Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/24/2018 03:35
  • Post subject:

The Sciences by Sleep

This was fucking great. Welcome back, Sleep.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2018 11:04
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
if you all wanna hear some kinda weird jazz that still has a lot to grab on to and doesn't go all noodily, you should check out Anteloper - Kudu https://intlanthem.bandcamp.com/album/kudu

Thanks. I had no idea this existed. I love Jamie Branch. My brother used to play with her a bit out on Chicago before she relocated.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/24/2018 15:30
  • Post subject:
Haven't really seen these releases discussed on BEA, got some time to kill so some casual thoughts

KOD by J. Cole

This is the first and only Cole album I've heard. Almost all I've ever heard about Cole is that he's overhyped and not as good as fans make out, but I swear I've never seen any of those fans. I don't know who they are or what they look like, almost everyone I've come across think he's mediocre at best.

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said - KOD is about as dull of a Hip Hop album you can get, but it's not bad. Weird thing is that I keep coming back to it, like I know it's not that great but it's easily digestable and easy to put on. Most of the songs are just beats with like two notes, but I like the stripped down sound and the lack of features (even if the latter is because of Cole's own pride). It's like putting your hand in body temperature water or something. J Cole has a million ways to say something but he's hardly got anything to say. A good rapper, a bad artist.

Everything's Fine by Jean Grae X Quelle Chris

Listened to this plenty of times and still think it's an amazing release. Impossible not to compare to Quelle Chris' release last year, which was my AotY. This is definitely the more accomplished album, but I still prefer 'Being You Is Great'. 'Everything's Fine' has a very clear message, whereas 'Being You Is Great' seems to be about nothing at all but still seems to say a lot more. I like all the messages found here, whether the alt-right listen to Quelle Chris I don't know, but it does teeter on being just a hint too preachy for my taste. Jean Grae is great but she sounds a little bit like a big fish in a small pond, Quelle Chris wears this album like a warm blanket. Beats are much more refined and layered but less interesting.

Also album art is terrible. I get it's ironic but there's better ways of going about it. Wish they just used this photo:

Care For Me by Saba

Only spun this a few times, but went from meh to being blown away pretty quickly. Just adore the tone and the hooks and the beats here. Everything flows super nicely but there's some technical things going on behind the hood. Definitely has that jazz rap vibe that Kendrick achieved with TPAB, albeit not quite as operatic. I like that though. It's a rainy Sunday album, it finds it's mood and it carries it.

My first hesitation is that it was a bit too mopey, but then I learnt that Saba's cousin literally fucking died, so that emotional energy is totally used right. Maybe that's the perfect thing about the album is that it's really about his cousin, but he takes that and makes it something relatable from it. "I'm not mad at God, I just can't get out of bed", things like that. It's the day to day. I love that it doesn't like it's trying to impress me. Saba was on Hannibal's podcast last year and he came across like just a regular, down to earth guy. I can dig that.

I'm surprised Melon didn't like this one. He dismissed it as doing nothing he hasn't heard before, but if there's more hip hop out there like this then I'd love to hear it.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/24/2018 16:17
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Wish they just used this photo:

Oh, Christ yeah, that's waaaaay better. I was merely hoping they'd release a version of the album art without the awful font Laughing

But yeah, that's the best album I've heard from 2018 so far. Stellar stuff. And that Saba album's not far behind... really cool ideas on that one.

Starting to dive deeper into 2018. Dig up all the good stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2018 17:30
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

This is the first and only Cole album I've heard. Almost all I've ever heard about Cole is that he's overhyped and not as good as fans make out, but I swear I've never seen any of those fans. I don't know who they are or what they look like, almost everyone I've come across think he's mediocre at best.

You should come to any North Carolina university and ask around. I go to college near the Raleigh area and ignorant hip-hop fans around here will swear up and down he's one of the greatest rapper ever. Many will go as far as to say he actually is the greatest ever. It's actually really entertaining because I will try to talk hip-hop with these people and many have no idea what they're talking about, of course.

As far as I'm concerned he is 1/5 on his albums. Forest Hills Drive was actually pretty decent. I thought he was going to amount to more than he has honestly with the potential that album showed.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/25/2018 10:07
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Starting to dive deeper into 2018. Dig up all the good stuff.

2018 has been really slow to start, but I think things are really started to gain momentum. There's some very promising Hip Hop releases scheduled for the summer that I'm buzzing for.

travelful wrote:

You should come to any North Carolina university and ask around. I go to college near the Raleigh area and ignorant hip-hop fans around here will swear up and down he's one of the greatest rapper ever. Many will go as far as to say he actually is the greatest ever. It's actually really entertaining because I will try to talk hip-hop with these people and many have no idea what they're talking about, of course.

As far as I'm concerned he is 1/5 on his albums. Forest Hills Drive was actually pretty decent. I thought he was going to amount to more than he has honestly with the potential that album showed.

Makes sense, I guess that's just not my scene. It's funny because I get the impression from some of his lyrics that he despises the type of person you describe, but his attitude toward rap attracts exactly that crowd. He's like the unintentionally ironic version of Hopsin.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2018 13:00
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

The Sciences by Sleep

Seconded, this album is fantastic

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/27/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:

Until Death Call My Name by YoungBoy Never Broke Again

Another amazing release from a rapper with unsettling criminal charges.

Keep having to have that internal 'art from the artist' internal debate when it comes to Hip Hop lately.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/28/2018 09:07
  • Post subject:
brun027 wrote:

https://ebotaylor.bandcamp.com/album/yen-ara

New Ebo Taylor is fire !!

Yeah, what a stellar release. Some of his best material to date, and they guy's like.. 80+ years old? One of the best African releases of the decade, easy.

Also, the new Janelle Monae is pretty solid. Going to watch the film she made once I have time.

Grouper's latest, albeit short, is also really good.
  • Visit poster's website
lukem14

• Posted: 04/28/2018 10:35
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
Gowi wrote:

The Sciences by Sleep

Seconded, this album is fantastic

So good! I'm envious of those who picked up the RSD vinyl copies of this LP too

AOTY so far:
AAL - 2012 - 2017
Iceage - Beyondless
Sleep - The Sciences
Daniel Avery - Song for Alpha
Vintage Crop - New Age

Very much looking forward to Jon Hopkins' Singularity LP