Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/11/2017 15:49
  • Post subject: drakonium
Hi!

So I thought I'd as well post what I'm listening to here, to keep track of it (sort of), or at least not to let it drown in the abyss of the listening thread. Don't expect in-depth analysis or anything too wordy, mostly just feelings and annoying opinions on whatever I'm listening to atm. Feel free to throw any kind of recs at me (not too many of them though haha), or just say hi.

Hope you have a good time!
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/11/2017 16:06
  • Post subject:

Radio Moscow by Radio Moscow

So I just finished this, which I got from Gowi quite a long time ago and for no specific reason I can remember, but it was there and I thought why not. It's really cool garage punk / heavy psych from the 2000s, though it was not super memorable (at least on this second listen). Lots of energy though. Reminded me a lot of Blues Pills, so I checked out, and that band is where RM's former bassist is now playing, which makes a lot of sense. Will come back to it for sure. And now :

Saint-Saens: Carnival Of The Animals by Charles Dutoit

I'm at my school's library and they have a decent amount of CDs from a surprisingly large variety of genres (from Tom Waits to Shamir to La Femme to Sonny Rollins to christian music and so on). While passing by I spotted a Saint-Saëns one, and that immediately made the Danse Macabre pop into my head (which happens quite a lot anyway). The CD they had didn't have it so I thought I could find one by myself, and this one appeared to be one of the most popular, so here it goes. I've also meant to listen to the Carnaval des Animaux for quite some time now so really it was perfect.

I listen to practically no classical music (or anything related, for that matter), so this is quite a big change for me. I like it a lot, what he does with the various animals is pretty cool and interesting. Not very serious either, so relatively accessible. A few of the pieces are very well known, such as Aquarium, Cygne, and of the course the Finale which appears in the flamingo scene from Fantasia 2000. Awesome. The two following pieces were very enjoyable too. Not much to say about them. But now the Danse Macabre is strating, and it's hands down one of my favorite pieces of music ever so I'll just stop typing and get the goosebumps
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/11/2017 16:24
  • Post subject:

Tarika Blue by Tarika Blue

If I'm at the library, it's because I'm suppoed to work, and so far I've not done much, so I thought I'd just put a laid back jazz record from the 70s to get started. Features prominent sopran(in?)o saxophone parts, which is relatively unusual and very welcome. Overall it's really smooth, almost funky at times, with some songs having vocal parts. Very good and currently very fitting.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 16:27
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:

Tarika Blue by Tarika Blue

If I'm at the library, it's because I'm suppoed to work, and so far I've not done much, so I thought I'd just put a laid back jazz record from the 70s to get started. Features prominent sopran(in?)o saxophone parts, which is relatively unusual and very welcome. Overall it's really smooth, almost funky at times, with some songs having vocal parts. Very good and currently very fitting.

That looks like a compelling record to listen to that's up my alley.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/11/2017 17:17
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
That looks like a compelling record to listen to that's up my alley.

Well yes, definitely! It's both a pretty easy listen, and a rewarding one thanks to some interesting and unexpectedly heavy synth and guitar solos. Seems very much in sync with your chart as well.

Ocean Death by Baths

Not much time before I have to move so here goes an EP. Baths is one of my favorite artists and this is more of what he's good at doing, meaning gorgeous electronic pop music that manages to sound both cold/distant and warm/organic. Sort of like Four Tet in a way, though the music is very different, more electronic and pop-oriented, with a ot of vocal effects. It's great obviously, but his debut is the same type of material done much better IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2017 21:50
  • Post subject:
Loving this so far, Drak! Keep it up! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/12/2017 19:18
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Loving this so far, Drak! Keep it up! Very Happy

Thanks! Will try my best haha. Not much time to listen to / write about music today but I can squeeze this in :

Drift by Nosaj Thing

I had listened to it a few times about two years ago I think, and liked it a lot. I kinda forgot about it though, because I had it written down on a list of albums on a phone I lost... so when for some reason I remembered it the other day I immediately added it on my to-get-back-to-asap list. Well good thing I did because it's superb. I like that despite the fact that it's all instrumental, these aren't just beats, but real full-fledged songs. Very synth heavy, quite some distortion, but with some very melodic parts nonetheless. Fog and both of the Light tracks are my highlights so far, but I may forget some towards the end as, tbh, it's been so long I can't remember the tracks before listening to them... A lot of interesting textures anyway. Even the relatively uneventful 2222 is a very welcome space of calm before the last three tracks. Glad I had the chance to revisit this! It's night music though, don't even try to listen to this when it's sunny outside...

Edit : so the last three tracks are calmer, more ambiance-based than the rest of the record. Great way to end it.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/12/2017 21:23
  • Post subject:
Just finished these two very nice pieces :

Tragic Songs Of Life by The Louvin Brothers

I had originally found about them thanks to that guy who was called yourselfisntsteam (I think? or was it just yourself? or both? or none?) who had pretty interesting recs and tastes. Only listened to recently though, starting with Satan Is Real a few weeks ago, which I loved.

The story of the band has a pretty sad ending ; although both very religious, and despite their lyrics, one of the brothers, Ira, was like non-stop alcohol and women, which led the other one Charlie to put an end to the band. From Wikipedia : "[Ira] was married four times; his third wife Faye shot him four times in the chest and twice in the hand after he allegedly tried to strangle her with a telephone cord. Although seriously injured, he survived." Kinda serious stuff. Then he died in a car accident a few years later...

To almost get back to the music itself, Satan Is Real is actually a kind of meme thanks to its infamous album cover, which involves the brothers standing in front of a giant Satan statue with fire behind, the result being rather absurd. The music is great though, and The Rivers Of Jordan is one of the best songs I've recently discovered. About Tragic Songs Of Life, it's pretty much the same type of perfectly executed close harmony country music, but with lyrics focused on love and other various topics (such as killing his girlfriend...) instead of religion. So it's great.

African Dub Chapter Two by Joe Gibbs An...fessionals

A very nice dub album to chill out to. One of those records that makes for a perfect background, but which is actually good if you do listen to it. Pretty simple, nothing groundbreaking, but efficient at what it's doing. The previous one in the series was just as good, and I expect no less from the follow-up.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 12/13/2017 11:22
  • Post subject:

Gas Food Lodging by Green On Red

I think Gravity Talks is somewhere in my top 30 or something, really one of my favorite albums of all time, and this one is pretty close to being just as great. Here they moved from their psychedelic influences ; there's much less organ to be found on this record for example. They took a more classic alt rock / americana approach on this one, and although I prefer their earlier sound, I really like the fact that they were able to change while still making high quality music. The opener and Sixteen Ways are my favorite ones here, but the closer does an amazing job as well. The title track is apparently a bonus one (must have been a single or smth), but the fact that it's slightly inferior to the bulk of the album and that it feels kinda out of place after We Shall Overcome makes it really unnecessary IMO. But yeah fantastic record.

Last edited by drakonium on 12/27/2017 13:37; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/14/2017 18:17
  • Post subject:
I am trying the Tarika Blue album. And my god this is some divine stuff. Probably will have this in my greatest charts. Will get in the decade charts for the 70's as well as the year it came out. I thank you for this pick.
  • Visit poster's website