Miscellaneous Musical Meanderings

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:00
  • Post subject: Miscellaneous Musical Meanderings
This will be my more traditional music diary, as opposed to my other one here, which arguably isn't even a music diary.

But this one will be!

I have a bunch of ideas for overall diary subjects (or "themes") that I could use, and rather than stick to just one, I'm going to hop between them as I see fit.

Below is a list of all the themes I'm using so far:
    Golden Years

And their in-depth explanations:

Golden Years:
I have a list of all my favorite albums, ranked from #1 all the way to (currently) 721. Some years are very well represented (2006, for example, as well as the rest of the 2000s) and others are... not (including most of the 80s).

In the interest of branching out, I'd like to dive deeper into those years that I'm less familiar with. I have a method of determining the years I most need to take a closer look at (explained at the end of this section for those who care), so I'll start by picking the year my favorite albums list is most deficient in, and just listen to a bunch of albums from that year, hoping to find something new to love.

The group of albums I listen to for each year will be constructed using the following four categories:
1. The Core

2. Extension of the Core
    • The above websites' top 5 albums of that year that haven't been selected yet

3. My picks
    • At least 10 additional albums, including at least one of each of the following:
      o something unfamiliar from an artist I already like
      o something unfamiliar with appealing album art
      o something from a person of color or group of people of color
      o something from a woman or group of women
      o something in a foreign language
      o something from a foreign country other than the United Kingdom or Canada (can be in English)

4. Recommendations
    • Anyone who would like to can recommend at most two albums that haven't been selected yet

Once the group of albums has been selected, I'll go through the albums one by one in a random order and listen to them, give them a rating, and post a short write-up of my thoughts. Recommendations for albums of that year can be given at any time, until I finish that year and move on to another one.

I haven't yet solidly decided my policy on repeating years. I want to avoid it most of the time but allow it occasionally, as there are sure to be especially deep years that require further exploration. I think I'll allow a repeat year as every fifth year I visit, a third visit to a year every twentieth year, a fourth every sixtieth, a fifth only if there's no other choice that doesn't break the rules, and a sixth only as a complete reset of the entire process as long as every year has been visited.

Here's how I calculate the year I most need to explore more. Currently I have 721 albums on my favorites list, so I download BEA's overall chart and look at just the top 721 albums. I tally up the total chart points for each year, then substitute my albums in for BEA's top 721 and do the same thing (pretending my number one has the same number of points as OK Computer, my number two has the same number of points as The Dark Side of the Moon, and so on). Then I calculate the difference between each year, and of the years that have more points on BEA's chart than mine, the year with the greatest point difference between BEA's chart and mine is the one I most need to explore more.

Here's what my scores mean, if you're curious:
I've worked out my rating system from the starting point of a single principle that I think should be true of any rating system, no matter whose (this assumes ratings from zero to a hundred; adjust accordingly when using other numbers or stars or whatever). Everything that I've built on this principle is disputable, but the principle itself is the rock-solid foundation that I wouldn't dream of changing.

Here it is:
A score of 0 is the worst I can give, a score of 100 is the best I can give, and a score of 50 is neutral.

In the case of music, I like pretty much everything I ever listen to, so almost every music score I give is above 50. How much I like it determines how high above 50 I rate it. Most music falls into the 50s and 60s range, and anything above that is something I have a special connection with. Giving something a 100 means it is my absolute favorite thing ever, something I adore more than anything else. It doesn't mean it's flawless, just that I love it completely. My ratings are totally subjective. I have no interest in trying to rate stuff objectively, whatever that means anyway.

Here's a rough idea of what a given score means (scores below 50 are less worked out because they're much rarer, but they're pretty much a negative mirror of the top half):
100 – Favorite Ever
95 – A Favorite
90 – Essential
85 – Really Great
80 – Great
75 – Really Good
70 – Quite Good
65 – Solid
60 – Enjoyable
55 – All Right
50 – Neutral
40 – Kinda Bad
30 – Quite Bad
20 – Terrible
10 – Trash
0 – Worst Ever

Here's another way to think about it, clumping my scores into bigger categories:
90-100 – Favorites
78-89 – Love
66-77 – Like a Lot
55-65 – Like
46-54 – So-So
35-45 – Dislike
23-34 – Dislike a Lot
11-22 – Hate
0-10 – Most Hated

