What did you think of Pitchfork's Best of the 1960's list?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Viibes

• Posted: 11/21/2017 18:10
  • Post subject: What did you think of Pitchfork's Best of the 1960's list?
Link to the list: https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...the-1960s/

Personally, I didn't think it was very good. It was definitely better than their Best Albums of the 1970's list, but there are still quite a few things that I don't think many respected music critics would let slide by.

Firstly, I thought that "Sgt. Peppers" was too low in the rankings at 28. How? Personally, I think that it's he best album of the 60s. Even if someone doesn't agree with that or that it's the Beatles best (Abbey Road is a very close second for me), there is no way it isn't top ten. Also, I don't see how the White Album is their best, even if it is someone's favourite I don't think most people would say that it's their best or most important album. Abbey Road also got shafted at rank 16 when it's also an easy in at top five.

Secondly, there are other all-time classic albums that seem way too low. "The Doors" sits at 95. Zeppelin 1 is 72, I haven't listened to it but it seems like too important of an album to be that far down. "In the Court of the Crimson King" is at 56, people absolutely love that album like others would "Loveless" or ITAOTS which are both in the Best of the 90's top ten. "Rubber Soul" is an album I thought should at least be top 30 or 25, but instead is at 46. "Are You Experienced" is sitting at 39 when it should easily be top 15. Zeppelin 2 should have at least been in the top 15 albums as well but is ranked 37 instead. I felt "White Light/White Heat" should have been slightly higher than it is. There are other albums that I feel may also have been shafted, but that feeling is merely a hunch since I haven't listened to many albums from the decade yet.

As for the list as a whole, I think they may have tried too hard to include albums from genres that were no longer relevant by the end of the decade. Jazz is an incredibly important genre for music as a whole, but I can't think of anyone that still listens to it, no matter how good the albums from the 60s might have been. People are still listening to "Sgt. Peppers" everyday, so it doesn't make sense to me why "Wild in the Wind" is so high above it. Is Pitchfork just aiming to get easy clicks, or am I missing something?

Any thoughts on the list? I'd love to have a discussion about it, especially with any big fans of jazz that might be able to explain the significance of some of these highly ranked albums that I'm just not seeing. Happy typing!
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 11/21/2017 18:47
  • Post subject: Re: What did you think of Pitchfork's Best of the 1960's lis
Viibes wrote:
I haven't listened to many albums from the decade yet

Then how do you know any albums have been "shafted"?

Viibes wrote:
I can't think of anyone that still listens to [jazz]

Is... is this for real?

I'm rather confused by your thread tbh Think
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/21/2017 19:02
  • Post subject:
Pitchfork's 60's album list, second to maybe their 00's list, is their best and most interesting to date.

But yeah, nobody listens to jazz, yuck.

Also, this was brought up in our Pitchfork thread if you wanna dig it up.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2017 19:15
  • Post subject:
lists compiled thru votes from many contributors will not ever make sense when measured against an individual perspective. also jazz is great.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/21/2017 19:38
  • Post subject:
It’s one of the best lists I’ve seen on the 60’s from a mainstream music site.

Some records were a little low (In the Court of the Crimson King at #56?!), but when it comes to pop/rock I’m happy records like The Velvet Underground & Nico and Pet Sounds got the appreciation they deserve. I’m not the biggest fan of The Beatles, The Doors or Led Zeppelin anyways so after my preference their positions were alright. About the jazz thing: IMO the jazz of the 1960’s were on par with, if not better than the pop/rock (IMO A Love Supreme crushes any pop/rock record from that decade, and most other decades), and yes, I do still listen to it.

I don’t agree with everything on the list, but I thought it was pretty good, and I’m not much of a Pitchfork follower.

Though the top 10 wasn’t too bad, the rest of their 70’s list was really strange, and not good.
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/21/2017 19:38
  • Post subject:
Hey, even I listen to jazz now (keep it quiet though)...

There's nowt wrong with that list apart from the ridiculous lack of any Studio One LPs (any 60s list missing On Top by The Heptones needs to take a long hard look at itself). Aside from that it seems pretty solid, more than content with the top 2, and choc-full of variety. And this is coming from someone who normally won't touch P4K with a barge pole.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2017 19:58
  • Post subject:
Love seeing Love Supreme and In a Silent Way both in the top 10!

But the #1 choice? VU&Nico is one of those very rare albums ... that may be even more overrated than Sgt Pepper.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/21/2017 20:08
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Love seeing Love Supreme and In a Silent Way both in the top 10!

Totally
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2017 20:13
  • Post subject:
[quote="DJTommy"}IMO the jazz of the 1960’s were on par with, if not better than the pop/rock (IMO A Love Supreme crushes any pop/rock record from that decade, and most other decades), and yes, I do still listen to it.

[/quote]

A agree, especially with regard to the first part of the decade. As a general rule, around '67, the tide (for me) shifts from jazz to rock, but there are exceptions (In a Silent Way being chief among them). But with the likes of The Moody Blues, The Who, Stones, Airplane, King Crimson, etc hitting their stride, that begins the golden era of Rock, at a time when jazz was starting to fade a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/21/2017 21:04
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
DJTommy wrote:
IMO the jazz of the 1960’s were on par with, if not better than the pop/rock (IMO A Love Supreme crushes any pop/rock record from that decade, and most other decades), and yes, I do still listen to it.

A agree, especially with regard to the first part of the decade. As a general rule, around '67, the tide (for me) shifts from jazz to rock, but there are exceptions (In a Silent Way being chief among them). But with the likes of The Moody Blues, The Who, Stones, Airplane, King Crimson, etc hitting their stride, that begins the golden era of Rock, at a time when jazz was starting to fade a bit.

For sure. I think rock/pop first got really good around the time Pet Sounds was released and forever changed the genre(s). Up until that point jazz was the best music around, but would kinda fade away, though there are a couple of classics from the late 60’s-early 70’s. Nowadays jazz is kinda dead. Let’s be honest.