further).

I agree, people don't make it easy to cater for all possible situations and BEA probably doesn't handle things as cleanly as it should do...
  • Visit poster's website