2018 Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/04/2018 19:35
  • Post subject:
Can't be bothered to update my 2018 chart at the moment (or maybe ever), so for now here is my top 50 of the year as of this date:

50. jpegmafia – Veteran
49. scallops hotel – sovereign nose of (y)our arrogant face
48. Mr. Fingers – Cerebral Hemispheres
47. Novelist – Novelist Guy
46. MIST – Diamond in the Dirt
45. YoungBoy Never Broke Again – Until Death Call My Name
44. тпсб – Sekundenschlaf
43. E-40 – The Gift of Gab
42. Curren$y, Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist – Fetti
41. High On Fire – Electric Messiah
40. Playboi Carti – Die Lit
39. Vince Staples – FM!
38. Kali Uchis – Isolation
37. Noname – Room 25
36. Armand Hammer – Paraffin
35. Mozzy – Gangland Landlord
34. Accü – Echo the Red
33. Benny The Butcher – Tana Talk 3
32. YG – Stay Dangerous
31. Mariah Carey – Caution
30. Bongripper – Terminal
29. Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet – Landfall
28. Haley Heynderickx – I Need to Start a Garden
27. Westside Gunn – Supreme Blientele
26. Lucy Dacus – Historian
25. Sarah Davachi – Gave in Rest
24. Blood Orange – Negro Swan
23. Janelle Monae – Dirty Computer
22. Spiritualized – And Nothing Hurt
21. Phonte – No News Is Good News
20. Soccer Mommy – Clean
19. Jean Grae & Quelle Chris – Everything’s Fine
18. Jenny Hval – The Long Sleep
17. Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
16. Nathan Salsburg – Third
15. RP Boo – I’ll Tell You What!
14. Manga Saint Hilare – Outsiders Live Forever
13. Eli Keszler – Stadium
12. Hieroglyphic Being – The Red Notes
11. Robyn – Honey
10. Payroll Giovanni & Cardo – Big Bossin Vol. 2
9. Pusha-T – Daytona
8. Maxo Kream – Punken
7. Hermit and the Recluse – Orpheus vs. the Sirens
6. Julia Holter – Aviary
5. boygenius – boygenius
4. Makaya McCraven – Universal Beings
3. Galcher Lustwerk – 200% Galcher
2. Earl Sweatshirt – Some Rap Songs
1. Roc Marciano – Behold a Dark Horse

Don't lie, you know it's the list you all have been waiting for anyway.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 12/04/2018 21:58
  • Post subject:
craola wrote:

i'll have to go back and listen to that one a second time. i was stoked for its release (loved her previous album), but i was pretty disappointed. it struck me as rather bland and uninspired next to her other work. otherwise, i'm chuffed to see so many albums i haven't had a chance to listen to yet. there's so much music being released every day that it's hard to keep up with anymore.

Eh. Like, I might too, but I don't recall it being that good. Definitely not her best music, and I'm mixed on the costume/ambience thing, but it's certainly not a bad record. I figured Sophie would take their #1. I hadn't even a clue Suede released anything this year until I scrolled to the bottom.

Quote:

And thanks for the list Skinny. Gotta admit, I gave this a listen last week and was bored to death for 80% of it. Figured it'd be along this lines of a live-version Madlib, but everything seemed so unsubstantial, repetitive and thin. Felt like it didn't need to be anything over 30-min long. Wanna share some insight? Think Perhaps it's better in small doses?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/04/2018 22:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
craola wrote:

i'll have to go back and listen to that one a second time. i was stoked for its release (loved her previous album), but i was pretty disappointed. it struck me as rather bland and uninspired next to her other work. otherwise, i'm chuffed to see so many albums i haven't had a chance to listen to yet. there's so much music being released every day that it's hard to keep up with anymore.

Eh. Like, I might too, but I don't recall it being that good. Definitely not her best music, and I'm mixed on the costume/ambience thing, but it's certainly not a bad record. I figured Sophie would take their #1. I hadn't even a clue Suede released anything this year until I scrolled to the bottom.

Quote:

And thanks for the list Skinny. Gotta admit, I gave this a listen last week and was bored to death for 80% of it. Figured it'd be along this lines of a live-version Madlib, but everything seemed so unsubstantial, repetitive and thin. Felt like it didn't need to be anything over 30-min long. Wanna share some insight? Think Perhaps it's better in small doses?

Can't argue with the fact that it's repetitive, though I find repetition strangely comforting. Whilst not revolutionary, I think the percussion is uniformly great - skittering, dense, propulsive - and there are some really cool sounds and tones set against each other throughout. It's not particularly melodically striking or structurally varied, but it cultivates a vibe I really relate to, one that's communal and yet intimate, a feeling of friends locking into a groove and applying new textures sporadically without ever trying to steal the spotlight. But the "small doses" comment makes a whole lot of sense; this record is basically four EPs stuck together, featuring four different bands who share tonal similarities but are all sonically distinct (barring the aforementioned percussion, which ties the whole thing together), showcasing some outstanding individual musicians in relatively humble 'team player' mode. It's also accessible, though, like a rawer take on trip-hop, only with jam band tendencies, but also slyly progressive in nature, a surprisingly natural mix of live performance and patchwork sampling that blurs the lines between both, providing innumerable exquisite moments but crucially never at the expense of the whole. But yeah, it's more manageable (and, probably, more enjoyable) when taken as four EPs.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2018 22:42
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Can't be bothered to update my 2018 chart at the moment (or maybe ever), so for now here is my top 50 of the year as of this date:

It would take just as long (or longer) to put all of these entries in a chart, unless you copied and pasted them from elsewhere? :/
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/04/2018 22:50
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Skinny wrote:

It would take just as long (or longer) to put all of these entries in a chart, unless you copied and pasted them from elsewhere? :/

I keep a Word Document list I can just add numbers to.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2018 23:30
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Skinny wrote:

I see.
  • Visit poster's website
craola
crayon master

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 00:22
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Skinny wrote:

ah man make that a spreadsheet so much more convenient
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 12/05/2018 01:07
  • Post subject:
Pretty disappointed with thequietus' list. Been missing Complete Communion this year. Only heard about 20 of those albums but the only ones I'd recommend a listen to are Long Sleep, Slowly Paradise, and Reckonings (which is probs best of the three). Still not sold on Aviary. Hard to swallow JPEGMAFIA and Cardi B sandwiched in with extreme metal and noise. Talk about film, culture, and cassettes more than music now. Where is Autechre? Still need to listen to all the stuff they dropped towards the end of the year
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 01:28
  • Post subject:
the wire list is cool because it has bloody sirens http://www.yearendlists.com/2018/12/wir...es-of-2018
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/05/2018 02:08
  • Post subject:
NPR's entry feels like it was intended to be as much of a conversation-starter or sociopolitical statement as it was a year-end list. The writeup opens with the sentence "Art is identity, scream these best albums of 2018." That sets the tone for the list as a whole, in which representation of women and minority groups appears to be a priority, although according to NPR it was based on adding up votes cast by staff. There are no men in the top thirteen albums - all are by solo women or groups including only women.

There's a lot of good music on the list and some stuff I'll need to check out. I do wonder whether the methodology was more complex than they're letting on, or whether it was just a coincidence how it turned out. Think