Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 02/02/2018 21:30
  • Post subject: Golden Years #1: 1991

III by Sebadoh

This is the first time I've heard this one. I listened to it three times.

Sorry Tilly. I didn't spark to this one as much as I had hoped I would. It all blurs together. Not much stands out.

Pavement and Guided by Voices have never quite clicked for me either. My biggest problem with them (and this album) is that they tend to lack a...I don't know, a certain...punch...or something. They sound like you're hearing them through a wall, like they weren't properly recorded. I realize that's the whole lo-fi sound, so maybe this lo-fi stuff just isn't for me.

The other big problem with this album is that it goes on too long. I'm pretty much on board with it until about halfway through, and that's when it all starts to sound the same to me (until the last track, that is, which certainly sounds different but also goes on too long). I'm sure that's just my lack of stamina in effect, but I do think it could have benefited from losing a few of the weakest tracks.

Overall it's all right, but a bit underwhelming in quality and a bit overwhelming in quantity.

Score: 54/100

Next up: 24 Years Of Hunger by Eg And Alice
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2018 22:43

24 Years Of Hunger by Eg And Alice

I liked this one. Thoroughly pleasant, nice, chill soft rock type stuff. Well, I say "thoroughly pleasant", but the the third track, Mystery Man, has a ringing phone sound. I hate that in music. That and (when I'm driving) police sirens. Other than that, though, quite nice.

It definitely has the potential to grow on me.

Favorite tracks: Rockets, Indian

Score: 64/100

Next up: These Days by The Grapes Of Wrath
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2018 23:04
  • Post subject: Re: Golden Years #1: 1991
Rhyner wrote:

III by Sebadoh

Sorry Tilly. I didn't spark to this one as much as I had hoped I would. It all blurs together. Not much stands out.

Pavement and Guided by Voices have never quite clicked for me either. My biggest problem with them (and this album) is that they tend to lack a...I don't know, a certain...punch...or something. They sound like you're hearing them through a wall, like they weren't properly recorded. I realize that's the whole lo-fi sound, so maybe this lo-fi stuff just isn't for me.

The other big problem with this album is that it goes on too long. I'm pretty much on board with it until about halfway through, and that's when it all starts to sound the same to me (until the last track, that is, which certainly sounds different but also goes on too long). I'm sure that's just my lack of stamina in effect, but I do think it could have benefited from losing a few of the weakest tracks.

Overall it's all right, but a bit underwhelming in quality and a bit overwhelming in quantity.

Crying or Very sad

ok, I think I'm getting the feeling for your tastes just a bit more. Try this for my second rec...

Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe by Lloyd Cole
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2018 23:12
Rhyner wrote:

24 Years Of Hunger by Eg And Alice

I liked this one. Thoroughly pleasant, nice, chill soft rock type stuff. Well, I say "thoroughly pleasant", but the the third track, Mystery Man, has a ringing phone sound. I hate that in music. That and (when I'm driving) police sirens. Other than that, though, quite nice.

It definitely has the potential to grow on me.

Favorite tracks: Rockets, Indian

Score: 64/100

Next up: These Days by The Grapes Of Wrath

Hmmm... Never even heard of this one! How'd you pick this one, again? Seems pretty left field.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 02:33
Tilly wrote:
ok, I think I'm getting the feeling for your tastes just a bit more. Try this for my second rec...

Don't Get Weird On Me, Babe by Lloyd Cole

It's now on the list. It looks promising, based on your write-up.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/09/2018 02:59
Tilly wrote:
Hmmm... Never even heard of this one! How'd you pick this one, again? Seems pretty left field.

I put every 1991 album I have on my computer on the list, and it was on my computer, so it went on the list. The question then becomes: why was it on my computer? And I wasn't sure of the answer to that, so I did some sleuthing.

The folder containing the mp3 files was created in September of 2015 (the files themselves are from that February), so I've had the album a few years. I see that it's #2 on mostlymor's overall list, and mostlymor himself is ranked 8th on the Top members page. A few years ago I downloaded and consolidated the top 100 users' overall lists into a single excel file in order to generate album recommendations. So I went and found that file, and it turns out it was also created in September 2015. And apparently, back then, mostlymor actually had 24 Years of Hunger as his #1 (and he was only ranked 12th). I now remember that I downloaded the top album in each of those lists. I see several other similarly "left field" albums as some of the other lists' #1s, and I have each one on my computer as well. I really should get around to listening to all of them one of these days.

But anyway, that's the ultimate cause. I picked that album because back in September 2015, mostlymor had it as #1 on his overall list.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2018 03:20

These Days by The Grapes Of Wrath

This is the first time I've heard this one in full, though I had already heard a couple of songs a bunch of times each. I listened to it three times.

Back in the day, my brother used to download lots of music using LimeWire. Most of the time he wasn't looking for anything in particular, but rather would search for random words and download whatever came up. We found Modest Mouse through the song Paper Thin Walls by searching for "paper". "Bowl" introduced us to one of my personal favorite bands, Bright Eyes, through Bowl of Oranges. And I'm pretty sure it was "grapes" that led us to The Grapes of Wrath. Most of the music we found this way had no lasting impact, but I liked The Grapes of Wrath well enough that this one time when I burned a CD consisting solely of Canadian music, The Grapes of Wrath ended up with a full four tracks, where no other artist had more than one.

(Side note: One of the other songs was called The Fool Has Parted, by the band Uisce Beatha. I remember really loving that one. If anyone knows where I can listen to it again, I'd appreciate that information.)

The four Grapes of Wrath songs were: All the Things I Wasn't, What Was Going Through My Head, You May Be Right, and I Am Here. The latter two are from this album. I listened to that Canada music CD all the time, so hearing those songs again after all these years triggered some serious nostalgia. Aside from that, this album's all right. Nothing too special, but pretty good. Sort of a poor man's R.E.M., I suppose.

Favorite tracks: obviously You May Be Right and I Am Here, but other than those two I liked Now the most

Score: 60/100

Next up: Cypress Hill by Cypress Hill
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2018 03:55

Cypress Hill by Cypress Hill

I've heard this one before, probably two or three times. I listened to it three more times.

It's all right. Some of the hooks are pretty catchy. However, just like almost every other album I haven't taken a particular shine to, it goes on too long for my taste.

Next up: Spiderland by Slint
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2018 17:24

Spiderland by Slint

I've heard this one before, probably two or three times. I listened to it three more times.

I like it. The album as a whole has a good atmosphere, but the spoken word lyrics don't totally work for me, and the weaker tracks (For Dinner... and Don, Aman) drag things down a little. But just a little; this thing is solid. I've been getting more into post-rock over the past year or so, and I could see this one really growing on me with more familiarity.

Favorite tracks: Washer, Nosferatu Man, Good Morning, Captain

Score: 65/100

Next up: The Pod by Ween
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 18:38

The Pod by Ween

Meh. I like The Mollusk (for the most part), but I haven't been able to get into anything else Ween has done. This one's no different. For most of the album, it sounds like they're just messing around. A huge portion of this album is uninteresting filler. There are occasional hints of something better, but they're few and far between in this seventy six minute behemoth. I know these guys can write good songs. I wish it happened more often.

Score: 51/100

Next up: Diamonds And Pearls by Prince & The...Generation
  • Visit poster's website