Your own top 2017 albums & overall thoughts for 2017

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Nyoink77

Greece

• Posted: 12/27/2017 17:04
  • Post subject: Your own top 2017 albums & overall thoughts for 2017
Checking in besteveralbums for ''objectively'' the best albums of 2017 is one thing, discussing about your own personal findings/experiences/underground gems is another. Share your overall thoughts on 2017 as far as music goes, as well!

Please notify me if there is a similar thread.
  • Visit poster's website
benschrier00

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2017 18:09
  • Post subject:
I think this year was full of a lot of disappointments as well as surprises. A lot of indie artists came through with albums that I was really looking forward to but then turned out kinda mediocre (Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Slowdive) if not bad (Gorillaz, Weezer). But some turned out well, like Father John Misty, The War on Drugs, Grizzly Bear, or even The National. I think Kendrick lived up to the hype, and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard had Flying Microtonal Banana so I can say i liked at least one of their four (five?) records this year. But I think some of the biggest highlights of the year have come from smaller artists, the biggest movement this year imo being Brockhampton's Saturation trilogy. The new Mount Eerie is beautifully depressing, Cigarettes After Sex is just beautiful overall, and I actually thought the new GY!BE album was pretty ok. I also really enjoyed the new Alvvays album, as well as the debut from this super small group called Cruel Tie based in Russia, of which the opening song has probably been stuck in my head for six months now. Plus Tame Impala released three b-sides from Currents that basically made me revisit the whole album again. The year has not been what I expected, but regardless, I think a lot of great material has come out.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2017 19:06
  • Post subject:
benschrier00 wrote:
I think this year was full of a lot of disappointments as well as surprises. A lot of indie artists came through with albums that I was really looking forward to but then turned out kinda mediocre (Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Slowdive) if not bad (Gorillaz, Weezer). But some turned out well, like Father John Misty, The War on Drugs, Grizzly Bear, or even The National. I think Kendrick lived up to the hype, and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard had Flying Microtonal Banana so I can say i liked at least one of their four (five?) records this year. But I think some of the biggest highlights of the year have come from smaller artists, the biggest movement this year imo being Brockhampton's Saturation trilogy. The new Mount Eerie is beautifully depressing, Cigarettes After Sex is just beautiful overall, and I actually thought the new GY!BE album was pretty ok. I also really enjoyed the new Alvvays album, as well as the debut from this super small group called Cruel Tie based in Russia, of which the opening song has probably been stuck in my head for six months now. Plus Tame Impala released three b-sides from Currents that basically made me revisit the whole album again. The year has not been what I expected, but regardless, I think a lot of great material has come out.

Nice synopsis of the year! thanks!
  • Visit poster's website
Nyoink77

Greece

• Posted: 12/27/2017 19:42
  • Post subject:
I see, your answer is exactly what I had in mind. A mixed year with many hit or miss albums, making it less consistent than other years, let's say 2015 (that's my own opinion, I bet and hope some other users disagree with me). Mount Eerie, Father John Misty and King Gizzard did splendid jobs, I agree. I'd like to hear more opinions, I am going to checks some other albums you mentioned, I am grateful for that.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 12/27/2017 23:21
  • Post subject:
Definitely quite a few disappointments regarding releases I'd been anticipating. Fever Ray's self titled is one of the best things I've ever heard. I listened to her new one a couple of times, and I probably won't be revisiting it again.

Not all disappointments though! I may have enjoyed Broken Social Scene's Hug Of Thunder more than You Forgot It In People, which was already an all-time favourite. Kelela also kicked it out of the park with her first full length LP, giving FKA Twigs a serious run for her money. I feel like a broken record mentioning Deerhoof since they keep churning out new material and all of it is constantly great, but their latest involved collaborations with Juana Molina, Matana Roberts, and a whole bunch of cool people. Speaking of: Juana Molina also made maybe her best album this year. Milo too, come to think of it.

IDLES was my best new discovery. Can't think of many others though, I wasn't paying much attention this year.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 12/28/2017 06:14
  • Post subject:
I can't say that I had any particular expectations about 2017 to pleased with or disappointed about. A couple of years ago I found that I didn't really feel connected to any new music that was happening. It was easy to believe that music was dead, or rubbish. After all, the music industry isn't exactly thriving.

