What did you think of Pitchfork's Best of the 1960's list?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2017 21:09
  • Post subject:
DJTommy wrote:
A agree, especially with regard to the first part of the decade. As a general rule, around '67, the tide (for me) shifts from jazz to rock, but there are exceptions (In a Silent Way being chief among them). But with the likes of The Moody Blues, The Who, Stones, Airplane, King Crimson, etc hitting their stride, that begins the golden era of Rock, at a time when jazz was starting to fade a bit.

For sure. I think rock/pop first got really good around the time Pet Sounds was released and forever changed the genre(s). Up until that point jazz was the best music around, but would kinda fade away, though there are a couple of clasics from the late 60’s-early 70’s. Nowadays jazz is kinda dead. Let’s be honest.[/quote]

for me, Jazz has made something of a comeback of late. My top 10s in recent years are sprinkled with jazz albums. Artists like Marcul Miller, Brad Mehldau, Henry Threadgill, Ambrose Akinmusire, and even some old heads like Pat Metheny and John Scofield are putting out some strong material.
  • Visit poster's website
DJTommy

• Posted: 11/21/2017 21:17
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
For sure. I think rock/pop first got really good around the time Pet Sounds was released and forever changed the genre(s). Up until that point jazz was the best music around, but would kinda fade away, though there are a couple of clasics from the late 60’s-early 70’s. Nowadays jazz is kinda dead. Let’s be honest.

for me, Jazz has made something of a comeback of late. My top 10s in recent years are sprinkled with jazz albums. Artists like Marcul Miller, Brad Mehldau, Henry Threadgill, Ambrose Akinmusire, and even some old heads like Pat Metheny and John Scofield are putting out some strong material.[/quote]

Sounds interesting. Might have to check ‘em out then.
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/21/2017 21:51
  • Post subject:
For me, the high placing of Wild Is The Wind is one of the best things about the Pitchfork list - one of my favourite albums of all time.

As a newcomer to jazz, I am still working through many of their picks from the list, since most of the jazz I have in my collection comes from the late 1950s.

So all in all I found it pretty refreshing.
boyd94

• Posted: 11/21/2017 22:01
  • Post subject:
Probably their best list to date. I'm glad they went with their own tastes than frontloading everything with the deified names of rock music and a few afterthoughts in jazz and soul.

Two highly-placed Nina Simone albums is bold but fair.

'Let It Bleed' is too high, I personally think all their albums except Exile are overrated by critics.

I'm surprised 'Astral Weeks' is only 24, that seems like an album P4K would stick in their top 10. 'Are You Experienced' is also surprising at 39 especially considering what ranks ahead of it. The Doors as well.

Beefheart bang in the middle is probably right. It's an album that defies accurate rating and ranking, and a collaborative list will contain lovers and haters.

Nice to see Stockhausen get a mention.

I don't think P4K like Zappa/MoI very much. Nothing in the 70s, and only coming in at 101 for the 60s.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2017 03:57
  • Post subject:
I didn't really look at it, but the video of the top 10 caught my eye. I agree on it except for I'd likely swap Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper and then then this instead of the Andy Warhol masterpiece at number 1:

The Velvet Underground by The Velvet Underground

Otherwise I like albums and pitchfork and scaruffi can suck it.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/22/2017 04:46
  • Post subject:
Though it has its share of odd placements and omissions, I do think it is pretty darn good for a music mag list. Looks like they have increased their knowledge and experience with some of the more creative and revolutionary artists of the period (especially Jazz). Thank god it wasn't Sgt Pepper at the top -- not that I would've cared either way -- but it's nice to see a mainstream music mag that isn't parroting ... well, mainstream music mags ... and that seems to have put in more effort to unearth 60s masterpieces that have been largely ignored, despite being far more creatively adventurous and emotionally resonant than anything The Beatles did imo. As for the #1, VU and Nico has proven (especially since the mid-70s) to be by far the most influential album of the 60's (and, really, the last half century), so it's a very fitting chart topper. And it doesn't hurt that it's a flat out masterpiece in addition to its innovation and cultural relevance.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/22/2017 04:52
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I didn't really look at it, but the video of the top 10 caught my eye. I agree on it except for I'd likely swap Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper and then then this instead of the Andy Warhol masterpiece at number 1:

Excellent album, but if you listen to Low's Trust enough to assimilate it, you will probably see how much better such music (or in a very similar vein, emotionally/conceptually/stylistically) can be done.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2017 05:01
  • Post subject:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Excellent album, but if you listen to Low's Trust enough to assimilate it, you will probably see how much better such music (or in a very similar vein, emotionally/conceptually/stylistically) can be done.

To clarify, you feel like Low's Trust does the style in the album pictured better? Haven't heard it so probably worth a gander.
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 11/22/2017 06:32
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

To clarify, you feel like Low's Trust does the style in the album pictured better? Haven't heard it so probably worth a gander.

Yes, it takes VU's early slow-core inclinations, its late night, nocturnal balladry and its solemn, hymn-like prayers/religious allusions to greater extent, emotional effect and to more profound depths. It is superior in every regard (imo), though has clear nods to its influence (as well as David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name, 70's Neil Young). It feels like the exhausting aftermath of a profoundly tragic event, an elongated, majestic, stately funeral/religious procession -- expressing undercurrents/allusions of an almost apocalyptic suspense at various points (John Prine and especially The Lamb, perhaps its ceremonial climax).
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2017 21:36
  • Post subject:
I thought it was pretty good actually. I used to wonder why 1960s lists we're always so similar to each other. Even on BEA I've noticed so many times how similar so many 60s charts are to mine. In contrast, my other decades charts are unbelievably different from everyone else's. I wondered if there was more of a consensus about 60s albums than any other decades albums. But then I remembered that there were relatively few albums even released in the 60s. And then in the 70s there was an explosion in the number of releases. And then Each decade after that, the number of albums released each decade quadrupled or something like that. So the reason is, there just wasn't that many to choose from. That's why they're all so similar.
  • Visit poster's website