Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 15:42
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Here is another of my favorite albums of 1991 I would like to recommend to everybody who likes their powerrock powerful and catchy.

Blind Love by Ratcat

Ratcat is an Australian band which already existed from 1986 on but only had their heyday on this 1991 album which is a gold nugget not rivaled by any of their other albums. They were fairly big in Australia (they even reached the number 1 place on the Australian album charts with this album) but not really known in other countries which is a pity.

One of my favorite tracks, Don't Go Now appears on this album but there's also the slowburners Hopeless mind and The End and the Ramones-like That Ain't Bad and especially Strange with its quirky stop start nature and experimental feel.

If you want a fantastic feelgood powerrock/punk album don't hesitate and give this one a go. After listening back to this album I moved it from the 6th to the 4th rank in personal top chart of 1991 and it's also high in my overall one album per artist top chart (at nr 34).

God. That cover is just awful. No wonder it didn't catch on. lol. I will check out it out soon! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 16:00
  • Post subject:

Time For A Witness by The Feelies

This was a brand new discovery for me & one of my top finds of 91 so far. It's a total grower. I wrote it up here...

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...398#499398
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 01/18/2018 16:28
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

This was a brand new discovery for me & one of my top finds of 91 so far. It's a total grower. I wrote it up here...

Thx i’ll give it a listen as well
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2018 21:40
  • Post subject:

Cerulean by The Ocean Blue

Thanks for the rec, Gowi. I really like this. It won't crack my top twenty (so I won't write about it), but it's quite good & will definitely make my 1991 year chart somewhere. Dihannse, I'm not absolutely sure but I'd b willing to bet that you'd dig this even more than me. Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 01/19/2018 22:00
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

I was really sorry this album wasn't available on Apple Music so I listened to it via Youtube and I was so excited by it that I bought the CD via ebay (my first CD buy since a long time).
I agree with all that you say Tilly and to me it makes me think mostly about the last Dream Syndicate album which was one of my favorite albums of last year: a real guitar album with also a Velvet Underground atmosphere (You just have to listen to Find A Way and Decide). And to top it up there's naturally also that Stooges feel proven by their cover of Real Cool Time.
Maybe it's a negative point that they lost their lo-fi feel of the first albums but that doesn't matter here: their new swagger is making up for all of that.
Thx a lot for the rec. This one will shoot far up my personal top chart of 1991 and it's a shame it's ranked so low on BEA.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/20/2018 04:03
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:

I was really sorry this album wasn't available on Apple Music so I listened to it via Youtube and I was so excited by it that I bought the CD via ebay (my first CD buy since a long time).
I agree with all that you say Tilly and to me it makes me think mostly about the last Dream Syndicate album which was one of my favorite albums of last year: a real guitar album with also a Velvet Underground atmosphere (You just have to listen to Find A Way and Decide). And to top it up there's naturally also that Stooges feel proven by their cover of Real Cool Time.
Maybe it's a negative point that they lost their lo-fi feel of the first albums but that doesn't matter here: their new swagger is making up for all of that.
Thx a lot for the rec. This one will shoot far up my personal top chart of 1991 and it's a shame it's ranked so low on BEA.

Awesome!!! Super psyched u checked it out and loved it. It really is a killer guitar album. That's what I kept thinking for the two weeks it was stuck in my car stereo. lol.

I had no idea the Dream Syndicate even released an album last year. I really only know their first couple of albums. considering how much I love their sound, I should definitely delve deeper.

Yeah, it's really weird this album hasn't received much attention. It appeared on no one's 1991 end of year lists including publications such as Allmusic (about ten individual lists, all of which r quite good), Spin, Village Voice etc. Just weird. It's definitely makes my top twenty. One of my best finds so far, right up their with Chris Whitley's debut.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/20/2018 14:44
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:

Cerulean by The Ocean Blue

Thanks for the rec, Gowi. I really like this. It won't crack my top twenty (so I won't write about it), but it's quite good & will definitely make my 1991 year chart somewhere. Dihannse, I'm not absolutely sure but I'd b willing to bet that you'd dig this even more than me. Very Happy

It’s like a more dream pop The Smiths with none of Morrissey’s obnoxious prattling (if you dislike that kind of thing), so I think a lot of people would have some mileage with it as a record.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2018 12:08
  • Post subject:

The Real Ramona by Throwing Muses

Listening to this album all these years later & in the context of all the other '91 albums I've been binging on, I just realized just how freaking important this album was in cultivating the ALT ROCK sound of the 90s. They were totally on the bleeding edge of commercial rock.

Simply one of the best AOR Alt Rock albums of the 90s. Absolutely Essential.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/21/2018 13:53
  • Post subject:
I feel dirty that you called one of my favorite alt rock records "AOR". Eugh.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2018 14:15
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I feel dirty that you called one of my favorite alt rock records "AOR". Eugh.

lol. AOR for the ALT ROCK nation to come. Yeah, I never thought of it that way at the time either. I LOVED this album. Then & Now. But, you totally know what I mean. The sound and production of this album would become so influential over the next couple of years for what you'd hear on the radio.

I don't consider AOR a dirty word anymore though. lol. I used too. I definitely used to.

edit: just looked up AOR on wikipedia and look what I found ...

The phenomenal success of the album-oriented rock and the highly competitive battle for ratings likely contributed to the format splintering to reflect different stylistic perspectives. The 1980s saw some stations adding glam metal bands such as Mötley Crüe and Bon Jovi, while others embraced modern rock acts such as the Fixx, INXS and U2. But by the end of the decade, AOR stations were playing fewer and fewer new artists and the rise of grunge, alternative and hip-hop accelerated the fade-out of the album-oriented rock format. By the early 1990s many AOR radio stations switched exclusively to the classic rock format or segued to other current formats with somewhat of an AOR approach:

Active rock: Today's mainstream AOR, playing acts such as Stone Temple Pilots, Nickelback, Creed, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park and Korn. The active rock format was pioneered by the formerly broadcast (now internet only) "Pure Rock" 105.5 KNAC-FM out of Los Angeles, California in 1986. KNAC Program Director/DJ Tom Marshall and KNAC Music Director/DJ Michael Davis had previously worked at rock station KFMG/Albuquerque, NM. Active rock was also pioneered by the nationally syndicated Z Rock Network (which lasted from 1986 to 1996) and expanded upon by WXTB-FM out of Clearwater, Florida starting in 1990.
Adult album alternative (known as Triple A) echoed a softer AOR without the hard rock or heavy metal. For a time Seattle's KMTT even promoted Freeform Fridays, and the Grey Pony Tail Special to highlight the halcyon days of FM radio. WXRT/Chicago is a long running AAA station. Other Triple A stations with strong heritage are KINK/Portland, Oregon and KBCO/Denver-Boulder.
Modern rock or Alternative: Pioneers in this format were KROQ-FM in LA and 91X (XETRA-FM) in San Diego, taking the AOR programming approach to music with new wave, punk, college rock and grunge/alternative leanings, mostly in the 1980s.
- from Wikipedia
  • Visit poster's website