2018 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2018 16:47
  • Post subject:
I'm usually not a fan of Pitchfork placing a lot of emphasis on the which songs fit into the current musical zeitgeist on their songs list, but I'm actually a really big fan of their #1 this year. It's a song that is both culturally relevant and an absolute bop, one of my favorites of the year for sure. I only looked at the top 20 and there were some headscratchers but I didn't have a problem with most of it.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/10/2018 16:56
  • Post subject:
It's a godawful reboot of 'The Downtown Lights' which removes all the impressionistic beauty and subtlety of the lyrics and vocals, replacing them with overly earnest, wannabe anthemic, self-important word vomit that reads like a bad GCSE English poetry entry and is delivered with an obnoxious wail and clumsy cadence. In other words, it completely encapsulates 2018. I've heard it once and that was more than enough.
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 12/10/2018 22:35
  • Post subject:
Sometimes, when I get confused by Pitchfork's choices for their lists, I would process the visual information (cover art, song titles, etc.) and usually I would understand their thought process. However, nothing about this flows coherently at all, which makes me even more confused by their choices.

Though "Love it if We Made it" deserves to be the best because, while y'all do have legitimate criticisms for it, there's this weird kind of catharsis that I get from listening to it (that's what I ended up getting with their newest one as well, to some extent). It's the only thing that I can make sense of in an, otherwise, fucking shitty year that as 2018. Although I wish "Sincerity is Scary" made the list too.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/10/2018 23:01
  • Post subject:
Really liked Earl's album.

Glanced through P4k's songs list, realized how much of it I don't even know. Listened to The 1975 song, I don't really get it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/10/2018 23:48
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
Listened to The 1975 song, I don't really get it.

I only got around to hearing it for the first time about a week ago when I gave their new album a spin. I hadn't heard any of their songs beforehand, but it was an aight release.

Not loving it as much as others,

Quote:
Though "Love it if We Made it" deserves to be the best because, while y'all do have legitimate criticisms for it, there's this weird kind of catharsis that I get from listening to it (that's what I ended up getting with their newest one as well, to some extent).

but also not hating it as much as others.

Quote:
It's a godawful reboot of 'The Downtown Lights' which removes all the impressionistic beauty and subtlety of the lyrics and vocals, replacing them with overly earnest, wannabe anthemic, self-important word vomit that reads like a bad GCSE English poetry entry and is delivered with an obnoxious wail and clumsy cadence. In other words, it completely encapsulates 2018. I've heard it once and that was more than enough.

I think it's a slightly above-average pop-rock record.

Love It If We Made It is def an 80's revival track smushing The Downtown Lights and We Didn't Start The Fire together with a personal twist. Whiiiich makes me believe it won't age well. Wasn't my favourite cut on the album, but I don't have anything harsh to say about it. It kinda just is. Being said, it's the first time a hip-hop track hasn't topped their list in a couple years, and their first British pick in over a decade.

On a harsher note, gave these a listen for the first time today:

Travis Scott - Sicko Mode
Troye Sivan - My My My!
Rae Sremmurd - Powerglide
Slowthai - Ladies
Pistol Annies - Best Years of My Life
Post Malone - Rich & Sad
Migos - Stir Fry

And thought they all ranged from meh to awful. But I suppose that's just me being no fun.

But yeah, it's a weird list with a couple highlights scattered about. At the end of the day, I'm just not sure what kind of statement Pitchfork's trying to make by excluding This Is America (I kinda get the Kanye exclusion, but that's fairly petty).
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2018 00:51
  • Post subject:
^Strongly disagree on Stir Fry, which is straight flames. But it's a 2017 release Think

This Is America is incredibly overrated as a song and is a deserved exclusion. Good video, but it's not a list of best videos.

Overall this is a pretty underwhelming list from Pitchfork though. Is it worth listening to the #1 pick and perhaps its album if I don't like The 1975?
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/11/2018 01:05
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
^Strongly disagree on Stir Fry, which is straight flames.

To be fair, that landed more on the meh side. It feels a bit gimmicky. I'm just not too into Migos. I find everything they've done sounds exactly like Bad & Boujee, just not as good.

baystateoftheart wrote:

Overall this is a pretty underwhelming list from Pitchfork though. Is it worth listening to the #1 pick and perhaps its album if I don't like The 1975?

Course, give it a spin. Gives you an opinion. The track's only like.. 4 minutes long. I don't have anything else to compare within the 1975's discography, but consensus seems to be that this is their best work to date.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/11/2018 13:36
  • Post subject:
HazeyTwilight wrote:
fucking shitty year that was 2018

???
HazeyTwilight
boyfriend in your wet dreams

Ireland

• Posted: 12/11/2018 14:48
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
???

Maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration and I only said what I said because 2018 was personally a terrible year for me. If anyone else had a better year than me, then that's great.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 12/11/2018 17:27
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:

Don't know what you're referring to but that sounds like an amazing train-wreck

EDIT: nvm now I know Laughing Didn't hate it as much as you seemingly do but yeah kind of agree with more than a little bit of all that
  • Visit poster's website