2017 End Of Year Lists (post them)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
rkm

• Posted: 12/13/2017 01:03
  • Post subject: 2017 End Of Year Lists (post them)
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists...17-w511763
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 12/13/2017 01:04
  • Post subject:
https://www.allmusic.com/year-in-review...st-of-2017
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 01:17
  • Post subject:
Tabs Out
http://www.tabsout.com/?p=16684

The Quietus
http://thequietus.com/articles/23660-al...-year-2017
  • Visit poster's website
ShaneSpear
Thread Killah

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 03:24
  • Post subject:
Album of the Year has all the lists aggregated.

http://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2017/
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2017 16:23
  • Post subject:
One that hasn't popped up on aoty.org is Bandcamp's list (perhaps because it's still in progress).

60 films in, and it's fantastic.

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2017/12/13/t...s-of-2017/
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 18:55
  • Post subject:
Pitchfork's song and album lists are utter shite. Usually they're mediocre or occasionally interesting. This year? Oof.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2017 19:58
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:
Pitchfork's song and album lists are utter shite. Usually they're mediocre or occasionally interesting. This year? Oof.

Oh, right, this too.

Well, more than song list than album list (which isn't terrible, but just a tad dull). Their song list is really a mess, totally unlike anything they've put together in the past. Nothing terribly interesting to dig up, no pleasant shocks or surprise inclusions... also probably the first time their #1 is a song I not only don't like, but think is awful. I was so excited when I thought Tyler's 'See You Again' would be their #1, I kept looking out for it and it never showed up and I was all like ' Surprised ' but then I was like ' Confused '. Was expecting XO Tour Llif3, which has grown in me far more than I figured it would have.

I was hoping they'd put Melodrama at #1, but oh well... Kendrick three-peats. DAMN's still a fantastic record, but nowhere near his last 3. I still appreciate the back-to-basics idea, def a smart route to take after such a colossal release. It's just a smidge odd to see the top album (nearly everywhere, including here) technically a downgrade in that artist's discography, no matter how good it is.

Last edited by Hayden on 12/16/2017 09:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 12/13/2017 20:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Oh, right, this too.

Well, more than song list than album list (which isn't terrible, but just a tad dull). Their song list is really a mess, totally unlike anything they've put together in the past. Nothing terribly interesting to dig up, no pleasant shocks or surprise inclusions... also probably the first time their #1 is a song I not only don't like, but think is awful. I was so excited when I thought Tyler's 'See You Again' would be their #1, I kept looking out for it and it never showed up and I was all like ' Surprised ' but then I was like ' Confused '. Was expecting XO Tour 3life, which has grown in me far more than I figured it would have.

I was hoping they'd put Melodrama at #1, but oh well... Kendrick three-peats. DAMN's still a fantastic record, but nowhere near his last 3. I still appreciate the back-to-basics idea, def a smart route to take after such a colossal release. It's just a smidge odd to see the top album (nearly everywhere, including here) technically a downgrade in that artist's discography, no matter how good it is.

The albums list is just kinda boring. I did like seeing King Krule and Kelela as semi-outliers, but otherwise, it was pretty unremarkable. DAMN. is good, but its stripped down approach was hit and miss. I really thought they were gonna go with Melodrama, and would have been fine if SZA had taken #1, but whatever.

The song list is so fucking weird. "Bodak Yellow"? Really? Very few people share my taste in music around where I am, and nobody likes this basic-ass bore of a song. Their description makes no sense, either. "This song was the resistance." Was it though? Was it? Cardi B is number one, while BROCKHAMPTON is ignored almost wholesale. So weird.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/13/2017 21:41
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:

The song list is so fucking weird. "Bodak Yellow"? Really? Very few people share my taste in music around where I am, and nobody likes this basic-ass bore of a song. Their description makes no sense, either. "This song was the resistance." Was it though? Was it? Cardi B is number one, while BROCKHAMPTON is ignored almost wholesale. So weird.

I was a little late to the party on Bodak Yellow (think I only heard it a month ago), but yeah, it's an utter bore. There's nothing to it... it's a very bland beat with nothing lyrics and a structure that never goes anywhere. I'm lost on its appeal. I've only been able to actually finish it once, on repeat listens I can't find myself getting past the 2-minute mark. I think it's just dime-a-dozen hip-hop.

Like you said, something so brainless certainly can't fall under "emboldened many of the people—especially women of color—who were marginalized for the very things that anchor the Afro-Latina star’s impenetrable pride". I know I'm not the best demographic to respond to that, but how? Where?

Any given track off of Vince Staples' latest blows it out of the water, and that's not even in my top 5 hip-hop albums of the year. Yaeji's Drink I'm Sippin' On is miles ahead as well (as far as somewhat comparable tracks go).

"By now, the story of Cardi B’s rise is legend: A fed-up grocery store cashier quits her job to become a stripper, then parlays Vine and Instagram notoriety into reality TV stardom before achieving ubiquitous fame with her first single for a major label. Could there be a more modern depiction of the American Dream? That “Bodak Yellow” was the flash point makes the victory even sweeter: It’s full of charismatic bravado, endless flex, and abundant joy. Cardi’s cadence, inspired by Kodak Black’s “No Flockin,” is injected with her unfuckwithable energy, as authentic as it is contagious, igniting a blend of enraptured aggression and bona fide club hysteria." -

Like, that has to be the least appealing praise I have ever seen for any piece of music written this year.

Similarly opinionated about Future's Mask Off, which is sleep worthy. Even keeping in mind I've never been fond of him, I'm shocked to see that in their top 10. Also surprised their top pick for Lorde was Green Light (figured it'd be to unhip of a choice from them).

Ah well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ least they had a jazz track in their top 30. That's different. And opera if you consider Arca.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/22/2017 17:53
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:

Looks like the readers agree with us:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-an...ults-2017/
  • Visit poster's website