5%  [3]
9%
 9%  [5]
Total Votes : 51

AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/29/2017 23:12
  • Post subject: Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 2: The 1970's
After 5 days of voting in part 1 of this poll, 46 votes were cast and moving on to the next round are 1967, 1969, and 1966. Three years of devastatingly good output and innovation.

Now, for the next poll, The 1970's. Each year will have BEA's current top 10 attached. These are some of my favorite years ever for music. Again, the top 3 vote-getters will be moving on to the semi-final round. In the case of a tie for 3rd place, the year with more total points on BEA will move on. Let's discuss the next decade of influence, impact, and innovation.

-Paranoid- Black Sabbath, After the Gold Rush- Neil Young, Bridge Over Troubled Water- Simon and Garfunkel, Plastic Ono Band- John Lennon, Led Zeppelin III, Moondance- Van Morrison, All Things Must Pass- George Harrison, Fun House- The Stooges, Bitches Brew- Miles Davis, Let It Be- The Beatles

- Led Zeppelin IV, Who's Next- The Who, Hunky Dory- David Bowie, What's Going On- Marvin Gaye, Sticky Fingers- The Rolling Stones, Blue- Joni Mitchell, Meddle- Pink Floyd, Tago Mago- Can, L.A. Woman- The Doors, Fragile- Yes

-The Rise And Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars- David Bowie, Exile On Main Street- The Rolling Stones, Pink Moon- Nick Drake, Harvest- Neil Young, Transformer- Lou Reed, Close To The Edge- Yes, Machine Head- Deep Purple, Thick as a Brick- Jethro Tull, Foxtrot- Genesis, Ege Bamyasi- Can

- The Dark Side of the Moon- Pink Floyd, Houses Of The Holy- Led Zeppelin, Quadrophenia- The Who, Innervisions- Stevie Wonder, Selling England By The Pound- Genesis, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road- Elton John, Raw Power- The Stooges, Band on the Run- Paul McCartney & Wings, Aladdin Sane- David Bowie, Berlin- Lou Reed

- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway- Genesis, Red- King Crimson, On The Beach- Neil Young, Crime Of the Century- Supertramp, Rock Bottom- Robert Wyatt, Diamond Dogs- David Bowie, Court and Spark- Joni Mitchell, Sheer Heart Attack- Queen, Here Come The Warm Jets- Brian Eno, Queen II

- Wish You Were Here- Pink Floyd, Blood On The Tracks- Bob Dylan, Born To Run- Bruce Springsteen, A Night at the Opera- Queen, Physical Graffiti- Led Zeppelin, Horses- Patti Smith, Another Green World- Brian Eno, Tonight's The Night- Neil Young, Toys In the Attic- Aerosmith, Mothership Connection- Parliament

-Songs In the Key of Life- Stevie Wonder, Ramones (s/t), Station to Station- David Bowie, Hotel California- Eagles, Boston (s/t), 2112- Rush, Desire- Bob Dylan, The Modern Lovers (s/t), A Trick of the Tail- Genesis, Rocks- Aerosmith

-Rumors- Fleetwood Mac, Animals- Pink Floyd, Marquee Moon- Television, Low- David Bowie, Nevermind The Bullocks- Sex Pistols, The Clash (s/t), Aja- Steely Dan, Exodus- Bob Marley & The Wailers, "Heroes"- David Bowie, The Stranger- Billy Joel

- Darkness On The Edge of Town- Bruce Springsteen, This Year's Model- Elvis Costello, Van Halen (s/t), Parallel Lines- Blondie, The Cars (s/t), Some Girls- Rolling Stones, The Man-Machine- Kraftwerk, 3rd- Big Star, Hemispheres- Rush, More Songs About Buildings and Food- Talking Heads

-London Calling- The Clash, The Wall- Pink Floyd, Unknown Pleasures- Joy Division, Fear of Music- Talking Heads, Entertainment!- Gang of Four, Highway To Hell- AC/DC, Off the Wall- Michael Jackson, Rust Never Sleeps- Neil Young, Breakfast in America- Supertramp, Tusk- Fleetwood Mac
rkm

• Posted: 12/30/2017 00:20
  • Post subject:
I'm having a 1970 morning here.