Here is a series of questions I ask myself to properly determine an album (or whatever)'s score (this is assuming the score is 50 or above; again, negative mirrored versions of these questions apply to negative scores):
1. Do I like it? If this is an easy yes, then whatever I'm rating will get at least a 60, and I move onto question two. If this is a no, I assign a score of at most 50 and ask myself the mirror questions. If the answer is somewhere between yes and no, then I gauge my level of enjoyment and assign an appropriate score between 50 and 60. For instance, if to the question I hesitantly answer, "Sort of...", the score will probably be in the 53-55 range. "For the most part" would get a score in the upper 50s. And so on. This same idea applies to all of the following questions as well.
2. Is it special? If yes, then the score is at least 70—move onto question three. If no, the score is 60. If between, then of course the score is between 60 and 70. What do I mean by special? I don't know, to be perfectly honest. What I'm asking myself here is whether the item in question has a certain... je ne sais quoi... that makes it stand out above the pack. This is entirely subjective, and has a lot to do with the relationship I have with said item. In fact, my scores can largely be interpreted as representations of relationships with what I'm rating—the higher the score, the stronger the relationship. I rarely give a score above 70 within the first several times I listen to an album. That connection has to build up over time.
3. Do I want it in my life regularly? "Yes" gets a score of at least 80 and goes to question four. Anything less than yes gets a lesser score, down to 70 for a no, of course. This question is a bit misleading, because what I'm asking myself here is more complicated, but the way I phrase it above is the best way I can boil it down to a simple one-liner. What I'm really asking is if I think of what I'm rating as part of who I am as a person. Will I think about it on a regular basis? In the case of music, will I sing or hum or whistle it all the time? Will I add it to playlist after playlist and want to keep coming back regardless of how many times I've already listened to it? That's what I'm asking.
4. Do I feel like I can't live without it? Yes: at least 90 and question five. No: 80. In between: in between. Now, I'm not ridiculous enough to think there's any music I truly can't live without. Even if my favorite stuff of all time disappeared completely and I never got to hear it again, I could live a full and complete life, no problem. But that's not what I'm asking here. The key word is "feel". Do I feel like I can't live without it? And there is indeed music for which the answer is yes. Stuff that feels essential to who I am, that I would fight mightily to keep in my life, if it came to that.
5. Is it my favorite ever? If I get this far, then whatever I'm rating is one of my all-time favorite things, and the score I give between 90 and 100 simply shows how it compares to my other all-time favorites. 100 is reserved for the best of the best of the best of the best. 99 is the second best of the best of the best of the best. And so it goes, roughly. If I have too many favorites then some of them will get the same score, but you get the idea.

It has taken me a lot of thought and a lot of time to build this system and feel comfortable with it, and while I'm sure it won't work for everyone, it works for me. Please feel free to ask questions if it's unclear, or criticize it if you think it has problems.

Last edited by Rhyner on 02/28/2018 04:10; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:11
  • Post subject:
Wow. This is almost scarily well thought out. Now I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. Laughing

Very cool approach, Rhyner!

I already celebrated Christmas (this past Sunday) so maybe I'll use that day to come up with sth similar. Think
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:16
  • Post subject: Golden Years #1: 1991
It turns out the year that BEA currently most values more than I do is 1991.

Here are the albums I'll be taking a look at from that year:
1. The Core
Achtung Baby by U2
Arise by Sepultura (50/100)
Ask The Ages by Sonny Sharrock
August End by Jon Schmidt
Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden
Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub
Blood Sugar Sex Magik by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Blue Lines by Massive Attack
Anton Webern: Complete Works Opp 1-31 by Pierre Boulez
Dangerous by Michael Jackson
De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul
Death Certificate by Ice Cube
Gish by The Smashing Pumpkins
Human by Death (Metal)
Innuendo by Queen
Laughing Stock by Talk Talk (67/100)
Like An Ever Flowing Stream by Dismember
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine
Mental Funeral by Autopsy
Mental Vortex by Coroner (49/100)
Metallica by Metallica
Mr. Bungle by Mr. Bungle
Necroticism: Descanting The Insalubrious by Carcass
Nevermind by Nirvana
Out Of Time by R.E.M. (61/100)
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese by Primus
Screamadelica by Primal Scream (50/100)
Spiderland by Slint (65/100)
Temple Of The Dog by Temple Of The Dog
Ten by Pearl Jam
The Ghosts That Haunt Me by Crash Test Dummies
The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld by The Orb
The White Room by The KLF (55/100)
Trompe Le Monde by Pixies
Unquestionable Presence by Atheist (51/100)
Use Your Illusion I by Guns N' Roses
Use Your Illusion II by Guns N' Roses (53/100)
White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity by Swans
Woodface by Crowded House (61/100)
Yerself Is Steam by Mercury Rev

