Your own top 2017 albums & overall thoughts for 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
zdwyatt

United States

• Posted: 01/12/2018 16:57
  • Post subject:
SquishypuffDave wrote:
Fever Ray's self titled is one of the best things I've ever heard. I listened to her new one a couple of times, and I probably won't be revisiting it again.

Ugh, yes. Huge disappointment. Sad
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/13/2018 00:45
  • Post subject:
Semper Femina by Laura Marling is my favourite album of 2017. It's ace.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/17/2018 04:50
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
So there's still a few more days but I have been having a great time.

Holy shit. That was impressive.

I'll be honest, the whole reason I joined this site was I was grasping at straws to find good music after 2011. I was starting to get sick of my favorite artists of times past still making great music and wanted to find something new. BEA brought a whole world of great music I hadn't listened to yet and a bunch of noise (imo). It's hard at times to find stuff I find good. It's sometimes too much work to be worth it to me.

I know a lot of people give Arcade Fire a hard time for their release this year, and my first listen was the same reaction. Somehow this song got under my skin a way that really hit home. Self hatred and endless entertainment (infinite content), etc. It's something I struggle with personally, so it started to actually strike a chord with me. It's still easily not a fantastic release, but not nearly as bad as I think some are taking it.

Anyway, this song actually got me wanting more new music and for the first time since joining this site I discovered 100 or so albums for the year. It probably has more to do with the fact that I put effort into this year more than the actual music out of this year (I think a another user commented (Skinny?) when asked what year yielded the best music and the response was like, the past 60 years each had great music).

Any way, long story short I had a hard time spending time/effort into discovering new music and this year was great for me. I feel like I found some new artists who really are good/have great potential. Some artists I wasn't crazy about before released great records this year.

This list is in no way comprehensive, but way more than the usual 20 albums in a year that I will look at and more than half of those 20 are from artists I already like. I consider this a win.

This chart isn't complete yet, but here's a start (the last 10-20 or so I actually probably will remove because I didn't REALLY like them... they either were good, but not my cup of tea, or just terrible).

Top 100 Music Albums of 2017 by sethmadsen

Then here's an incomplete list of songs I like and why:
how do you sleep? by LCD Soundsystem - this song builds fantastic and was a grower for me.
Wow by Beck: It has that silliness you expect from Beck (Giddyup!)
Magnificent by Elbow: bass/rhythm section is great and that voice is always a treat
Swims by Mount Eerie: Geez this hits so hard on my memories of losing a loved one, so raw
DNA. by Mr. Lamar: masterfully written- staring racism in the face, and I love how solid the performance is
Creature Comfort by Arcade Fire: I blame this song for me wanting to evaluate 2017 - excitement for new music
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty: good lord is this song insightful
I Wanna Be Your Mirror by Temples: The layered melodies and vocal performance is infectious
Captain Hook by Vulfpeck: clever silliness is sometimes rare to come by: GitHub/Bootsy Collins... it good
Going Backwards by Depeche Mode: hard to pick the best commentary on that album, first few tracks great
House of the Rising Sun by Alt-J: This isn't just a cover - fantastic recreation on a whole new level
Stand by My Girl by Dan Auerbach: I was sold with: "gonna stand by my girl, if not she's gonna kill me" haha
Like The Piano by Sampha: this hit home that feeling a musician has with their instrument like no other. Good.
All Night by Big Boi: infectious pop song, and its good to hear him still rapping
Pills by St. Vincent: great commentary on our love for pharmacology
Soothing by Laura Marling: really cool textures played around with here musically, really dig
Bloodhound Rock by JD McPherson: at first I thought this guy was a hack, but he has great command of the style

Then my lame diary on my reactions (which are objectively wrong):
https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=19264
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 01/18/2018 00:09
  • Post subject:
To me, the best album releases came from Alison Krauss, LeAnn Rimes, and Trace Adkins.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. Of course, for me, 2017 ended up being another discovery year I guess you could say considering my newest favorite being another person from the past and all, I love my late beautiful precious Steve Sanders of the Oak Ridge Boys SO much!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 04:29
  • Post subject:
Offset had an incredible year so I had to give it to him and 21 Savage.
Slowdive's release was my second favorite.
  • Visit poster's website