Grogg listens to music

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2017 16:06
  • Post subject: Grogg listens to music
It's the eve of a new year, so I'm going to give this listening log thing a shot.

Goodfellas (Soundtrack) by Various Artists

Someone over at the Hoffman forums mentioned Stardust in a post and my brain went straight to this. Scorsese has made his bones by incorporating music into his movies, but never was the connection as strong as this iconic soundtrack. If you don't associate a pink cadillac with the outro to Layla I'm not sure we can be friends.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2017 17:58
  • Post subject:

Is This It by The Strokes

Best album of 2001? I was 18 and listened to this pretty much constantly.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/24/2017 18:12
  • Post subject:

The Nashville Sound by Jason Isbell And The 400 Unit

Don't know if this is the best of 2017, but it's the album I've listened to the most so far.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2017 06:15
  • Post subject:

Calendar Girl by Julie London

First time hearing Julie. What a voice. What a cover. Wow.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2017 07:19
  • Post subject:

Julie Is Her Name by Julie London

This is the female Frank Sinatra and I'd never heard any of her work until tonight. The arrangements here are top notch.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2017 07:39
  • Post subject:

What Is There To Say? by Gerry Mulligan Quartet

Keeping the late night vibes going with Gerry Mulligan's best work. I played bari sax for a few years and achieving a seamless interplay with a trumpet (the legendary Art Farmer) is no small task. The standout track to see what I'm talking about is Festive Minor. Understated muted Farmer with a walking bass line and Mulligan weaving in and out, light as a feather.

https://open.spotify.com/track/33qwVXm1kaZQjzBfg01K73
  • Visit poster's website
FelixC

• Posted: 12/25/2017 08:02
  • Post subject:
grogg wrote:

This is the female Frank Sinatra and I'd never heard any of her work until tonight. The arrangements here are top notch.

I've got 2 Julie Londons. A Greatest Hits and Around Midnight. Is Cry Me a River on any of these albums you listened to? That was her big hit, and now of course its a standard. Did you know she was the star of the 1970s TV show "Emergency"? Anyone over 40 like me knew and loved this show. Especially teenage boys. It was a long-running hit show that was on almost the entire seventies. Julie London played "Nurse Dixie". And she was still beautiful in the 70s. And her real life husband was her co-star on the show and he was also a former singer from the 50s.
FelixC

• Posted: 12/25/2017 08:04
  • Post subject:

Around Midnight by Julie London
grogg

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2017 13:53
  • Post subject:
FelixC wrote:
grogg wrote:

I've got 2 Julie Londons. A Greatest Hits and Around Midnight. Is Cry Me a River on any of these albums you listened to? That was her big hit, and now of course its a standard. Did you know she was the star of the 1970s TV show "Emergency"? Anyone over 40 like me knew and loved this show. Especially teenage boys. It was a long-running hit show that was on almost the entire seventies. Julie London played "Nurse Dixie". And she was still beautiful in the 70s. And her real life husband was her co-star on the show and he was also a former singer from the 50s.

Yes, it's the opening song on Julie Is Her Name. I mentioned the arrangements, but I didn't find out until after listening that it was Barney Kessel on guitar. I'm quite familiar with him from his work with Oscar Peterson and Shelly Manne. I haven't seen "Emergency" but I'll probably give it a look once we get home from our holiday trip. Thank you for the information.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/25/2017 14:19
  • Post subject:
grogg wrote:
FelixC wrote:
grogg wrote:

Yes, it's the opening song on Julie Is Her Name. I mentioned the arrangements, but I didn't find out until after listening that it was Barney Kessel on guitar. I'm quite familiar with him from his work with Oscar Peterson and Shelly Manne. I haven't seen "Emergency" but I'll probably give it a look once we get home from our holiday trip. Thank you for the information.

Emergency is still on every fucking day. They show it on all those TV channels that play oldies TV shows. Whenever I'm home I watch it. It's about fireman and rescue workers and shit. It was all the rage in the 70s. LMAO
  • Visit poster's website