Nationality of artists?

View previous topic :: View next topic
RasmV

Denmark

• Posted: 12/12/2017 17:53
  • Post subject: Nationality of artists?
Hey

I've been wondering why artists from Northern Ireland like Two Door Cinema Club, Ash and Gary Moore has been given Irish nationality on this site, while fx Van Morrison has British nationality.

I think all artists from Northern Ireland should be set to United Kingdom rather than (Rep.) Ireland, right?

Another solution could be to add the possibility of setting artists nationality to Northern Irish, Scottish, Welsh and English instead of British.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 12/12/2017 18:11
  • Post subject:
Hi, all Northern Irish acts should be classed as UK. All Irish (Republic) acts should classed as Irish. If there are any artists that are not classed this way, they should be flagged to be corrected.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/12/2017 18:32
  • Post subject:
Woops, that'd be my bad on Two Door Cinema Club. Thought they were from Ireland (Republic).
  • Visit poster's website
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 01/17/2018 14:02
  • Post subject:
I'm gonna post it here, maybe there is no need to start another thread about artists/nationality.
Is Martial Solal French or Algerian?
according to wiki, allmusic and maybe discogs he's french:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_Solal
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/martial...0000310170
https://www.discogs.com/artist/212002-Martial-Solal
Algerian according to rym:
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/martial_solal

already added as duplicate:
Martial Solal
Martial Solal

and I actually have no idea, I added him as French but I can be totally wrong Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/17/2018 15:20
  • Post subject:
thanks pa. I've merged the two artists (the duplicate into the original). BEA uses the nationality of the solo artist (which is not always their country of birth), and so for the purposes of BEA he would be French.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 06/08/2018 14:45
  • Post subject:
I'm second-guessing myself here.

Say you have a musician that was born in Morocco but has been a citizen of Kenya for the past couple of decades. All of their recorded output was done while in Kenya; they are considered a staple in the Kenyan scene. Which nationality would you prefer we use?

Similarly, you have a group of mixed nationality musicians that have moved to UK. The group was formed in the UK and all of their recorded output has been done while living in the UK. The individual musicians have no prior recordings and have not recorded outside of the group. Which nationality would you prefer we use?

If one of those prior musicians began recording individually, their nationality become known, and they moved back to their nation, which nationality would you prefer we use for the musician and the group?

Lastly, how much faith do we want to put into RYM's database? Say I have a musician that I'm pretty sure is from Java, discogs says they're from Java, their personal website and their label's website only mention Java, their bandcamp only mentions Java, but RYM says they're from Bali. I don't have an account, so I can't see edits, or if those edits have source notes attached, but it seems a little strange to go against the grain in a situation like that and just parrot RYM's data.

Thank you for your thoughts.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/08/2018 15:41
  • Post subject:
Most of the time, the nationality of an artist is fairly obvious, but as you've brought up, there are edge cases where it becomes less so. The current help text for the nationality field is as follows:

Code:

1. Solo artists. An individual is deemed to be from one country if they were born and raised to adulthood in one country. There might be exceptions to this e.g. artists who released work during childhood while in one country, but later moved to another. These will be treated on a case by case basis. If you were born in one country and raised in another, you would be considered of the other nationality if you went to that country whilst still in infancy and then remained living in that country until adulthood. If you were born in one country and spent your childhood moving between different countries, then an artist is assigned 'Mixed Nationality' e.g. Rufus Wainwright.

2. Collaborations. If all artists in the collaboration are of the same nationality (as defined above), the collaboration is also assigned the same nationality. If any of the main performers (e.g. lead vocalist, lead guitarist etc) are of different nationality to the rest of the group (as defined above), the artist may be assigned 'Mixed Nationality'. If a minor performer within the collaboration is of different nationality, the artist as a whole could still be assigned the majority nationality (e.g. if the input of the 'minor' performer does not materially define the sound of the group as a whole).

So using your examples:
1. If the artist was born and spent most of their childhood in Morocco, they'd be Moroccan. If the artist is 25 years old and has spent 20 years in Kenya then I'd lean towards Kenya (if they are 35 years old having spent 20 years abroad then you could argue both ways and it may depend on other factors such as when they first start producing music etc). For consistency across the site we'd need to look at how other artists have been treated and use that as a precedent to tighten up the definitions and improve the help text.

2. A group of mixed nationality musicians would be classed as mixed nationality under the above rules. It doesn't matter where they reside, and an individual would use their own nationality independent of the group.

3. I think RYM's database is mostly reliable, but like all other websites isn't perfect as it's dependant on what users feed into it. Discogs data is generally more reliable than RYM as it is backed up physical releases and has tighter moderation controls, but Discogs is not perfect either. If there were multiple conflicting sources, I'd generally go with the majority view taking into account all of the relevant data (it's not always that clear cut). In your example, I'd probably go with Java.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 06/08/2018 17:02
  • Post subject:
Tiocfaidh ár lá
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 06/10/2018 12:13
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Tiocfaidh ár lá