The truth was that I'd stopped consuming music via the traditional methods (radio etc.), but had done nothing to seek out new music myself, short of the odd recommendation from a friend.

This year I've probably listened to more new music than any other year. I've religiously trawled through reviews of new releases every Friday and listened to all sorts of new stuff. I've probably listened to 200 albums from 2017.

The wash up is that there's plenty of great new music, and many of my favourite things rank very low on BEA. My tastes are probably slightly broader than they were, but then again much the same as they've always been. About a third of the albums on my list are by artists that I didn't know about before, and I wouldn't have discovered them if I didn't out some work in.

I think it's very difficult to make generalised comments about music in 2017, because there is so little common-cultural-ground. We experience everything on demand as individuals, and share very little. Everything is more and more subjective and disconnected.

I have a personal limit I've set, of not letting my year lists exceed 35. My reasoning is that I want to listen to the music enough to have a personal connection to it. An important function of music for me, is attaching memory to it. This means that I've ditched a lot of good music that I've liked, in favour of music that I like slightly better.

1. Slowmotionary - Ethan Gruska
2. Semper Femina - Laura Marling
3. Prisoner - Ryan Adams
4. Crack-Up - Fleet Foxes
5. A Deeper Understanding - The War On Drugs
6. Little Fictions - Elbow
7. MASSEDUCTION - St. Vincent
8. The Way Is Read - The Staves & YMusic
9. The Search For Everything - John Mayer
10. Songs Of Experience - U2
11. Go Farther In Lightness - Gang Of Youths
12. Chronicles Of The Great Irish Famine - Declan O'Rourke
13. Carry Fire - Robert Plant
14. You Don't Own Me Anymore - The Secret Sisters
15. Out Of Silence - Neil Finn
16. Shade - Living Colour
17. Prometheus & Pandora - Sananda Maitreya
18. Not Even Happiness - Julie Byrne
19. Stranger In The Alps - Phoebe Bridgers
20. Native Invader - Tori Amos
21. Dark Matter - Randy Newman
22. Live In London - Foy Vance
23. Live At The Barn - The Wood Brothers
24. Live From The Fox Oakland - Tedeschi Trucks Band
25. Endless - Richard Osborn
26. Elwan - Tinariwen
27. Reflection - Brian Eno
28. Here On Earth - Jenny Scheinman
29. Hudson - Jack Dejohnette / Larry Grenadier / John Medeski / John Scofield
30. Up And Coming - John Abercrombie Quartet
31. Preverbal - Matthew Stevens
32. I Am A Man - Ron Miles
33. Body And Shadow - Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band
34. A Rift In Decorum: Live At The Village Vanguard - Ambrose Akinmusire
35. Truth, Liberty & Soul: Live In NYC: The Complete 1982 NPR Jazz Alive! Recording - Jaco Pastorius
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 12/28/2017 06:37
  • Post subject:
And then, in the closing breaths of 2017, just when I thought I had my list of 35 nailed down, I find this brilliant album full of Byrdsian jangle and George Harrison slide guitar over delicious melodic guitar pop confections.

Silverlake by Pugwash
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 12/28/2017 12:45
  • Post subject:
It has been a good year for music, but there were not many standout albums. Brockhampton easily had the biggest 2017 and have three of the best albums of this year. The National and Bell Witch have my top 2 of the year and atmospheric music took the big win this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Temporary33

• Posted: 12/28/2017 15:48
  • Post subject:
Not a lot of appeal in the year. I barely listened to anything, but liked that album from mount eerie a bit. Just taking a look at rym's list, a lot of hip hop which I've just defaulted back to favorites anyways for. Slowdive released something, but the band members all have really weird faces. If you look at the picture of them they kind of look like aliens.
  • Visit poster's website
LordMark

Canada

• Posted: 12/29/2017 00:14
  • Post subject:
Personally, I think that 2017 was a disappointing year in music. Last year gave me A Moon Shaped Pool, Afraid of Heights, Teens of Denial, and Weezer (White Album). This year, all I got was Slowdive's surprisingly excellent self-titled 4th album.

Elsewhere, Queens of the Stone Age and Kendrick Lamar released disappointing follow-ups to ...Like Clockwork and To Pimp A Butterfly, respectively. And don't even get me started on Arcade Fire's Everything Now, an awful album which might very well have killed their career.

The mainstream music sucked, and I've really grown tired of depressing indie rock music.
  • Visit poster's website