Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/08/2019 20:09
  • Post subject:
travelful wrote:

Tana Talk 3 by Benny The Butcher

underrated hip-hop record. one of the years best.

Yeah, Griselda had a very good year. Probably slightly preferred Westside Gunn's Supreme Blientele, though Benny is undoubtedly the most skilled rapper of the lot. Brilliant Mobb Deep throwback shit.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 01/17/2019 04:05
  • Post subject:

Origami Harvest by Ambrose Akinmusire

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/18/2019 03:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Possibly a little overlooked. Less jazz-rap and more jazz with rapping. Solid stuff.

TBH found it rather underwhelming compared to his previous releases, prefer it when he's a bit more fiery on his... Trumpet to this more standard crossover jazz but it's aight enough.

Anyways Still going through 2018 albums so any recs are welcome as long as there's no fucking trap snares or body switching with Kendall Jenner
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 01/18/2019 06:51
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Hayden wrote:

TBH found it rather underwhelming compared to his previous releases, prefer it when he's a bit more fiery on his... Trumpet to this more standard crossover jazz but it's aight enough.

Anyways Still going through 2018 albums so any recs are welcome as long as there's no fucking trap snares or body switching with Kendall Jenner

You should totes check out Proc Fiskal's Insula, which is this sped-up instrumental grime album full of beautiful melodies and a lightness of touch not normally associated with the genre. It uses video game sounds and assorted vocal clips really cleverly, and is somehow both airily serene and yet hyperactive at the same time.

There's a good chance you've heard it, but Blood Orange released another gorgeous collection of queasy, fragile, half-finished, slyly funky, Prince-indebted, intimate R'n'B balladry with a rotating cast of carefully curated collaborators and right-on interview samples that really tie the thing together. His stuff is winking and fussy, though, so it's not for everyone.

Haley Heynderickx has a fucking beautiful voice, and her I Need to Start a Garden is a strong set of folk-rock songs, with some quietly progressive production choices. She's like a wordier Angel Olsen, or a more muscular Fionn Regan.

I bigged up Makaya McCraven elsewhere in this thread. Dense, propulsive, modern jazz with a trip-hop sensibility.

Nathan Salsburg put out another album of comforting, rural fingerpicking. His shit just feels immediately familiar, and I find myself putting it on all the time, despite - or, rather, because of - it being super inoffensive.

RP Boo feels like he's been around longer, and is still doing more interesting things, than anybody else in footwork.

I could not understand Shygirl's Cruel Practice for the life of me, but it felt vital.

Soccer Mommy's smart and catchy throwback '90s alt-rock teencom soundtrack fodder kept me going on many walks to work, and she was mad charming live. I like her stuff.

Tirzah's Devotion is clearly a masterpiece and should be widely regarded as one.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 01/19/2019 12:22
  • Post subject:

V. by Wooden Shjips

This is pretty good. Psychedelic, fuzzy, spacey, groovy. Sounds like a summer record but I enjoyed listening to it in the past few days.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 01/19/2019 14:25
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
Hayden wrote:

You should totes check out Proc Fiskal's Insula, which is this sped-up instrumental grime album full of beautiful melodies and a lightness of touch not normally associated with the genre. It uses video game sounds and assorted vocal clips really cleverly, and is somehow both airily serene and yet hyperactive at the same time.

There's a good chance you've heard it, but Blood Orange released another gorgeous collection of queasy, fragile, half-finished, slyly funky, Prince-indebted, intimate R'n'B balladry with a rotating cast of carefully curated collaborators and right-on interview samples that really tie the thing together. His stuff is winking and fussy, though, so it's not for everyone.

Haley Heynderickx has a fucking beautiful voice, and her I Need to Start a Garden is a strong set of folk-rock songs, with some quietly progressive production choices. She's like a wordier Angel Olsen, or a more muscular Fionn Regan.

I bigged up Makaya McCraven elsewhere in this thread. Dense, propulsive, modern jazz with a trip-hop sensibility.

Nathan Salsburg put out another album of comforting, rural fingerpicking. His shit just feels immediately familiar, and I find myself putting it on all the time, despite - or, rather, because of - it being super inoffensive.

RP Boo feels like he's been around longer, and is still doing more interesting things, than anybody else in footwork.

I could not understand Shygirl's Cruel Practice for the life of me, but it felt vital.

Soccer Mommy's smart and catchy throwback '90s alt-rock teencom soundtrack fodder kept me going on many walks to work, and she was mad charming live. I like her stuff.

Tirzah's Devotion is clearly a masterpiece and should be widely regarded as one.

Yeah I heard most of those but maybe this prompts a re-listen. My headphones went to shit though so will have to wait a day
  • Visit poster's website
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 01/20/2019 20:26
  • Post subject:
For any last 2018 recs, I'm gonna plug this end of year list from a radio station that I write for occasionally (not music related things) https://radiostudent.si/Glasba/DJ-Grafi...bumov-2018.
Or rather two end of year charts, one also exclusively for slovenian albums. From those I haven't heard that many, although I will recommend balans, not that great, but it's got a pretty interesting sound, and that Motorik beat all over the album. And maybe Tovariš Strmoglavljen. Matter are the slovene idea of trap and are beyond parody at this point.

Last edited by 19loveless91 on 01/23/2019 21:27; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2019 01:46
  • Post subject:
Daydreamer wrote:

V. by Wooden Shjips

This is pretty good. Psychedelic, fuzzy, spacey, groovy. Sounds like a summer record but I enjoyed listening to it in the past few days.

Thanks for the rec, I'll check it out. Sounds like something up my alleyway.
  • Visit poster's website