2018 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 10/29/2018 21:41
  • Post subject:
Yeah, Aviary is her Have One On Me. Beautiful. It's back to her slightly more experimental roots with the musicality and sensibility of Have You In My Wilderness. Really outstanding stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 11/03/2018 17:00
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
I disagree on the genre classification and earth shatteringness of the julia holter album. I'm 5 listens deep and put it at number 3 for the decade and I'll probably end up putting it higher.

Finally got around to giving this a couple of listens. I am intrigued enough to give it more listens, but I'm not very impressed yet. It has many qualities I thoroughly enjoy in other albums, but something seems off in the alchemy. One thought I've had is that it's overcrowded. Right now, the standout to me is the bassist, who I found out is Devin Hoff, who I know from The Nels Cline Singers and an earlier line-up of Ken Vandermark's Made to Break. Holter is someone who I've intermittently revisited because it seems like her music should appeal to me; I really enjoy Tragedy and some of the early live experimentation I've watched, Ektasis is very good, but Loud City Song made me uninterested enough to skip Have You in My Wilderness (which is silly, I know). Was interested in this because it's being hailed as an art rock/pop masterwork in some places, but what's new and exciting to those avenues might not line up with what I had in mind. Was also interested in it having a jazzy pool of musicians; I feel like there are comparisons to be made between Holter and Hval's directions this year. I think the primary negative for me is that the voice is so prominent and, though Holter's cadences are interesting, I haven't bought into it's use or the lyrics; it is music built around a song, rather than music with voice interfacing with or draped over the music. That's fine but, for me to be interested in it, the song has to be on point, e.g. Joanna Newsom. I do hope she plays with this formula in future releases, and I'm gonna give this one a couple more tries
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 11/03/2018 20:36
  • Post subject:
https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/11/...-sessions/

Looks like we're getting another London Sessions like album from LCD. Not a studio album, but from the looks of it there should be some interesting covers on it.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2018 05:01
  • Post subject:

You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters

Yeah, this is very good.

Here are some other terrifying things that were released last week if your in the mood. Just added by me.

Permanent Destitution by Hissing
Death Metal

My Mother The Vent by Guttersnipe
Absolutely noisy craziness
  • Visit poster's website
gloriousgoo

• Posted: 11/05/2018 05:56
  • Post subject:
The Julia Holter album is really climbing fast, but I have to say I hope it doesn't eclipse Twin Fantasy as album of the year on here. There's just something about that album that I think really sets it apart from everything else that's been released this year.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2018 08:24
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Finally got around to giving this a couple of listens. I am intrigued enough to give it more listens, but I'm not very impressed yet. It has many qualities I thoroughly enjoy in other albums, but something seems off in the alchemy. One thought I've had is that it's overcrowded. Right now, the standout to me is the bassist, who I found out is Devin Hoff, who I know from The Nels Cline Singers and an earlier line-up of Ken Vandermark's Made to Break. Holter is someone who I've intermittently revisited because it seems like her music should appeal to me; I really enjoy Tragedy and some of the early live experimentation I've watched, Ektasis is very good, but Loud City Song made me uninterested enough to skip Have You in My Wilderness (which is silly, I know). Was interested in this because it's being hailed as an art rock/pop masterwork in some places, but what's new and exciting to those avenues might not line up with what I had in mind. Was also interested in it having a jazzy pool of musicians; I feel like there are comparisons to be made between Holter and Hval's directions this year. I think the primary negative for me is that the voice is so prominent and, though Holter's cadences are interesting, I haven't bought into it's use or the lyrics; it is music built around a song, rather than music with voice interfacing with or draped over the music. That's fine but, for me to be interested in it, the song has to be on point, e.g. Joanna Newsom. I do hope she plays with this formula in future releases, and I'm gonna give this one a couple more tries

I actually haven't heard that Hval from this year yet, I wasn't keeping up with the new stuff at that time so I have a lot that slipped thru the cracks that I need to check in on. But reading the description, it seems like it fits into a general trend that I've been very into that factors into Laurel Halo - Dust or Oren Ambarchi - Hubris and Quixotism, where you get music that involves collaborators who have a significant presence themselves, contributing music that is not an exact realization of the music that was in the top billed musician's head, but is still directed by that musician in a way where it does truly belong to them. And I mean yeah in general this isn't a new idea or anything, I've heard of jazz, but I think it's been manifesting in some interesting ways on recent releases that operate in rock/pop modes, and I'd put Aviary in that camp.

I do think it comes through in the sound, though the posts Holter has written about the process and her collaborators here http://www.gorillavsbear.net/tags/julia...-takeover/ make a pretty strong argument for it. But yeah, I do think all of this leads to some strong songs that do significant things that are not offered by other music. I think it's totally fair not to care for it for whatever reason, like I just can't get into the sound of Joanna Newsom's music. But I will absolutely argue over whether these songs are on point.

Like there was this one time I was watching a video game stream of the recent Friday the 13th game. If you're playing as Jason it gives you a first person camera view. But I saw it where a glitch happened, and the camera got knocked back slightly while the character model stayed in the same place, so that you saw the inside of the character model and the outside world thru small eye holes. The inverted shape of the model, like looking at a mold, was surreal and hilarious. I connected it at the time with Valerio Tricoli - Clonic Earth, the way it used artificial heavy noise reduction type timbres made it feel like it lived in that negative space. But I think Holter accomplishes something similar on Chaitius. The opening portion is a composition transcribed from an improvisation, and then it launches into a full band thing where they flesh it out into a full song with some freedom allowed. The way the music of the beginning exists in that fully fleshed out music (coupled with the weird distortion that pops up in the beginning and the weird vocals on the transition) operate in a way that feels like seeing the mold, living in the negative space, and then crossing the threshold into the real world. I think the music depends on all of this, and it's this journey that makes the triumphant finish feel earned. And the balance between collaborators bringing themselves into it VS the realization of a singular vision seems crucial to how this all operates, and amazes me.

There's just so much stuff like that that blows me away, I think this one is very special.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 11/05/2018 11:48
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:

You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters

Yeah, this is very good.

Agreed. This album is a monster. People who dig Swans should love it.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 11/06/2018 16:30
  • Post subject:
Not 100% sure on the Daughters record yet. It's miles above their other work for sure, but I'm just not loving it. I feel like there's this immaturity to it or something... a little forced. Maybe I'll flip, dunno, but for now it's like a.. 6.5-7/10 album.

Anyway, in a year that I can't help but feel was dominated by the album, what's the general consensus on song of the year status?
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 11/06/2018 16:43
  • Post subject:
i wasn't too impressed with the daughters album either, and it's not cause i have anything against noise rock. it really just didn't connect with me on any level, positive or negative. felt pretty bland, but that's just one listen, and i usually change my mind with nearly every album 2-3 listens in.

Hayden wrote:
Anyway, in a year that I can't help but feel was dominated by the album, what's the general consensus on song of the year status?

i always suck at answering this question cause it's really not consistent with how i listen to music, but a couple of tracks that've stood out to me:

the mgmt cell phone song
villagers: sweet saviour
cosmo sheldrake: hocking <---- greatest thing ever
voidz: qyurryus
johnny goth: faith
janelle: make me feel
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/08/2018 14:12
  • Post subject:

Parcels by Parcels

If you haven't gotten hip to this album yet, you should. It's funky and a blast to listen to

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website