Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/31/2017 14:42
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Btw and just an aside, I suppose some of you might know the Belgian band K's Choice, especially from their hit Not an Addict. The core of the band are the brother and sister Bettens and the brother is also the leader from a really good powerpop band Woodface and of course the name of this band is taken from this album. Worth to be checked out as well.

Never heard of them! Wink

What a disappointment Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 16:50
  • Post subject:
[quote="dihansse"][quote="Romanelli"]
Tilly wrote:
Rhyner wrote:

Woodface by Crowded House
Pretty good. I like the guitar on Weather with You. That song and Four Seasons in One Day are probably my favorites on the album.

Score: 61/100

oh cool. I always wanted to check out Crowded House. I always thought they were far too poppy back in '91. What's it like? I suppose a 61 isn't a very good score. Think

I don't understand why people prefer Crowded House to Split Enz. I never heard anything Crowded House did that comes close to the best songs by split enz. Not one song they did is as good as Sandy Allen or I Got You or Six Months in a Leaky Boat. Not one song I heard by them sticks in your memory like the other ones did. For me anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:29
  • Post subject:
[quote="bobbyb5"][quote="dihansse"]
Romanelli wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Rhyner wrote:

Pretty good. I like the guitar on Weather with You. That song and Four Seasons in One Day are probably my favorites on the album.

oh cool. I always wanted to check out Crowded House. I always thought they were far too poppy back in '91. What's it like? I suppose a 61 isn't a very good score. Think

I don't understand why people prefer Crowded House to Split Enz. I never heard anything Crowded House did that comes close to the best songs by split enz. Not one song they did is as good as Sandy Allen or I Got You or Six Months in a Leaky Boat. Not one song I heard by them sticks in your memory like the other ones did. For me anyway.

I admit that I haven't invested deeply in going through the discography of Split Enz but I do know I Got You and I Hope I Never which were hot on college radio in Belgium at the time. To me they are very good new wave songs but I never saw Split Enz as an album band and I certainly want to investigate their albums to see if I'm wrong.
What I like about Crowded House is the perfect harmonies between the voices of Neil and Tim Finn which (but correct me if I'm wrong) were not yet present on the earlier Split Enz albums.
In short I suppose that Split Enz remained very much a local Australian band while Crowded House went international very quick.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 17:49
  • Post subject:
[quote="dihansse"][quote="bobbyb5"]
dihansse wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
Tilly wrote:
Rhyner wrote:

I admit that I haven't invested deeply in going through the discography of Split Enz but I do know I Got You and I Hope I Never which were hot on college radio in Belgium at the time. To me they are very good new wave songs but I never saw Split Enz as an album band and I certainly want to investigate their albums to see if I'm wrong.
What I like about Crowded House is the perfect harmonies between the voices of Neil and Tim Finn which (but correct me if I'm wrong) were not yet present on the earlier Split Enz albums.
In short I suppose that Split Enz remained very much a local Australian band while Crowded House went international very quick.

Split Enz were a pretty big hit internationally. They had a couple hits here in the States and even more in Canada. And the album with I Got You was pretty big also. With good reason. It was a great album. When I was a kid they played split enz on the radio all the time. That's why I know those songs. From the radio.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 21:59
  • Post subject:
Earth to Rhyner. Come in Rhyner. Can u hear me?
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 04:05
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
Earth to Rhyner. Come in Rhyner. Can u hear me?

Yeahhh..... I'm still alive. I'm apparently not so good at this whole music diary thing. I mean, I listen to the music. Easy peasy. I enjoy that part. But writing up some thoughts on what I listen to is just so damn hard for some reason. Perhaps it's because I don't really think about the music I listen to. That is to say, what I enjoy about the act of listening to music doesn't involve any conscious analysis of said music. I just listen to it... and I like it or not. That's it. The whole process circumvents conscious thought, so applying conscious thought to the process feels unnatural and difficult. It's a muscle I definitely need to exercise, so thanks for the prod. I am currently listening to Arise by Sepultura for the third time, and I'll have some kind of write-up for it shortly after finishing it.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 04:31
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
Yeahhh..... I'm still alive. I'm apparently not so good at this whole music diary thing. I mean, I listen to the music. Easy peasy. I enjoy that part. But writing up some thoughts on what I listen to is just so damn hard for some reason. Perhaps it's because I don't really think about the music I listen to. That is to say, what I enjoy about the act of listening to music doesn't involve any conscious analysis of said music. I just listen to it... and I like it or not. That's it. The whole process circumvents conscious thought, so applying conscious thought to the process feels unnatural and difficult. It's a muscle I definitely need to exercise, so thanks for the prod. I am currently listening to Arise by Sepultura for the third time, and I'll have some kind of write-up for it shortly after finishing it.

I honestly would not change a thing if I were you. We should all try to think less & just be. So keep up the good work. For now on, I'm going to try to think less too! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 01/19/2018 04:39
  • Post subject: Golden Years #1: 1991
Tilly wrote:
I honestly would not change a thing if I were you. We should all try to think less & just be. So keep up the good work. For now on, I'm going to try to think less too! Very Happy

Well, you say that, but I truly do admire how you and the others on these forums can articulate how you feel about the music you like. It seems to me to be a skill well worth having. Maybe this is a case of "the grass is always greener"?

Anyway, here are some of my forced and unnatural thoughts about another 1991 album:

Arise by Sepultura

This is the first time I've heard this one. I listened to it three times.

I am unquestionably a pleb when it comes to metal, so my opinion counts for nothing, but this album and Unquestionable Presence seem pretty much interchangeable to me. Not that they sound the same, necessarily (but not that they don't either, because, I mean, they do, at least in pretty much all the ways that matter to me personally). They're interchangeable in that both provide scream-growled non-melodic unintelligible lyrics over the top of allegedly impressive metal guitar riffs. It's not a bad way to pass some time. I even find myself nodding my head to the beat now and then. But ultimately nothing really stands out and no part of it is very memorable. Unquestionable Presence was a smidge more impactful, I think, so I think that means Arise deserves the ultimate "meh" score:

50/100

Right down the middle. I didn't like it and I didn't dislike it.

Next up: The White Room by The KLF
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2018 21:12
  • Post subject: Golden Years #1: 1991

The White Room by The KLF

The White Room is pleasant enough, but doesn't have anything special going for it. I prefer Chill Out, which was probably my favorite of the albums I was introduced to during the Best Ever Techno & House tournament that was going on a while back (and never finished; I suppose it's dead now?).

Yeah, I don't know what else to say. It's all right, but for the most part quite forgettable.

Score: 55/100

Next up: III by Sebadoh
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2018 23:15
  • Post subject: Re: Golden Years #1: 1991
Rhyner wrote:

The White Room by The KLF

The White Room is pleasant enough, but doesn't have anything special going for it. I prefer Chill Out, which was probably my favorite of the albums I was introduced to during the Best Ever Techno & House tournament that was going on a while back (and never finished; I suppose it's dead now?).

Yeah, I don't know what else to say. It's all right, but for the most part quite forgettable.

Score: 55/100

Yeah. i didn't bother putting this one in my rather overstuffed 1991 queue. I owned this back in 1991 and never really took to it either. Unlike the next album you'll be taking about. lol. That reminds me. I still owe u a rec. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website