An easy start with:

Sweet Baby James by James Taylor

Followed by

Ladies Of The Canyon by Joni Mitchell

And

Elton John by Elton John

Everything Is Everything by Donny Hathaway

Let It Be by The Beatles

Last edited by rkm on 12/30/2017 04:57; edited 3 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/30/2017 00:36
  • Post subject:
A huge dilemma. 71, 72 and 73... I've somehow eliminated other great years and albums, but I just can't choose here. Too tough for a simple music lover.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2017 01:21
  • Post subject:
It's hard to pick just one year from the 70s since I have so many favorites, but I'll go with 1971. Besides all of the great albums by classic rock bands, 1971 was also the best year ever for classic albums by female artists. There were more great albums by females in 1971 then any other year I think.

Pearl by Janis Joplin

Blue by Joni Mitchell

Tapestry by Carole King

Live At Fillmore West by Aretha Franklin

Gonna Take A Miracle by Laura Nyro And Labelle

Carpenters by Carpenters

Anticipation by Carly Simon

Gather Me by Melanie

If I Were Your Woman by Gladys Knight & The Pips

Spring by American Spring

Music by Carole King
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2017 02:37
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
A huge dilemma. 71, 72 and 73... I've somehow eliminated other great years and albums, but I just can't choose here. Too tough for a simple music lover.

I ended up choosing 1971 because the top 50 was an unbelievable string of classics, underrated gems, and basically just important records from 1-50+, also one of the most impeccable top 10's on this site.

For my personal tastes, 1972 is an amazing year for prog as Yes, Genesis, and Jethro Tull all release what I would probably say are their best records.

1973 has been one of my absolute favorite years for a long time and I say you would be hard pressed to find a stronger top 5 on this site for a single year- Dark Side of the Moon, Houses of the Holy, Quadrophenia, Innervisions, Selling England by the Pound. That's always baffling to me.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2017 02:41
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
It's hard to pick just one year from the 70s since I have so many favorites, but I'll go with 1971. Besides all of the great albums by classic rock bands, 1971 was also the best year ever for classic albums by female artists. There were more great albums by females in 1971 then any other year I think.

Excellent point and yes many classics that year from female artists. Great examples. I just got around to Joni Mitchell's Blue last week and I've never really heard anything quite like it, very beautiful album.
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2017 02:43
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
I'm having a 1970 morning here.

An easy start with:

Sweet Baby James by James Taylor

Followed by

Ladies Of The Canyon by Joni Mitchell

And

Elton John by Elton John

Everything Is Everything by Donny Hathaway

Some beautiful records there, a wonderful year for singer/songwriter and the Elton John debut is underrated I would say.
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 12/30/2017 03:09
  • Post subject:
So far I am alone in 1974 Sad I wish I had lived in that year. Listening to On the Beach or Crime of the Century, both personal favourites, when they were reseased must have been marvellous. Plus the return of King Crimson with Red.
  • Visit poster's website
jmo32087

• Posted: 12/30/2017 03:30
  • Post subject:
1977 is probably my favorite music year ever. Clash s/t, 2 classic Iggy Pop, 2 classic Bowie, Kraftwerk, Talking Heads debut, Marquee Moon, Exodus, Animals, 2 great Ramones albums, Pink Flag, Damned Damned Damned, just an unreal year.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/30/2017 06:35
  • Post subject:
My 70s list has lots of 1970 albums... and so does my top 10 of that decade... so 1970 for me.
Top 100 Music Albums of the 1970s by sethmadsen

Top 33 Music Albums of 1970 by sethmadsen
  • Visit poster's website