2. Extension of the Core
Blessed Are The Sick by Morbid Angel
Clandestine by Entombed
Cypress Hill by Cypress Hill (54/100)
Foxbase Alpha by Saint Etienne
Frequencies by LFO
Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet
Goat by The Jesus Lizard
Green Mind by Dinosaur Jr.
Innovator (Soundtrack For The Tenth Pla...errick May
Just For A Day by Slowdive
Rothko Chapel ; Why Patterns? by Morton Feldman
Weld by Neil Young And Crazy Horse (59/100)

3. My picks
24 Years Of Hunger by Eg And Alice (64/100)
'77 Live by Les Rallizes Dénudés (54/100)
Amen by Salif Keita
Bodun (Hangover) by АукцЫон [Auktyon]
Breaking Atoms by Main Source
Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain by Dogbowl (58/100)
Diamonds And Pearls by Prince & The...Generation (57/100)
Electronic by Electronic
Greatest Hits II by Queen
I'm Your Fan: The Songs Of Leonard Cohe...us Artists
Leisure by Blur
Mad Mad World by Tom Cochrane
New River Head by The Bevis Frond (49/100)
Night Ride Home by Joni Mitchell
Ropin' The Wind by Garth Brooks
Seal by Seal
Shepherd Moons by Enya
Slow, Deep & Hard by Type O Negative
Step In The Arena by Gang Starr
The Bootleg Series Vols. 1–3 (Rare &a... Bob Dylan
The Pod by Ween (51/100)
These Days by The Grapes Of Wrath (60/100)
Tin Machine II by Tin Machine
We Can't Dance by Genesis

4. Recommendations
Ascension by The Aints (dihansse)
Beat Songs by The Blue Aeroplanes (dihansse)
Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe by Lloyd Cole (Tilly)
Heavenly Vs. Satan by Heavenly (baystateoftheart)
III by Sebadoh (Tilly) (54/100)
Still Feel Gone by Uncle Tupelo (baystateoftheart)

83 albums so far!
I'll update recommendations as I receive them, and I'll add scores on a 0-100 scale as I listen to each album.

Here's my 1991 top 10 from this project so far:
1. Laughing Stock by Talk Talk (67/100)
2. Spiderland by Slint (65/100)
3. 24 Years Of Hunger by Eg And Alice (64/100)
4. Out Of Time by R.E.M. (61/100)
5. Woodface by Crowded House (61/100)
6. These Days by The Grapes Of Wrath (60/100)
7. Weld by Neil Young And Crazy Horse (59/100)
8. Cyclops Nuclear Submarine Captain by Dogbowl (58/100)
9. Diamonds And Pearls by Prince & The...Generation (57/100)
10. The White Room by The KLF (55/100)

Last edited by Rhyner on 08/10/2018 19:39; edited 28 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:45
  • Post subject:
My first rec for 1991 is a lo fi classic and arguably Sebadoh's best...

III by Sebadoh

Definitely one of the most important releases of 1991 imo
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:52
  • Post subject:
Cool diary concept! I recommend this for some great twee:

Heavenly Vs. Satan by Heavenly

And this for some great alt-country:

Still Feel Gone by Uncle Tupelo
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 12/19/2017 23:53
  • Post subject:
Did someone say 90s?

76:14 by Global Communication

One of my favorite late night records, and I'm a late night apprentice samurai, so I can guarantee you will find yourself immerse in this as the clock ticks.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2017 00:06
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
Did someone say 90s?

76:14 by Global Communication

One of my favorite late night records, and I'm a late night apprentice samurai, so I can guarantee you will find yourself immerse in this as the clock ticks.

lol. Wrong year, Pedro! It's for 1991. Read the post, dammit! Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 12/20/2017 00:14
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
lol. Wrong year, Pedro! It's for 1991. Read the post, dammit! Razz

Oh 1991?
you mean that year
when MBV broguth loveless to us mere mortals
actually I thought it was 1996 But if you think about it It might be closer than you think to that year is that a fox on the rooftop?
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2017 01:43
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
Oh 1991?
you mean that year
when MBV broguth loveless to us mere mortals
actually I thought it was 1996 But if you think about it It might be closer than you think to that year is that a fox on the rooftop?

This comment gave me a good giggle.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2017 14:45
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Antonio-Pedro, I'll be sure to check out that album when I get to 1994. Meanwhile do you have any 1991 recs?

Tilly wrote:
Wow. This is almost scarily well thought out. Now I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing. Laughing

Very cool approach, Rhyner!

I already celebrated Christmas (this past Sunday) so maybe I'll use that day to come up with sth similar. Think

Thanks for the kind words, but I don't feel like I know what I'm doing either, however well thought out my approach may seem. Anxious
  • Visit poster's website